VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Lauren
Re: becoming a vet
August 28, 2009 04:51PM
Heya

My name is lauren and im from the UK. Im going into year 11 this year and really want to become a vet.

Im not sure what i needed to become a vet so wondered if anyone could help me.

- what qualifications do i need?
- what subjects shall i take and college?
- and any more information any one has i would be grateful......

Thanks
animal lover
September 09, 2009 04:19PM
i really want to be a vet im trying so hard in science i really want to know what its like and i love animals im only 12 and my dream has been like this for all my life.

what subjects shal i take in yr 10 or 9

help please!
Mizzy binzy
September 10, 2009 12:24AM
Hey!im a yr 8 student and want to be a vet but i need to know subjects to take.well,g2g,please reply!!!!!!!

Mizzy binzy
danielle mckenna
September 18, 2009 10:00AM
HI, my names danielle i want to be a small animal vet but i dont know how to start hellpp mee..
Nicole
September 18, 2009 02:23PM
Hi Lauren,

i am 15 and know what you mean I can answer that if you live in the UK you need an a level in physics or maths AND biology AND chemistry.
Sophie
October 03, 2009 02:30PM
Hello, I'm Sophie. I'm 14 years old and I'm in year ten. I live in England and I really want to be a vet. The problem is I don't think I'm going to be able to get the grades I need, so I was wondering; if I'm that convinced I might not be able to become a vet should I just set my sights on veterinary nurse instead?

I'm just worried about the salary of a veterinary nurse and that with that money I might not be able to support myself.

Sophie.
Tamara Hamilton
December 09, 2009 07:18PM
Hi, im Tamara i am 15 years old and doing really well in my grades and really want to be a vet so i was wondering how long does it take to become a vet what range is the pay if fully qualified and how much does it cost to get into vet school?
Please help,
Tamara, Bolton England, Little Lever
Thank you .x
Flo
January 10, 2010 04:17PM
Hi,
My name's Chloe, I'm in year nine at a school in Cambridgeshire. I am very interested in becoming VET SURGEON, are there any websites or tips you could give me in choosing my options for year 10. I really hope you could help me and give me some advise in what to do.

Chloe
Abbie
Re: Becoming a vet when I am older
March 08, 2010 08:53PM
Hiya I am Abbie.

I really really want to become a vet when I am older but I am scared that I am not smart enough. Can you tell me what subjects I need to study most I am in year 9 and I am doing a land and environment diploma hopefully next year. This is about plants, animals and the environment and the lady that is teaching me this said that it will be helpful because it will be a start in my career and will give me 7 GCSE stars smiling smiley

Please reply smiling smiley
Re: Becoming a vet when I am older
March 09, 2010 09:42AM
Hi, Abbie,

You need to concentrate on science - to get into a UK veterinary school you will need A levels at A or A* grades in Chemistry Biology and Physics or Maths.

W
vicki anderson
April 12, 2010 05:56PM
Hi Hope you can help
In brief my son is 18 on his second year at Writtle College doing National certificate in animal management , done a year volentary work for a vat and has come to the decion that he wants to become a vet but has no A levels any help cratefully recieved many thanks in advance.
connor lyon
April 20, 2010 11:19AM
hi my name is connor , i am 13 years old and realy want to become a vet however i dont no much and need some info about what grades i need to get.
April 20, 2010 03:47PM
Dear Connor,

If you look back at some of the earlier entries on this site you will find all the information you require.

w
lottie hollins
June 06, 2010 08:27PM
hello
i really want to be a vet but there are a few things i am not sure about that are holding me back. I know all the places that do it, what grades i need etc (i do pity you for having to answer the same questions the whole time haha)

basically i used to love everyhting to do with nature, from the rising sun to the sound of a red kite in the sky. (totally gay huh?!) However as i have grown up i have lost that total love of the whole thing. Is that just a case of growing up, or have i lost a vital aspect of being a vet. Also i am slightly scared of cows and horses because, to be honest- i've never had much experience of them. I admire them (from afar) but am just a bit cautious.
People always tell me that i would be up to it (mostly because of that) and i was just wondering...

My sister started summer work at a climbing park last summer- and she said that at the beginning it did make her scared a bit at the top... but then with more experience she grew used to it.
Could it be the same for me? I'm not terrified of them- just had a few bad experiences

I'm in the midst of AS levels at the moment and really need a push because im just not as enthusiastic anymore...
Thank you... sorry about the essay tongue sticking out smiley

Lottie hollins
(born an' bred a country kid)
June 08, 2010 07:40AM
If you are having doubts -DON'T. being a vet is a very demanding, although fulfilling life, but if you have doubts at this stage it is not for you.
tigers rock
April 09, 2011 09:16PM
hi i am 11 and i want to know what i should do to become a vet when im older
millie
April 14, 2011 05:11PM
I am 13 years old, and i have wanted to be a vet of some kind since a very early age. I would like to work with unusual animals so i think a zoo vet would be best. I am about to go into year 9 where i have to chose the subjects i am to take on for the future years i am at secondary school. I believe that biology, chemistry and physics have been mention but you must need other A levels and GCSE's to work on becoming a vet... ? Could someone please get back to me as i believe i could make a good career being a vet as i am in the top sets of all of my lessons ( science and math mainly). Thank You smiling smiley
bex
May 05, 2011 06:41PM
Hi I am wanting to be a vet and I do intend on furfilling my goals but maths is'nt my strongest subject, I do well in biology but have not yet started chemistry or physics + does an A in english help my chances. I am also doing voluntary at a vetinary clinic, just helping out and such
Please email me personally or post a response. K thanks smiling smiley
Requirements for the Veterinary Course
June 15, 2006 06:54AM
Hi, Verity,
You asked what were the GCSE requirements to get in to a veterinary school at University.
Because of the pressure of people ( especuially girls) who want to become veterinary suregeons, the GCSE standards required for entry are very high.
For more information, wou might like to go the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons web site - www.rcvs.org.uk, or to that of any of the universties which have a veterinary school - London, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Bristol, Cambridge and, from October 2006, Nottingham.
Good luck,
Walter
Re: Requirements for the Veterinary Course
August 02, 2006 04:52PM
It is A level passes that count usually 3 A's or 2 A's and a B (if they love you and want you at there Uni). But you must SHINE at interview. The individual Universities require different amounts of work experience ranging from Farm, Kennels through to Veterinary practice. Contact the Universities for their own requirements.
As for GCSE's, Maths & English are paramount to get onto an A level course. You should be aiming for A's in Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Other subjects just A-C but that depends on the requirements of your sixth form?FE College.

Hope this helps

Regards Laura
callum
November 12, 2007 06:39PM
hi umm im at secondary school but whaat options do you need to take to be considerd?
November 13, 2007 11:28AM
Hi, Callum,

You are best advised to ask the individual University veterinary school about their entry requirements, but I know that as well as good range of subjects at O level, you will need straight As in Chemistry, Biology and Physics at A level to have a reasonable chance of acceptance.

W
Jill
universitys
February 12, 2008 04:43PM
is there any universitys that have a vetinary school in n.ireland?
February 12, 2008 05:25PM
Hi, Jill,

No, and before you even think of applying to one elswehere I suggest that you learn how to spell 'veterinary'

W
TOMBOY--N-I-K
May 18, 2008 08:27PM
Are these G.C.S.Es good enough to impress a veterinary college?
* Maths
* english (+english lit)
* science (biology, physics, chemistry)
* History
* BACS (BUISNESS AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS) (like advanced I.C.T)
* French (early entry)
* Cookery

p.s - I am a year 9 girl and about to start these options (last 4)

ps (again) - what does it mean when you say that
"because of the pressure of people (expecially girls)" ?
what do you mean expecially girls?
May 19, 2008 07:18AM
Hi,

They sound good to me.

As far my comment about girls goes, more than 80% of veterinary students now are girls, and although, as far as I know there is no discrimination either way, it does suggest that far more girls are applying for entry into university veterinary schools than men.

W
Lottie
July 03, 2008 06:54AM
Hi

Do you think that I have any chance of being accepted onto a veterinary course if I have taken these GCSEs?

-The compulsory subjects (Maths, English+English Lit, Science = I will get two GCSEs for science)
-Art
-Sociology
-Creative graphic design
-French
Amy
January 13, 2009 07:08PM
Hi,
I got 8 A's at GCSE in English Literature, Maths, Physics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and French but i got a B in English Language and a C in my Art exam. Will this put me at a disadvantage for Veterinary Medicine? Thankyou.
January 14, 2009 08:06AM
Hi, Amy,

With results like those in the essential subjects, I do not think any Vet School Admissions would care about English Language and Art B grades!

W
Katie
February 13, 2009 05:54PM
yes it did very much thank you
i am just about to choose my GCSE's and have wanted to be a vet since i was six years old!!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved