TRIPPLE SCIENCES
MATHS
ENGLISH
BUT WHAT ELSE OR DOES IT NOT MATTER
Morgan.
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
September 12, 2011 06:58PM
Hi,

I have always wanted to become a Vet, and i was wondering if this would be enough,
I've just started doing my GCSE's, i'm in year 10 and i have chosen to study;
PE GCSE & French GCSE this year,
we do a course that lasts one year, and in my last year i would like to take;
Geography GCSE & Double Science GCSE.
Everybody is telling me that i should drop PE and study Triple science which is a 2 year course. However, If i get good grades in all of my GCSE's will i still be able to study my A levels and if i again get good enough grades, would i be able to study at a veterinary university?
Many Thanks.
Lauren P
September 13, 2011 05:03PM
Hello
I was looking at veterinary corses and im confussed as to which one is best if I want to become a vet?
so far i've found,
Veterinary medicine,
Veterinary nursing,
Veterinary science,
Bio-veterinary science,
Veterinary nursing science
please help! :/
Verity
September 16, 2011 02:25AM
You will use maths an awful lot if you do become a vet
Verity
September 16, 2011 02:29AM
My Mum is a vet and she always says dont let your only reason to become a vet be because you love animals because it is a lot of hard work too. so make sure your sure!!
ashleigh
September 26, 2011 12:59PM
i think u should try ur better and try and get levels a,b and c xxxxxxxxxxx
qwerty
September 27, 2011 04:00PM
It`s fun to be a vet what you need to do is learn in a good education . Then you will have to be normal around animals you could find a local farmers house to go and work on so you will be normal around the animals . That`s all i have to say good luck in doing what your doing.
Jasmine
September 30, 2011 09:00PM
ive just chosen my opitions and have started my GCSEs and ive chosen art, ict, french, history, geography, and all the core including triple science but i am just wanting to know what AS, A Levels and degree i will need to become a vet?
I have experience in working in a vetenery surgey having sat in on operations, seen serval heart sonograms, seen vacinations been adminastered, devolvoped x-rayes, and even given my kitten his heart, kidney and other pills which stopped his lungs filling up with fluid, should i include this on my CV as i am trying to get a volenatry based job working with animals?
Lucy Ormrod
October 01, 2011 10:20PM
I am planning on becoming a vet, i am in the first year of GCSE's i am doing three sciences, maths, english, history, geography, latin, french and art. but i am really stuggling with french would it be better to carry on and get a bad mark or give it up completly. i dont want to take only ten GCSE's as i am pretty clever and i find most subjects easy especially science and maths. do you think taking eleven would give me an advantage than just taking ten. Is latin a better subject to take than french.

thank you
lucy
-
October 03, 2011 05:26PM
Hi I am currentl in year 11 but have looked into this at length and yes it is a very hard slog... harder than say a doctor, but worth it. You need the best grades you can get at GCSE... but A's including seprate sciences, maths and english but they are not too concernd about GCSE's its more Alevels. You need AAB as a minumum but really your talking AAA to stand a real chance. But the most inportant thing by far is WORK EXPERANCE and lots of it... start now and build it up. It dosent have to be at a vetanry practice as long as its relevent and useful eg. lambing, kennels, kattery, abertwa (if your old enough) ect.

Hope that it helps

PS. sorry about the spelling in advance... im disletzic
Amy
October 04, 2011 08:25AM
As long as you have good grades at GCSE, especially in sciences, maths and english, then you're on the right track. Remember it's quality rather than quantity so it's better to get excellent grades in 10 than just good grades in 14.

A Level: YOU MUST HAVE CHEMISTRY. This is not optional! Biology is also required and then Maths or Physics are best. I did my AS in History which the unis like as it showed I could write well. You will need at least 2As and a B. If you don't acheive those grades you will have to take a different degree and study veterinary medicine as a post grad.

Bear in mind, I got A* in Chemistry, A in Biology and A in Physics (and had 9A*s and 1 A at GCSE) and am still on a gap year to do more work experience. I've worked in a veterinary practice for 3 years, spent 3 weeks lambing, a week on a dairy farm, I used to own a horse and have bred and shown dogs for several years. This is on top of going to abbatoirs and research labs.

You can get a million As at A Level but if you haven't put in some serious work experience to prove how dedicated you are your application will be ignored. To everyone on here who is just starting GCSEs, you've got plenty of time so spend summer holidays at Kennels, Catteries, Stables, Dairy Farms, Pig Farms, Sheep Farms, its all relevant.You can never have enough work experience so get going. Good Luck!
Adam
October 04, 2011 05:34PM
I have done 10 gcse's and got 7 A* and 3 A what are the chances of me becoming a vet ????
lottie
October 07, 2011 05:38PM
Hi
I am going to have to start my options soon and i would really like to become a vet. however i have no idea what subjects i will need to do and what grades i will have to get. maths is compulsary but i dont know what grade i need to get.
Jess S.
October 09, 2011 04:30PM
Hi, I've always wanted to be a vet but when I got my GCSEs I kind of gave up the idea, I only got: A* (geog.) 6 As (including English lang., maths and chem.) and 6 Bs (including biology and physics). I know that really I need A*s and As... Apparently veterinary is more competitive than medical so I decided to look at that instead but I really would rather be a vet.
I've taken maths, biology, chemistry and psychology at A-Level (planning to drop psychology as AS) which will work for medical or vet, I only just started so I can't say my predicted grades or anything.
I was wondering if I could re-take GCSEs or if they would count if I did... It would be pretty pointless if not. I think Bs in science is pretty bad and I don't know what to do. My school was in 'special measures' with OFSTED I think I could do better, I don't know if I should just concentrate on A-Levels, re-do some GCSEs, such as biology & physics, or just give up on the whole vet idea. I know it's not just grades that count... But they're a big part. *sigh*
Btw, can you get work exp. in a vets at 16? (UK) I thought you had to be like 18 for insurance purposes.
Thanks for any help confused smiley
Jess.
Emily Jane Smith
October 09, 2011 05:46PM
Hello, my name is Emily and I'm curious to whether its entirely necessary to do triple science? As I am in year eleven and have been studying dual. If it is necessary can I balance it out by being able to work well with animals, as I have had an extensive array of pets?
Regards, Emily.
October 10, 2011 05:36AM
What is important are your A level grades. If you get the required A level grades then the GCSE grades are not so important but they may act as a guide to the Universities as to what you might be expected to get at A level. Any offer you get from a university is dependent only on your A level grades but whether you get an offer or not in the first place may depend on your GCSE grades. I would not retake your GCSEs but concentrate on getting good A level grades.
fu
October 10, 2011 01:15PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I'm after any advice on the best steps to becoming
> a vet.
>
> GCSE Results
> B - Biology
> C - Chemistry
> C - Physics
> B - Mathematics
> B - English Language
> C - English Literature
> C - Geography
>
> I've applied to do an A level in Biology which is
> good enough (providing I pass) to apply to do a
> foundation degree (3 years) in veterinary
> nursing.
>
> If I did all that, and hopefully with good results
> would it be enough to apply for a veterinary
> degree?
>
> Thanks in advance!
sarah lewis
October 11, 2011 09:03AM
hello
i am in grade 9 and my subject chocie for grade 10 is needed really SOON and my passion is animals,so i would love to become a vet but every one i have asked gave me a different
answer about what subjects i need to take. i know i need maths,biology but do i have to take physics?
thank you so much for your time
kirsty27777
October 18, 2011 05:33PM
Hello,
I'm choosing my GCSE later this year, and i'm really not shure what i will need to help me get into a vet university at the moment i have chosen:
English( not shure between english litrature or english language or both)
Geography
Religious Education
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Physics
Spanish
Art
and what marks would be passable for each subject was thinking a*-b mark but maybe a c for one?
my backup career is a school teacher so would these subjuects be ok for that aswell?
Thankyou.
animallovett
October 19, 2011 05:02PM
hi
i despratly want to become a vet but well i'm in bottom group for maths and everyone is telling me that i have no chance my friend is also in the same persition what shall we do, and what qualifactions do you need. please repliy as soon as possible.
Beth HUGGETT
October 20, 2011 03:31PM
Hi my name is Beth I am currently in year eight and my ambition for the future is to become a vet, I have applied to help out at the local vets. Is there any tips you could give to me? Xxxx sad smiley)
Shannon
October 20, 2011 06:08PM
Hi =D im currently studying for my GCSE's, im doing homeconomics,french,maths,biology,physics,chemistry,geography,re and english. I was wondering what subjects i should be keeping on next year (for a-level) on order to become a vet? i know i definately need chemistry and biology but im not sure what else and im really bad at maths and physics and not too good at chemistry either.......... but i really want to be a vet so please help me
Emma
October 20, 2011 07:34PM
Hi i took my GCSEs last year and there are no real subjects you can choose at that stage that can help you, except for tripple science maybe. Most universities ask for 5 or 6 A grades at GCSE including an A in science. B grades in english and maths or higher ( i only got 4 A's but hoping my A* in science will make up for that). They also ask for AAB or AAA at A level with an as level at A or B. The subjects i have chosen are biology chemistry physics and geography as most unis like biology chemistry and a maths subject at a level. Finally you must have work experience, and a lot of it. Put it this way if your a straight A student you are less likely to get onto the course if you have no work experience than one with somes B's. So get up to around 10 weeks experience with a range of animal types e.g. farms, small animal practices, horses. Hope this helps
hey
October 22, 2011 05:18PM
hi i would like to become a vet what subjects will i need to take for GCSE? smiling smiley
Lil fizz
Re: Qualifications needed to become a veterinary nurse
October 25, 2011 03:43PM
hii.

im doing an assignment for college and its about career choices and like most people. i would like to become a veterinary nurse.
i need to know what i would need to become a veterinary nurse.. eg qualifications, if i would need to have any experiance and what would make me stand out from the rest. i also need to know how long the duration of the whole course would be. im in college now but most google sites say you need 5 GCSE's at grade C or above and then progress on to doing something with the Veterinary Nursing Association?

but im in college?

if we only have to go to this Veterinary Nursing Association then how come most of us have been told we have to go to college?

im soo confused. and angry at the poor internet service, please someone help me -

Thanks, Lil Fizzy xoxo
vet school
October 27, 2011 11:34AM
Hey Jools, You can do a Foundation Degree P/T in Animal Management and Behaviour, You would get in as a mature student with your previous degree, I have just started the course, I am 37 and changing career, I am a qualified counsellor but wanted to follow my dream of being a vet before its to late lol...kids have grown up so now is the time...this is a three yr course P/T then you can do another year for a degree in animal science. Hope this helps Jamie
Cerys
October 30, 2011 07:54PM
Hi,
I am currently 13 years old, I was wondering if I could be a Vet. The thing is I am not the brightest in Maths but I am brilliant at Science and English for example I know all my bones and I can write a story in 5 minutes and get it all right. Please help me

Thank You

Cerys
Mae
October 31, 2011 10:57AM
Hiya!!!

I am having to do this stuff for homework about what jobs i want when im older tongue sticking out smiley and i chose vet.
i have to write the qualifiications (is tht how u spell it???) and the GCSE grades and stuff
HELP???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv ya
mabel matthews
what sort of grades do i need to be a vet
November 24, 2011 06:58PM
hi im only 12 but i really want to work in the veterinary field when im older and im scared im not getting the right grades. what sort of grades do you need to get into the veterinary field. at the moment im getting As,Bs and a few Cs will i need to buckle down and up my grades or am i fine as i am?
ashley
November 25, 2011 05:18PM
hi, just wanted to know is chemistry needed to become a vet , in my IGCSE's ?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved