VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Kit Kat
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
June 06, 2011 04:31PM
Hi
I am only in my first year at secondary school ,
however I love animals and treating their bumps and bruises.
I can't find the grades I would need in my GCSE's so can someone list them for me.
Also could you tell me what A levels I would need and what grades.
Thanks.
me
June 06, 2011 04:32PM
hello,
i am looking to become a vet after years of wondering what i could do for a job, i have gone from wanting to work with horses to being an horse event rider to finally realising i would love to be a vet, as you can probubly tell i have allways been interested in animals and especially horses. i understand the hard working time consuming 5 years at university, however; like alot of other people i dont know the qualifications. (i dont find any other peoples answers clear) and i would like to know the minimum i could get for all of the subjects. thankyou ever so much for any help you have to offer.
dig'n-it
Re: Requirements for the Veterinary Course
June 07, 2011 04:11PM
The best subject for A-level if you want to be a vet are chosen out of these:
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths
Further Maths

Bear in mind that most uni's like students that do other extra-curricular activities like drama, music or sport.
Hope that helps. :-)
Megan
June 11, 2011 05:42PM
Hi,

I am in year 9 going on to 10 and I would really like to become a vet.
I am taking all 3 sciences, maths, english, history and spanish.
What levels do I need in them?
Also around how much do vet nurses get, you know if I don't get a place as a vet.

Thank you very much x
Kit Kat
June 11, 2011 06:32PM
Thanks alot
Kit Kat
Re: Requirements for the Veterinary Course
June 11, 2011 06:35PM
Now can any one list the GCSE's needed and the grades you have to get
Grace
June 22, 2011 03:05AM
hi I am in grad 6 and i have been wanting to be a vet all my life i to know how i can become a vet and would i have to go to collage and how much maths do you need to use! I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME
Keeley
Re: becoming a vet
June 24, 2011 08:49PM
Heyy xx
I'm a 13 year old girl and going into year 9 in september, and i have a promblem, a problem which can cause trouble with the career that i want to be. I am excitlant in maths, my teacher even wants me to go round helping everyone, I am expected to get a A at the minamon. But with science I am feeling like I am below everyone else I usually get 5c/6a on my science tests. Will this destory my dream of being a vet?
Also as you may of notice by this piece of text I can not spell to save my life, is this a bad thing?

Do you think i can have a chance of being a vet?xx

Many thanks

Keeley -x-
Becca15
July 05, 2011 01:33PM
I want to become a vet and was wondering what A level subjects i needed to take.
My GSCE's were:
Biology:A
Maths:A
Geograpy:B
English:A*
Physical science:B
Business studies:B
History:A

I dont think the final two subjects i did are needed though

Thanks
Rebecca Nelson
July 05, 2011 03:35PM
Hi
I was wondering what A level subjects i need to do to become a vet? I was thinking of doing Geography, Biology, Maths and English (Im not sure if i have to do chemistry or not)
My GSCE's were:
Biology:A
English:A*
Maths:A
Geography:B
Histroy:A
Physical Science:B
Business studies:B

thanks!
Jordan
July 05, 2011 09:42PM
Hi,

I'm Jordan and I'm almost 13. I am home schooled and I live on a hobby farm, I really want to be a vet tech. I have taken care of baby rabbits (even practically new-borns which died.), chipmunks (2), chickens, a baby killdeer, goats, ect. And, from my research this is useful stuff because experience is really just as important as your grades. I can handle that. But I'm having a lot of trouble finding information about what to do as far as my schooling goes. Any helpful info that can help me start out?
July 06, 2011 08:55AM
The answers to all your questions about grades are in the posts above. For those who want to be a vet you need to have a bit of common sense or you will not get into a course. Try finding out which universities offer veterinary courses then look at the entrance requirements. It is all on Google as well as being listed in the posts above numerous times.
confused
July 07, 2011 08:39AM
I'm currently in year 10, my last year is next year, but I'm staying onto 6th form.
I need to know whether its possible to become a vet even if I do bad in my IAA, as I'm not to good at them. I do triple science, so far i have a C in Chemistry, a C in Physics and a B in Biology.
Help me!
Emma
July 13, 2011 08:09PM
Generally you will need for GCSE high B to A* grades in Maths English and Sciences as well as a varied range of GCSEs. For A levels you would need Biology and one or two of Physics, Maths or Chemistry. To be able to study for a Veterinary degree you would need two As and a B or in some cases three As. Hope this is helpful.

PS. It is also VERY useful to have a few years experience working with animals.
danni 123
July 13, 2011 10:21PM
hello
can i become a vet because i haven't got any grades at all but im doing entry level in animal care i have passed so im doing animal care level 1 and then hopefully become a veternairy nurse and then hopefully to become a vet
please help me
thank you
your sincerly danielle thompson xx
July 14, 2011 10:10PM
You can move from veterinary nursing to being a vet and I had several people who were veterinary nurses on my course many years ago. You would need to be doing really well as a veterinary nurse to have a chance of getting a university place and would possibly have to do either A levels or a pre-entry course first. Those people who were veterinary nurses on my course were all very clever and worked extremely hard. Being a veterinary nurse of itself is not a substitute for the A level entry requirements.
dream
July 21, 2011 06:06AM
hello
i am 13 and in grade 8 going into grade 9 (summer)
i am just wondering what subjects i should "excel" in and try my hardest and what classes do not matter as much.
my goal is set on becoming a vet and it has always been my dream to save and help animals and it would be such a rewarding job.
please tell me any information i should know, what steps you guys went through, and any steps i want to get started with my goal right away and its a great time to starts wokring on it since its summer
cairnton
July 24, 2011 06:52PM
Hi - I'm 41 and want to pursue my dream of becoming a vet. I've a degree in ecology (BSc. HONS, 2ii) and 20 years work experience in social work. I'm about to sell my flat so could be self-funding. Could you advise me as to whether or not this dream is realistic - and what steps I should take? Many thanks!
aim
July 31, 2011 05:05PM
Hi,
I really want to become a vet. I'm going to be in year 10 soon and these are the GCSEs I am doing now
- english
-food tech
-french
-SCIENCE
-chemistry
- biology
- physics
-maths
- re
-pshce
what gcses do I need and what grade?
thank-you
help
August 08, 2011 09:38PM
hi,

hello my name is rory and i am going into 2nd year and i am really intrested in becoming a vet obviously from the fact tet i love animals and good pay. but i have already picked my subjects which are Modern Studies, Chemistry, Biology,Drama and music is this ok and what grades would i need to get in these subject?

thanks, rory
ilikedogs
August 12, 2011 05:18PM
Hello,
Im currently in second year at uni doing Biology and I have alevels in Chemistry (A) Biology (A*) and Physchology (A) and an AS in Maths (cool smiley. I also have 11 GCSEs (A*-cool smiley.
I've always wanted to be a vet and I'm seriously considering doing it postgrad.
I plan to take a year out to go to Hong Kong after my Biology degree to work on my Chinese and too get some work experience.
Doesn anyone have any advice on how I should apply to do postgrad and if it is necessary to do the full 5 years of vetinary medicine or whether it would be possible to do a 4 year course seeing as I will have a degree in Biology.
Where is a good place to do postgrad Vetinary Medicine.

Any information at all will be welcomed, Thankyou very much in advance.
Natasha x
August 15, 2011 04:28PM
Hi
I am just going up to the Academy and I really want to become a vet. But if you don't get all your grades can you try again or is that it.

Thanks Hope you can help
samuel
training to become a vet
August 21, 2011 05:58PM
hello. megan i suggest you buy a cheap veterinary anatomy book from of the internet you can pick these up on most web sites they may have some hard to understand words in there so you may need help i also suggest you think hard about becomeing a vet because it isnt a easy job it takes alot of time and studying to become one.

i have also noticed you have made a few spelling mistakes that will be something you will need to work on in the years to come

good luck
madison
August 22, 2011 10:41AM
hey im in yr 7 but im ANIMAL CRAZY and i want to no what gcses i need to become an equine vet

thankyoux
nicholas richards
August 23, 2011 09:25AM
i realy want to become a vet what subjects do i need in school now and what university is best
Susannah
August 25, 2011 11:49AM
Hello,

I am aiming to do a veterinary medicine course at University but need some advice on A-level options. I received my GCSE results today in which I achieved 10 A*s and 2As. The As were in Maths and Spanish. I have chosen to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and English Literature for AS level and will then drop either English or Maths for A2 level. However, I am much better at English than Maths and am sure I would obtain a higher grade if I continued with English, my problem is that I have heard Maths is looked upon more favorably than English by some Universities, is this true? Ideally I would like not to have to do Maths at all although I understand that it may be beneficial not only in the application process but also with A-level physics. Please advise whether you think that it is worth me doing Maths at all or just to AS if I would achieve a better grade in English.

Thank you
Susannah
Fii
August 31, 2011 02:41PM
I'm going to college in September and studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Math. In order to become a vet you need GCSE results from A*-C. Your grades just aren't good enough. Universities are extremely competitive so they will only select the best people judging from their grades. Also, because a Vet is such a competitive profession you will most certainly find people will have better grades than you. The official grade requirement for a Vet is at least two A's and on B. You need to have these three grades out of these subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math.
georgia
September 05, 2011 08:57PM
hi ! i am in year 9 at the moment but i want to become a vet when im older but im not very clever so is there any point in me going for it or shall i go for something else?? thanks z
Bethany0101
September 06, 2011 05:43PM
Hi,

I'm currently in year 10 starting my GCSE's, i'm taking Science,maths,english,ict,R.E,PSHE as they are all compulsary along with additional science,performing arts and food tech. i'm aimed to get C and above in all of them, but A's in science. is this enough to get into college and go along to become a vet?

Thanks.
me
September 11, 2011 05:53PM
Is a vet school and university two different things
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved