VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Danielle B
Re: Requirements for the Veterinary Course
February 15, 2009 05:17PM
Hi, i am currently a student in year 12, i have completed my Gcse's and am currently taking A-levels in maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. I have wanted to be a vet as long as i can remember, however i am finding it very difficult to get work experience. I have spent 2 years looking for work experience and have only managed to get 2 weeks at a veterinary practice and 2 months at a rescue shelter. I know this is not enough for most universities, however i got told by a lecturer at cambridge that they don't look ofr any work experience. Is this true? and does anyone have any suggestions for me to get accepted onto a veterinary course?
February 22, 2009 08:36PM
Hi, i am currently a student in year 12, i have completed my Gcse's and am currently taking A-levels in maths, further maths, biology and chemistry. I have wanted to be a vet as long as i can remember, however i am finding it very difficult to get work experience. I have spent 2 years looking for work experience and have only managed to get 2 weeks at a veterinary practice and 2 months at a rescue shelter. I know this is not enough for most universities, however i got told by a lecturer at cambridge that they don't look ofr any work experience. Is this true? and does anyone have any suggestions for me to get accepted onto a veterinary course?
bree
February 27, 2009 08:57PM
Hi
Im about to enter my GCSE Options and was wondering if these would hopefully allow me to become a vet

- ENGLISH
- MATHS
- ALL SCIENCES
- GEOGRAPHY
- SPANISH
- FRENCH
- R.S
February 28, 2009 09:30AM
Hi,

Sounds good, as long as you get good grades and go on to A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Maths with good grades too.

W
Maisie B
July 11, 2009 01:30PM
Hi, Walter,
I have currently just finished my GCSE's and am awaiting my results. Ever since my work experience at a veterinary practice last year, i am driven to become a vet.
After reading all of the comments above i have now realised i need to have alot more work experience. Also i was wondering if you could please tell me what path i could take to become a vet if i unfortunatly do not get the grades required. ?

Thank you
Maisie. B
July 12, 2009 09:16AM
Hi, Maisie,

The ONLY way to become a veterinary surgeon in the UK is getting a degree in veterinary medicine at one of the universities with a veterinary school which entitles you to register with the Royal Collge of Veterinary Surgeons.
There is also a veterinary school in Grenada in the West Indies where you can do the pre-clinical years before finishing in the UK.

W
Claudia
Re: universitys
September 02, 2009 03:51PM
hi.

i am in year 9 and need to pick my options.
what do i need to become a vet?

ThankYou. x

p.s are there any vetary universitys in york?
Re: universitys
September 02, 2009 07:46PM
Hi, Caudia,

As well as a good clutch of O levels at good grades you will need Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Maths at Advanced level with A or A* grades.
There is not a veterinary school in York. Your nearest ones are Nottingham and Liverpool

W
D.
September 05, 2009 08:21PM
hi, for my GCSEs i got 6 As, (physics, chemistry, drama, art, geography, eng. lit) 4 A*s (maths, biology, RS, eng. language) and a B (modern hebrew)
are these grades good enough, because i have various teachers telling me they're not and i shouldn't bother applying.

thanks
September 06, 2009 08:31AM
Hi,
I think that with this range of subjects at 'O'level, and with these grades, you should have a very good chance of getting into a UK vet school if you do equally well in your A levels - you need Chemsitry, Biology and Physics or Maths at A* or A grades.

W
Katie B
Requirements for the Veterinary Course
April 15, 2010 02:21PM
Hi,

I'm Katie and at the moment I'm doing my GCSE's.

My aim is to get into a Veterinary university which has been my lifetime goal, for this I have been working at a veterinary practice for 5 months (twice a week) as work experience.

But I am really intrigued at other veterinary students/vets results at GCSE's as a guideline for me. Please could you let me know what you got for GCSE's.

Thankyou
Katie B
Requirements for the Veterinary Course
April 15, 2010 05:01PM
Hello,

I'm Katie B and at the moment I'm doing my GCSE's.

For work experience I have been attending at a small animal practice for over 5 months (twice a week) and in the near future I will be searching for other work experience but in other areas of the field such as lab work and farm work.

I am interested in what other vet students/veterinarians got for there GCSE's as a guideline I should follow.

Thanks
Lucy.Orc
April 20, 2010 07:36PM
Hi. i am currently in year 12.I have always had an enthusiastic interest for animals and their anatomy , which of course led me to become interested in Veterinary Medicine.If i do not get accepted i am thinking about doing genetics instead.
At GCSE i obtained 4 A* In english lit,geography,science and welsh , and 5 A's German,child development,R.E,science and IT.1 B in Art ; however i only achieved grade C in english language and Mathematics.
At A Level i have taken Biology,chemistry,Psychology and english literature- to make up for my Grade C in english language. In my AS exams i have achieved A's in all my exams.I am predicted A's in my summer exams too.
I hope to achieve 3A's at A level in Biology,chemistry and psychology.I have also done 3 weeks of relevent work experience for veterinary medicine.
Based on my predicted 3A's at A-level and my 9 A*/A but with my very poor grades in English language and Mathematics at GCSE grade C.Do you feel i have a chance in getting in to veterinary Medicine? ,with my maths and english lang at GCSE , even though i am very enthusiastic about this degree, Thankyou very much in advance.
April 21, 2010 07:38AM
I think thast you will need an A level in Physics or Maths too, but you should enquire of the Admissions Secretary of the various vet schools for definitive information.
April 21, 2010 04:00PM
thankyou, would the C's at GCSE maths and english language be a problem then ?
April 21, 2010 04:45PM
I do not think that a C in Maths A level would be good enough.
Thre pressure on enty into 1st yerar at UK vet schools is considerable, and onlty he very best perforimg candidates are given a chance.
May 08, 2010 08:44PM
I had put GCSE maths at a C not A-level ??? So i'll ask again but would GCSE Maths at a C grade be good enough whent he rest are A*'s and A's ?. thankyou for your time.
Natanya
April 12, 2011 01:17PM
Hi, i am a year 9 top set girl who is in super set for all sciences i have just achived a 90 percent in my bio exqam last week which was top in my year i would like to go to cambride,liverpool or bristol my (expected results ) GCSEs are

sepreate science 2 A* expected 1 A
duel english A/B
duel maths B/B
RS (compusary) A
buissiness A*
geography A
history A
PE A*
half corse ICT B

i am loomking to volenteer at my local vetsm would this impress an univerity bord ?
April 16, 2011 07:45PM
First look at article ' i want to be a vet'. Second despite your grades improve your spelling because there are so many spelling mistakes in your message that i really wonder if you are meticulous enough to consider a career as a vet. Getting good grades is not enough these days!
Victoria
May 04, 2011 06:35PM
Hi,
I'm Victoria,
I'm in my last year of High School and have completed my Maths course already. I got a C, and therefore I was no longer required to do Maths anymore, but I still have other exams to do. I got a B in my core science(Chem., Bio., and Physics), but I want to be a vet. I have no idea what other grades I'm supposed to get, and I'm assuming that I won't be able to become a vet with a C grade in Maths and a B in core science(obviously, I must find out what grade I got in the second level of Science). What should I do if I want to carry on pursuing this dream of mine but I haven't got the appropriate grades?
Anon.
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
May 12, 2011 07:34PM
Hi, my GCSE grades are 1A, 6Bs and 2Cs. I really want to be a vet but are these grades too low for me to even be considered?
kiki
May 13, 2011 05:08PM
hi i am only 12 but i have wanted to be a vet since i knew what it is so i thought that if i knew what qualifications i need then maybe i could try and do better at them now so that when i do my gcse's and A levels then i might be better and improve my chance of being a vet. also do you need any other qualifications to be a safari vet????
kiki
May 15, 2011 03:53PM
Heya,
I am12 years old and i have wanted to be a vet ever since i knew what a job was. I want to be a vet so desperatley that i thought that if i knew what subjects I had to choose then I would maybe have the right qualifications and i could start pracising them to maybe improve my chances.
So can someone please tell me what subjects I should take and what qualifications I need then that would be great.
THANKS smiling smiley
May 16, 2011 04:13PM
I would not have thought these grades were to low for you to write off a chance of going to vet school. What is really important is that you get the grades at A level (AAcool smiley
Jack McGuigan
May 23, 2011 05:36PM
Hi,

I am a second year and i am getting top marks in science. What else do I need to become a vet apart from A science, A maths and A english (I am getting them at the minute)
Jack.
Maddy
May 26, 2011 06:50PM
I am interested in becoming a vet I am getting As and A*s in most subjects but a B in maths. I have taken all three sciences, Ict, Textiles, health and social care as well as maths English and all other compulsory subjects at GCSE. I wandering what you would recommend for me to take as AS and A level. I would also like to know how long you have to be in university for and what courses to take. I would really appreciate the help.
lora grend
May 27, 2011 08:20AM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just thought i'd say that all the answers to
> your questions about option choices e.t.c are
> available on the previous posts, some are very
> detailed. You should check them out.
> i do't think this will help but it can help a bit
May 30, 2011 10:32AM
At last someone understands how this works. Lots of people keep asking what qualifications you need to be a vet and all the answers are above. If you really want to be a vet then you at least need to be bright enough to find out which universities offer the course and look at their websites for entrance requirements. If you cannot do this or are too lazy to do this then you are unlikely to be in a position to get a place.
JALISA
vet requirements
May 25, 2011 06:53PM
I have B Biology, A english A, B integrated science, C chemistry, C in maths, was not allowed to do physics and studyin for an associate degree in biology and environmental science. Can i be able to still become a vet
Tr
June 05, 2011 09:59PM
Hey, being a vet isn't about the money.
It's about the love for animals.

T
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved