VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Re: becoming a vet
September 22, 2008 03:42PM
Thank you for your reply,

would i still need to take biolgy,phyisics,chemistry and maths to become a vetenry nurse?

and what grades would i need to get to become a vetenry nurse

lauren.
September 23, 2008 08:35AM
Hi, Lauren,

To get more up-to-date advice than I can give you, write to the Head of Veterinary Nursing, the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, 64 Horseferry Road,
London, SW1P 2AF (being sure to spell 'Veterinary' correctly!) asking what the educational requirements are to enter upon a VN course.

W
Emylia
October 17, 2008 06:07PM
Hi.
My Friend Has Just taken Her options and she wants to be a vet.
Now, in the UK you can choose to do an option of 'Triple Science' where you do 1 extra exam and you come out with 3 science gcses instead of the ordinary two. the extra exam is an extra moudle (science is normally based in 6 modules, each with a different topic. with triple science, you take 7 modules instead - 7 in each so 7 in chemistry, 7 in biology, 7 in physics instead of 6 in each)
This does normally take up one of your option choices as it is optional.
you will need to check with your school if they offer the triple science option. It would be good for you to take it because it also prepares you for A Levels which you need to do to be a vet. It looks as if you are clever so you are able to take options that you enjoy and still get high marks.
Good Luck =)
Emylia
magan
January 14, 2009 07:17AM
what options do i take inyear nine to become a vet
January 14, 2009 08:16AM
Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
You will find more information in other posts on this site.

W
Brogan
January 15, 2009 07:48PM
im only in year 8 but i really badly want to be a vet. the problem is, I'm no good at all at science. is there anything i can do now to get me further into chances of becoming a vet? brogan..x
Becca
January 15, 2009 08:44PM
Hi, I also want to become a vet and have looked at all the courses you need to take. If you are in set two for science and want to become a vet I would still try and aim for that, as long as you get a B at GCSE in science you can do A-level. I am also in set two but have not given up, if you study hard you can get the grades you need.

Don't settle for second best as a vetinary nurse at least not until you have taken your GCSE's just wait and see what grades you get !!!
January 16, 2009 09:45AM
Hi, Becca,.

Learning how to spell 'veterinary' would be a good start!

W
Dannii
February 05, 2009 08:00PM
hey im 14 too and i know yhuu have to have all the science and maths but thats all i know but the thing i wanted to say is that yhuu don't have to be 16 to work in a vets because im going to be working in my local vets soon (:

xx
February 05, 2009 08:30PM
Hi,

You will find some veterinary practices will take on 14 year-olds, but not all will do so. Ask around, starting with the one which you normally attend with your animals.

W
Sarah x
May 17, 2009 06:32PM
Hello Brogan,
Im in the same situation as youu really except im in year 9, So i asked my mum and dad if they could get me a tutor so thats what they did and im doiin much better now than i ever have so i suggest you give 1 a try Love Sarah xx
Good Luck :]
Izzy
June 23, 2009 01:50PM
Hey...
i recently completed my gcses.. and to become a vet you usually need grade Bs in science and maths to qualify for the A level courses.
At A Level you need to achieve As and these have to be in chemistry, biology and either physics or maths.
Good luck with your future career!
x
Ellie-may
August 19, 2009 04:38PM
hi i am going into year 11 and i am only working at c to d level grades but i am set to working with animals and becoming a vet if i finish my gcse's at these grades c to d can i make up for it in college ans university would that help me to becoming a vet

Thankyou
Ellie.
August 20, 2009 08:06AM
Hi,

It is extremely unlikely that you will ever get into a veterinary school if these are the best grades you can achieve.

W
Jenna-Leigh
September 09, 2009 06:56PM
hey x my name is Jenna-Leigh.

I was born in south africa but grew up in england. And ever since i was 5 and i went to the vets with my parent and my cat Tiggy i wanted to be a vet. Now i am in year nine and i am going to chose my GCSE options but i dont know which ones HELP ME! x

Jenna
xxxxx
Tiff
January 12, 2010 06:37PM
Hi I'm tiff
I'm in year 8 and starting to chose my options...
I've wanted to be a vet for ages do you think i have a good chance if im in set 1 for science and maths.
Also in my school we cant take tripple scince as an options they chose only a few people to do it so you have to chose 3 other ones what would be best to chose i reed on a website i'd would have to take a language what else would i need to take??
Also what would you need to take in collage??
Please reply soon.
Tiff.
X.Emily.X
Re: becoming a vet nurse
January 14, 2010 08:15PM
Hi,
I am 13 yrs old and in year 9. I am not sure what i want to pick for my gcses at school to be a veterinary nurse and i don't know if i am bright enough. so can you tell me what levels i would need and what gcses to pick please. I have loved animals since i was little and they love me so i think i would be good with that part but not the brain part.

Emilyxxx
Re: becoming a vet nurse
January 15, 2010 08:36AM
Hi, Emily,

Go to www.rcvs.org.uk, and look up veterinary nursing.
Beth :)
January 26, 2010 06:41PM
Hello,
I am 13 , and in year 8. I Really want to be a vet when i am older an wanted to know whether the options i have picked to take will be useful. I am Quite intelligent and i am in Accelerated sets (Take Gcse's earlier) for everything apart from my arts and d.t's, i love animals and have had 4 dogs in my life, i have wanted to be a vet all my life and get on with animals well.These are the options i 'Think' I am taking>>>>

Media
History
Btec sport or photography
Diploma in Business and administration
Animal care course (Year 10)

(( For me triple Science is not an option but compulsory.))

Thanks For any replies ,,,

Beth x
Dolly_Dipz
February 24, 2010 06:13PM
Hey Everyone. Just beacause you may not get good GCSE's dont mean anything, im 16 and im in college studying Animal Care First Diploma. I was only in school for year 7 so i have no GCSE atall and im also disabled, i got a ilness (CFS/M.E) but it has not stopped me, since ii was a little girl ive wanted to be a vet nurse, im in my second year at college as i started when i was 15. You can do anything if you work for it and feel very strongly about it, all you need to do is go to college and get the right qualifications, to do what i want to do is going to take me 3 more years in college, but i did start at the bottom! so overall its 5 years.

I hope ive helped make you all feel more confident in doing what you want to do.
You can do anything you want!!

Chloe xx
amy <3
February 25, 2010 09:12PM
hi, i also want to be a vet. i am getting my option book soon but im not sure what diffrent lessons there are to be a vet. do i need to get a* to be a vet and how many? and what lessons do i need to take? i am also in set 2 for everything but i am getting level 6's is that good? i am 13, in year 9. thanks. x
February 26, 2010 09:09AM
Hi, Amy,

You will find all the information you need in earlier posts on this site.

W
sabrina12344
March 26, 2010 09:15PM
heyyy my name is sabrina i am also in the same situation i have wanted to be a vet since i can remeber and i am also in year nine and choosing my options now (: i an in set 1 out of 5 for maths and i not to shore about science smiling smiley so i do hope i become a vet and out live me long life dream smiling smiley xxx
Abbey
April 14, 2010 08:37AM
Hi, I'm Abbey and ive wanted to be a vet for ages. Im in top set in eveything and get quite high grades. Apart from biology, chemistry, physics and maths is there anything else I should take for my options and what would give me more chance of becoming a vet. thanks. x
kieran
June 17, 2010 10:55PM
hey there, if you want to become a vet do not be disheartened if you do not get straight A's. my dads friends daughter got 11+ A*'s for her GCSE's and 4 A's at A level and she did not get accepted to RVC. they also look at personality and potential. I'm just about to start my A levels im taking Biology, BTEC Chemistry, Physics and English. places now accept the btecs and rvc do as i emailed them to make sure, which is a bonus as it is coursework but no exam (this does not mean that its going to be easy though) for gcse's take triple science and geography as options as science link with geography and obviously you do maths anyway which links to physics, then do two others that you are interested in language can be useful if you want to go and study being a vet abroad(don't know if you can do it but you never know) try and do work experience in a vets i did and it was really fun lots to do help with operations (only passing tools they do not set you loose on the animals) giving medicine, and the simple things like stacking chairs in reception at the end of the day (sounds boring but you get a sense of achievement when the day is complete) now the most important part A levels definatly do biology and chemistry, then either physics or maths. do not choose them all as it will be far to much work and then do one you like that you can fall back on if your exams do not go as planned. hope everyone is succesful. good luck
Lauren Ann
March 29, 2011 08:22PM
Hello. I am 15 and want to become a vet more than anything! I work full time with a veriety of different animals, and was just wondering if there is anything els i could be doing to help me study to be a vet in the future?
Phebe
Re: becoming a veterinary nurse
April 24, 2011 12:46PM
Hi Im Phebe.
I am 13 years of age. im in year 9 and i have picked my options and for my work expierance i would like to work in a vets. I am hoping that i can study a lot now so when i do go for my work expierance they think im good and could help me and maybe let me stay there and do volenteer work.
I would like to become a veterinary nurse because i am in love with animals and would like to help and work with them. I dont think im very clever and not to sure if i will be able to get high grades but people tell me if i want something so bad i will get it so im trying very hard. Iv wanted to be a veterinary nurse since i was very little and was wondring if there is any thing i could study at this age about becoming a veterinary nurse? i want to know what information i need to study at this age and where i can get it. I worked at a stabble for 1 year and did dog walking and have 2 dogs a rabbit.
Please could you help me ?
Thanks. From Phebe.
April 26, 2011 06:04PM
I Want To Be A Vet

This is a guide for those people who are always asking what they need to do to get to be a vet.

It is not enough to just ‘love animals’. There is a lot of competition to get into veterinary schools and generally speaking the minimum grades at A-level are AAB in 3 of Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths (Sometimes other subjects are accepted but this is unusual).

At GCSE it is worth having a broad range of subjects with good grades that show that you have a good grasp of many things. It is also important that you have other hobbies so that you can show that you are a well rounded individual.

What is also very important is that you can show that you are dedicated to becoming a vet and understand what it is all about. This means having worked on farms, in riding stables and in animal shelters. If you have not done any of this then you will probably not get very far. Being a vet is much more than fixing sick animals and it is important that you understand about farming and the vet’s role in making sure that the animals we eat are healthy and well cared for. You only need to do a couple of weeks in your holidays in 3 or more places – don’t spend all your holidays doing this because the vet schools will think you are a bit desperate. You also need to spend some time at veterinary practices seeing what goes on there – if you find you do not like the sight of blood or don’t like the idea of clearing up the animal’s mess then this is probably not the job for you. Many practices like having students so are usually willing to let you spend time with them. Make sure you write them a sensible letter and don’t just say ‘I love animals and want to save them all’.

There are websites that are useful. First look at the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website (rcvs.org.uk) where you can find lots of useful information. After that look at the websites for the universities that teach vets. These are:

Bristol University
Cambridge University
Dublin University
Edinburgh University
Glasgow University
Liverpool University
Royal Veterinary College, London University
Nottingham University

The specific requirements for each university will be available on their websites and also allow you to look at the differences in the courses to help you choose where you would prefer to study.

Good Luck!
Dr.amit kumar
May 11, 2011 05:40AM
its amazing field...
megan
i want to be a vet
August 05, 2008 02:27PM
hi im megan

im 11 and im intrested in being a vet to save animals ive been intrested for a thow years and ive onley started looking stuff like this up cozz my dog just died so if ennyone nows of enny good books web sites and subjects i can tack in year 8 it would really help
ps. ennything really
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved