VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Re: i want to be a vet
August 05, 2008 03:12PM
Hi, Megan,

You will have to be clever enough to get good exam results before you can even think about going to University to study to become a vet.
Unless your spelling and grammar improves a great deal, I am sorry, but you havn't a hope. Sorry, but you did ask.

W
Danielle Thomson
December 08, 2008 06:44PM
Hi I am Danielle Thomson I am 13 years old and i would like to be a vet.Can you tell me what exams you need to be a vet ? but i dont like blood would I get over this. any advice you can give me would be gratefully.

Regards

Danielle Thomson
December 08, 2008 08:20PM
Hi, Danielle,

If you look back at some of the earlier e-mails on the Veterinary Students site you will find all the information you need, and much more.

W
Max
January 08, 2009 09:29PM
Hi,
I am 13 too smiling smiley I would also like to become a vet. My GCSE options are on friday so do you know what i need to become a vet? I get worried at school sumtimes coz i think "am i clever enough to do this" but i try my hardest and hope i can make it. Also do u know what would help me to sort of practice being a vet in a way by just working at a local animal shelter or something, Do u know anyone who would let me work at an animal place at 13 years old?
Thank you smiling smiley
Lucy Brown
Please can you help?
May 07, 2009 04:50PM
Hello,

I'm Lucy i'm 11 years old, i have wanted to be a Veterinarian all my life i'm worried though because i know you need good maths to be a vet but my maths is terrible. I have learnt all i possibly can of being a vet. I AM DIEING OF BEING A VETERINARIAN!!! I'm sure you can help me can't you?
chikku
August 04, 2009 02:12AM
hi
there is no connection between maths & being a vet. only thing is you should have thorough knowledge in biology especially zoology. anyway more than that your aptitude is important if you are a practitioner. any one who dont like blood leave the idea
Kimerberly
August 04, 2009 04:28PM
Hi, I am a vet student. Just some thoughts for people. Max, I got my first placement in a vets when I was 14, worked every Saturday there until a few months before my GCSE exams, so it is possible to get at placement at that age, just be prepared to clean kennels, walk dogs, make coffee, scrub kits etc. and the rest of the time stay out of the way and be sensible about things.

Danielle, during the first placements I attended, the first incision done on an animal, when it was all nicely scrubbed and intact, always made me cringe. Also, vets sticking needles into body cavities/organs "apparently" blind, especially thoracentesis (chest wall). While I have never been bothered by blood, it bothered me that I had a problems with these. First of all, if your problem with it isn't too severe, you will desensitise to it, secondly, when you have more knowledge and experience you have a better idea of how much blood is too much blood, and what to do about it. If you want my advice, go to youtube or yahoo videos and search for some veterinary surgeries, because they have so nice procedures there. Watch the videos and see how you feel.

Regards,

Kim
Zoe Barker
December 06, 2009 01:36PM
Hi my name is Zoe,
I am 15, currently in year 11 doing my GCSEs. For a long time I have wanted to be a Vet, but I am a little confused on how to become one.
I am wondering if anyone could tell me where I need to go after year 11(apply), and what qualifications I need to be able to become a veterinary nurse. If anybody could give me any advice on this, I would be very greatful

Zoe
December 06, 2009 04:49PM
Hi,

There is a big difference becoming a vet and becoming a veterinary nurse.

A veterinary surgeon has to study for 5 years at a University veterinary school, but the veterinary nursing course is much shorter./

For more information go to www.rcvs.org.uk

W
Natalie
I want to be a vet!
December 27, 2009 02:53AM
Hi
Am am hoping to be a vet when I grow up and was wondering if you have any ideas on what would help me practice be a better one. Because I want to be prepared for everything and I think it would be a good start to start early. Thanks!

Natalie (Eleven years old)
Katie ( 11 years )
May 17, 2010 07:35PM
Hi Im Katie, Im 11 years old and i am desperate to become a vet smiling smiley

I have dreamed of becoming a vet since i was 6 years old.

I'm not quesy with sick, blood, organs or anything!

I have been told i should cry and be upset when i put an animal down but i shouldnt be in tears as i would feel that i have helped the animal a great deal.

What things should i concentrate on to ensure me a vetenarian future??

Many Thanks, Katie x
May 19, 2010 09:46AM
You must work hard at school and get good grades in Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
When you are a litle older - say 13 or 14, get jobs in kennels and stables, working with animals, and then see if you can persuade a vet to let you help in the surgery or hospital for a time.
Grace x
May 27, 2010 05:52PM
Im Eleven And I Really Want To Become a vet but Is It A Life changing exsperience or is it hard work,,...............

Please Reply
May 27, 2010 07:15PM
It is hard work, both to become a vet and to be one.
EmmaB
March 20, 2011 09:06AM
Heyy, I'm Emma and i'm 15, i also want to be a vet and the best thing i can say to all of you is get experience, do well in science maths and english and most importantly believe that you can do it! because if you begin to doubt yourself you will not do very well as my freind learnt when he began to doubt himself and then lost his place for work experience. Confidence and good grades will help you live your dream smiling smiley
Olga Petrova
March 24, 2011 05:47PM
Hi my name is Olga and i am 15 years old

I have always wanted to be vet or a veterinary because of how much i love animals and want to help them if their ill. I was wondering if you can get anywhere in lurgan a part time job to practice because i am so good with animals and can take care of them. i am in year 11 and i am doing my GCSE's and some of them are'nt good like science but i'm trying hard because i know i need my science to become one. but i would really appreciate if someone could tell if i can find a part time job somewhere in lurgan and if i can do it?
i would love to have a part time job to work, help, walk, take care of animals and etc. if you could help me out i would really appreciate it smiling smiley
i spend time with my neighbours 2 dogs and i love playing with them and all the other animals. i would just love to work with animals.
please someone help mesmiling smiley

thank you sooooo much
and i really hope that you will help me
out. smiling smiley xx
Robyn Parker
April 26, 2011 08:51PM
Hi im Robyn, i am doing my home work, its about my career i want to be a vet as i love animals im 13, i need to know "what do you do as a vet?" and "what special skills and personal qualities are needed?" it would be fantastic if you could let me know as soon as possible. Thank you for your time reading this. smiling smiley xx
Marisa
May 09, 2011 07:07PM
Hi all,
My name is Marisa and i am 13 yrs old. I would really love some advice on choosing my options next year and i would really appreciate it if anyone could list the qualifications which i need. I am top in both Science and Maths, so would that help push me further?
Thanks for your help!
Marisa x
Billy G
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
May 21, 2010 02:33PM
im in year 10, and i took the options of... triple science, business and art... I know that art is not going to get me anywhere tongue sticking out smiley ... at the moment i have an A* in physics A in biology and an A in chemistry... I also have an A in maths and english... what else would i need to get in the future to become a vet ?
May 21, 2010 05:33PM
If you live in the UK and these are A levels you mention you have a very good chance of getting into a veterinary school on these alone.
Hannah G
May 05, 2011 07:13PM
hi there,

I'm also in year 10, and I just wanted to add that i've learnt that getting into veterinary is not only about grades- you have to have LOADS of work experience. I have worked at a cattery, and am currently working at a farm at weekends. I'm finding it difficult to find work at the moment, seeing as I'm 15, however once I turn 16 it will be possible for me to find work at a vet.
It is highly recommended to get work experience!

Regards,

Hannah
lauren
becoming a vet
August 04, 2006 08:26AM
hi everyone im lauren and im in senior school 10th year i really want to be a vet but there are some problems i am facing can any of you help me with them here they are;

I don't know what subjects to take in collage?
I dont know where to go after collage eg do i go to a university or do i go to vet school or are they the same thing?

if you can help me please do

thankyou

lauren
Re: becoming a vet
August 04, 2006 12:16PM
Hi, Lauren,

The requirements to get into veterinary school vary from country to country, and you do not say where you live, so I am not really able to help.

Probably the best person to advise you is the careers master/mistress at your school, who should have all the relevant information.

Walter
gem
January 26, 2007 10:44AM
i'm 18 and wnat to become a vet,what qualification do you need?
i have qualifications in english and maths but not science.
January 27, 2007 10:00AM
Hi, Gem,
I see from your address that you live near Edinburgh. If so, contact the Clerk of the Faculty at the Royal (D) School of Veterinary Studies. You will probably need Highers in Chemistry, Biology and Physica at A or A*.
W
Claire Bourdon
May 08, 2007 01:14PM
I am 29 and have decided I really want to be a vet... I have known for years that this is what i have wanted to do because i have been surrounded by animals my whole life.... including owning several dogs and horses..

I have been working as a flight attendant for the last ten years it was only meant to be temporary and ten years on im still doing it... but enough is enough..

How do i go about doing an open university course... and is it possible to do a vetinary degree at open university?

Who shall i contact?

Kind Regards

Claire
May 08, 2007 08:52PM
Hi, Claire,

I am afraid, from what you tell me, that your ambition to become a veterinary surgeon is unlikely to be fulfilled.

There is no Open University course available. There are seven universities in the UK with veterinary schools, and the competition for places at one of them is very high. A levels at A or A* in Chemistry, Physics and Biology at least are essential. The course is full time for a minimum of five years, and the tuition fees at the English schools are very high.
Have you thought about working towards becoming a Veterinary Nurse? The course is more accessible and can be part-time for much of it. You could get more information from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (www.rcvs.org.uk)
W
Mark
September 19, 2007 05:01PM
Hi,
i am currently in the final year of secondary school at wilden and am looking at going to college before attempting veterinary school.

and i would just like to know what subjects that i need to take?

thanks

Mark from Southampton
September 20, 2007 07:38AM
Hi, Mark,

If you read some of my earlier replies on this site to the same question, you will see that you need A levels at A or A* in Chemistry, Physics and Biology, at least.

W
kenza kabar
September 23, 2007 10:34PM
I realy want to be a vet but I dont know what to study about????!!!!!!!!
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved