VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
sandy ar
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
November 26, 2011 12:49PM
what a levels do you need and what marks do you need in them i am having a nightmare with my GCSE
anonymous
what job can i get?
December 02, 2011 05:56PM
hi, I have just started year 7 at my secondary school, and when i am older i would love to become a vet.I have alot of experience with animals, I have had two horses, and breed my own guinea pigs, I have alot of fish and 2 dogs and a cat, and i am in top set in all of my subjects at school.if i won't become a vet, what other jobs are there that include working with animals, especially horses and ponies.thank you very much,
Sophie smiling smiley
Rose Smith
December 04, 2011 04:41PM
Hi,

I am currently studying my A levels and I need to find out what qualifications are needed to become a vet please can you list what you got in high school and college and what you studied in Uni. Thank you very much it is much appreciated as this is for my coursework

xxx
-
December 05, 2011 07:35PM
Hi
Im currently in Yr 9 at school and i have wanted to become a vet all my life, in school i an aimed to get A*or As in my scince GCSE's but only a B in maths! Would this really matter? Also what would i need in my A levels to be a vet??
Thanks smiling smiley
Emma
December 06, 2011 09:48PM
Hi, I was wondering what subjects I need to take on to be a vet. I have to pick my gcse subjcts soon and i would like to know what I should take on.
I was thinking:
-triple award science/ double award science ----which would be better----
-history
-spanish
-music
-then just the basic cumpulsory-r.e. etc...

please help me cos i'm alomst sure that i will be a vet and i would like to have the best chances possible smiling smiley
Thanks
xoxo
Jade
December 13, 2011 10:05PM
Hello, I am 16 and have just done my GCSE's, i got:
A Biology
A chemistry
A physics
A art
B maths
B english
B english literature
B music
C history
C latin
Currently i am taking Biology Chemistry Psychology and Ancient history AS levels, i am predicted to get 2A's and 2 B's. Is this high enough grades to allow me to become a vet? If not is there any other jobs around the medical profession which i could do? thanks, jade.
liv
December 16, 2011 05:01PM
hi there i am only 12 but are they the reults i would need to get to become a grate vet the can travel all over the world ?
Evie
August 16, 2012 05:54PM
Hi, I'm in my 3rd year at high school and I've been interested in being a vet since I was tiny. What GCSE and A-Level results would I need to get to become one? I know it's years until I get a job, but also what sort of places should I do work experience in?
If this helps, I started my French language GCSE in my 2nd year, and I am finishing+getting my results in this year(3rd year)
Thanks!
Student Starting 2012
August 19, 2012 10:13PM
Just having been accepted to do veterinary medicine I would say that with all due respect attaining a C at GCSE chemistry wouldn't stand too well for attaining the required A grade at A level as Chemistry is a required and very demanding subject.

Best of luck anyway!!
Anonymous
August 25, 2012 12:10PM
I am going into Year 7 next year, so i want to know the precise sort of grades and subjects i need! I passed the 11+, and am at a private school.
goalie123
August 25, 2012 05:00PM
Hi,
I'm doing my GCSEs next year and I was just wondering if IGCSE sciences are a good thing.
I am looking to go to an american university on a hockey scholarship. I am also very interested in becoming a vet in the army -like my vet.
I also do ccf at school now and really enjoy it.
I really want to be a vet!!! Also i have done 1 months work experience and have a referance from them. I have only done one third of my maths gcse and i got a C so retaking it next year. The subjects I take are:
maths - higher tier- im supposed to get an A but probably a B
english lit-igcse B
english lang-igcse B
theology - A*
P.E- A
physic-igcse B
chemistry-igcse B trying
biology-igcse A
history -B
french-
latin- want a B

Can you please give me a guide line of what grades i should achieve in all my subjects that would be acceptable.
Also i am 15 !! thank you for your helpsmiling smiley
Help?
September 05, 2012 11:34AM
Hello, I got pretty bad AS results cause i didn't really revise since my parents were fighting and all. I got 1 C and 3 Ds in my AS because I did well in one unit but bad in another. But I got good GSCE results. Im planning to resit 5 of my modules soo I can get As in all my AS subjects and be doing 4 A2 exams this year which Ill revise for to get As in them too. My predictive grade is AABB. Is there a chance of me getting into RVC?
zacch
September 05, 2012 11:41PM
Hi there....I would like to know specifically, if i have to do biology, chemistry and physics to become a vet. I am curently choosing my subjects at the ordinary level and i am contemplating dropping chemistry. my other career choice is to become a piolt for which i do not need chemistry. Please help!
Lisa Dawkins
September 06, 2012 06:06PM
heya why do u need geography can i ask
Amy
September 10, 2012 08:00PM
Hi,
Im going to choose my GCSE subjects soon and I'm confused on what to choose. I'm thinking of doing
-additional maths,
-the englishes,
-biology,
-physics,
-chemistry,
-art
-a language
along with the ones I have to do. As far as I know I should do well on all of these subjects in GCSE. I'm extremely keen on becoming a vet, since I want to help animals and I don't mind operations etc. I think I could get a job on a farm in a few years, will this help? Will these choices be okay to become a vet or is there a better choice? Also how long is it to study to be a vet in university and is it a difficult course?
Thanks
Animania lova
September 12, 2012 04:30PM
He obviously hasn't a clue. I know loads of people who have became vets without the top marks such as C's, D's and even E's but that doesn't mean you can slack around and not do it to the best of your ability. Try your hardest and then you will be noticed and never give up on a dream. Be heard! Be noticed! Be courageous! And most of all have fun along the way. I'm only a 13 year old and in year 9 but I know my stuff. Sorta. I have done millions of research about being a veternarian (i hope i spelt that right!) and I have realized the paths i need to take, the subjects needed, the strength I'm going to need to do things like putting an animal down or failing at saving its life, having to tell the owners, knowing i've failed someone. But there are advantages such as great salary, you won't have much difficulty finding a job, you are less likely (compared to other doctors) to be sued, there are many types of jobs to choose from such as exotic animals, house pets, farm animals and even aquatic species. The only hard bit is loosing a life and also the studying for 5 years part- BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE NOT PREPARED!!! The options to pick in year 9 to take in year 10 needed are biology, chemistry, physics, english, mathematics, i guess history would be cool as you learn about medicines and also it looks good on applications, also if you are cold hearted and don't feel for people when they are sad, take drama so you can at least try to pretend your upset too so the person doesn't feel alone in this loss. Some experience would be great, such as animal shelters, dog homes, vet practices, nature centres and volunteer to help people as often as you can so you get used to it. Language always looks good on application forms and its always a good idea as you never know one day a russian person might come up to me and say "Hello, I need your help and I could be like i can help this person because one I'm a vet and two I'm best in my class at russian. Sorry I know I'm a bit of a show off... WAIT! Thats what you need to do isn't it? Show off your great grades and make sure people see that there is a really cool vibe that shows how good you would be at this job. Be recognized from a crowd, be your own person, follow your own dreams!

I know I'm a bit weird but I like helping people so i guess thats another reason why i want to be a vet. I hope I have helped rather than creeped you out but I'm sure you'll think back one day and say "I remember that wacko girl that said that crazy stuff..."- or maybe not!

I hope you guys live all your lives to the full. It's not about how you fall down in life, it's how you pick yourself back up again!

Bye!x

P.S~ Don't regret anything you do in life, because in the end it makes you who you are...
sophierotherforth
September 12, 2012 06:09PM
do you NEED physics to become a vet even if you have a's maths, biology and chemistry ?
Kellishea:)
Re: I really want to be a vert but I don't think I have the grades.
September 25, 2012 09:24AM
Hi, I am in year 11 and about to turn 16, I am currently working at a D in science and an A/B in english and a C in maths.i know these grades are not the best but I also have 2 voluntary jobs, one with a local stables and another with a bird of prey centre, i also have worked closely with great danes, other dogs and cats. I applied for work experience in basically all vets local and out of the way but was unsuccessful and i have ended up in a grooming parlour for dogs and cats for the weeks work experience. I have a great love for the good for animals so finally being able to work with them as a vet would be a dream come true! I have no idea where to go next, do i go and see if i can get an apprentaship with a vets or go to college. If college, what courses do I look for? Any advice would be fantastic!
Re: I really want to be a vert but I don't think I have the grades.
September 27, 2012 11:24AM
Hi Kellishea

I'm sorry but I dont think these grades will get you near your goal. There is no apprenticeship to become a vet, It's a university degree requiring high grades for entry, usually 'A's occasionally a 'B' in the science subjects and maths at A level. Some people complete another related science degree before they can gain entry to a veterinary medicine degree. Visit the website rcvs.org.uk/education which tells you more info

This doesnt stop you working with animals though and having a very satisfying career, so keep gaining good work experience as you are already doing. You might be ultimately become interested in becoming a veterinary nurse. There is more info on how to aim for that career at the website bvna.org.uk

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Yi Jia
October 01, 2012 01:44AM
Hi,

I would just like to thank you for the above information in helping us in becoming a vet. I would just to ask, what other forms of qualifications would be necessary in ensuring your place in a vet school, other than good grades, and possible work experience in a clinic? With regards to that, is it essential to have certain veterinary knowledge and expertise before helping out at a clinic?

Thank you!

Regards,
Yi Jia
October 01, 2012 08:45PM
Hi

Getting good 'A' level grades are a key factor but not the only thing important thing for gaining a place in vet school. Prior to entry you don't need to demonstrate much in depth veterinary knowledge, but a keen interest and as much experience as possible in working with and around animals can be useful. As a start, many schools run work experience schemes which could offer a student placement at a vet's clinic or other relevent work experience such as at a stables, a kennels/cattery or on a farm. If you demonstrate enthusiasm and can learn skills of working with animals at these types of places over a period of time that all helps and strengthens any application to vet school.

Mae Lavender
October 08, 2012 08:11PM
Hi, I'm only 12 at the moment, but my dream is to be a vet. For GCSE I've planned to do 3 sciences, 2 Englishes, maths, French, Spanish, RE and geography. For A level chemistry, biology, maths and either French or Spanish. At the moment I have predicted level 8's in science and RE and 7's in all others listed for end of KS3. Are these the right subjects and are there any other useful tips?
October 08, 2012 09:22PM
Hi Mae

You are certainly planning well ahead and yes you do need to get A level science subjects as you have planned -Chemistry, Biology, Maths or Physics with high grades to get into Vet School. Visit the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website www.rcvs.org.uk/education for some further information. Work experience with pets and other animals is also very important for experience and because you really need to know if you enjoy being around animals. Your school should be able to help arrange it but you will have to wait until you are a bit older, usually Year10 to be able to do work experience. Meanwhile keep some pets! they are a great way to start getting that experience. I am guessing you probably do that already. Good luck.

theratgirl
October 17, 2012 08:03PM
Hi, I have always wanted to become a vet and work very hard to hopefully get there one day. I am so glad I came across this website as I am in the process of picking my A-levels and am not sure what to do.
At the moment I am doing my GCSE's and I am predicted all A* grades. I have been doing work experience alongside this and I have a saturday job at a kennels and cattery.
For my A-levels I am thinking of doing chemistry, biology, maths and psychology. Would psychology be a sensible option to take or will it look like a 'weak' subject on my application? I will most likely drop it after AS level.
Also, I have to pick a core subject that I can drop after AS. My choices are world development, economics, critical thinking and independent study task. I am having trouble choosing between critical thinking and independent study. Our teachers have said that critical thinking is a very highly regarded A-level, but the universities I am interested in (Nottingham and Bristol) both say that they don't accept it as an A-level which is highly confusing! The other option, independent study, looks to be very interesting as you can choose your own topic to research yourself and produce a 5,000 word paper on at the end. I could research something I am very interested in, for example rat genetics and occurrence of tumours, and produce my own dissertation on it. However I can't find any information on this A-level and whether or not vet schools accept it. If anyone can provide me with any information I would be really grateful!
Thanks for reading, Emily
October 23, 2012 08:05PM
Hi Emily

Broadly speaking your science and maths A level plans sound fine to me as main subjects. Whilst your core subjects all sound very interesting, I am not in a position to know which one contributes best academically towards your application. I think you do need to be guided by the opinion of universities you are interested in. If they say they don't accept a subject then I guess it means it doesn't contribute to your aim of getting into a Vet School. Remember, those universities are the key decision makers on your application! If the particular ones are of interest to you then I suggest you contact them again directly to ask for more details and current information on the subjects that they will accept. Best wishes.

Annabelle
November 21, 2012 06:24PM
Hey im in year 7 and i want to become a vet, and i need to find out what Qualifications are needed to become a vet.
pleas reply
thanks smiling smiley
November 23, 2012 11:29AM
Hi Annabelle

Broadly speaking you need to aim for high grades in your GCSE's, especially the science subjects, followed by aiming for high grades in science A levels. For more information visit [www.rcvs.org.uk] where its all detailed.
I see you've got a few years to work on all this yet so good luck with your studies.

Evie
December 07, 2012 08:30PM
Hi, I'm in year 9 at high school and have wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. I have recently chosen my options and I have picked: Health+Social Care, Hospitality+Catering, Geography and Sociology, as well as the main 3 subjects- Maths, English and triple Science. I took my French GCSE early and in August 2013 I will find out my results in that subject. I was just wondering what grades I would need to have to become a vet, and what uni would you recommend???? Thanks smiling smiley
December 08, 2012 10:50AM
Hi Evie

To aim to be a vet you should concentrate on your sciences because you need to aim for high grades in your GCSE's, especially the science subjects, followed by aiming for high grades in science A levels. I dont have any particular recommendation for which University you should try for but there's only a limited number that offer Veterinary Medicine as a course. That's all detailed on www.rcvs.org.uk which is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website and gives career guidance details. Good luck with your studies.

Rhiannon Hucker
March 19, 2013 05:34PM
Hi
I am 15 and am completing my GCSE courses .I aim to become a Vet (Pets first then farm animals as a speciality).

I have chosen to take the following courses at GCSE level :
Biology-Predicted A-B -Higher tier exam-Top set class
Chemistry-Predicted A-B -Higher tier exam-Top set class
Physics-Predicted A-B -higher tier exam -Top set class
English-Language -Predicted A-B -Higher tier exam -Top set class
English-Lit-Predicted A-B -Higher tier exam -Top set class
Maths-Predicted C-B -Higher tier exam- second top set class (I am getting a tutor to try to boost my grade)
Welsh-Predicted A-B -Top set class
History-Predicted A-B
Art-Predicted C-B (I realised some way through the course it wasn't for me so whether or not I will pass is in question)

I am taking Geography and I.T next year. I have done some work as a farm hand last spring feeding, Cleaning animals and also delivered some lambs and also keep chickens horses and a dog whom I share responsibility for with my sister.I am in the process of securing a volentry saturday job working with animals .I was just woundering if in your opinion all is in order for me to become a vet.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved