VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Rebecca 
Martha
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet
March 10, 2009 03:41PM
Hello. My names marth and im 13 years old. Ive always wanted to become a vet but I dont know what qualifications i need . Help please!
March 10, 2009 04:28PM
Hi, Martha,

You need school qualifications to get you into University to study veterinary science for 5 years, then you get a degree in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, and then you are a vet!

If you read earlier posts on this site you will find details of the subjects you need to tak at school.

W
David Singleton
March 15, 2009 03:37PM
Heya Martha,

Do you live in the UK or elsewhere?

In the UK (England & Wales that is) most go through the GCSE & A level system, though there are other options such as the IB and the Scottish Highers (in Scotland obviously).

At GCSE you should be taking at least 10 subjects, though more (as long as you can cope with the increased workload) is definitely an advantage. These should include all sciences, maths, english and (for some bizarre reason) a foreign language. In terms of grades it is a case of the more A*'s the better! Few do well at A level who don't get A*s in the relevant subjects, though there are exceptions naturally.

At A level you are required to take Biology and/or chemistry. Some vet schools require one and prefer the other whilst other are the other way around. To be honest, your best bet is to take both. Most then ask for a science or maths subject for your third choice. In my opinion maths would probably be your best bet as it helps with the trickier aspects of chemistry. However, you could just take all of them! Certainly, at least 4 AS levels and 3 A2's but in these days of mental competition 4 full A levels is increasingly becoming the norm.

Dave
Jessie
May 06, 2009 02:32PM
Yeah, I need to know this too. I cant find a better string, can someone paste the link to one please?
Thanks
Jessie
X
shannon s
May 12, 2009 01:00PM
Hi
im Shannon how are you? i want to be a vet to iam trying to get into a vet school mabye and you should get some information of some vet schools.
Lisa18
May 19, 2009 09:46PM
hi
i studying animal science at university (finishing year 1) howvever i didnt do chemistry at alevel. would i be able to study veterinary medicine after 3 years of animal science?
Dru
June 02, 2009 03:14PM
Hello, everyone!

Im Dru and i am doing a school project on veterinarians! I need to know thw qualifications to become a veterinary SURGEON! and i'd lke them to be ultra correct, coz its for school

I have a week to do it so please hurry!

From,
Dru Baxter
June 05, 2009 12:58PM
Hi, Dru,

I am not goping to do your homework for you!

If you look elswhere on this site you will find all the information you need, and much more.

W
Katie hill
September 06, 2009 05:35PM
If i studied combined science at level 3 would i be able to go to university and study to be a vet?

Kate.
September 06, 2009 07:04PM
Hi,

I very much doubt it, but to be certain contact the university veterinary school you have in mind.

W
jenelle
September 28, 2009 09:32PM
i'm jenelle i have an assignment in which i have to pretend i'm a et and i need to know what qualifications i need.please help!
September 29, 2009 11:22AM
Sorry, but I do not understand the question.
Heidi
November 02, 2009 11:50AM
hiya there, is animal science a really hard subject, also what sort of things do you study
thanks
Sophie
December 31, 2009 11:00AM
Hey there,

I have Work Experience interview coming up soon, to work at my local veterinary surgery.
I have been reasearching the qualifications that I will need, the right course to becoming a vet, and I am pretty much clued up. But as this is an interview, there are obviously going to be questions, and i wonder at all would you have any idea what those questions would be, bar the obvious.

Thanks, I'm appreciative of any help as I am desperate to get the work experience in pretty much the only decent practice where I live.

Thanks again,
Sophie
sam carlow
January 02, 2010 06:12PM
hey my names sam

im 16 and at the moment taking business studies, ICT, Design technology, history, maths, english and science.

i am seriously considering to become a vet and wondered what i might need to take in sixth form to become one.

can any one help me please ?
Mrs S Gowler
January 13, 2010 10:59PM
Hi
My 14yr old son has to choose his options ready for year 10. He is interested in becoming a vet. He has been told his expected target are A* and A's but which GSCE should he consider taking. He wants to take 3 sciences PE and German and obviously his core subjects(English,Maths etc) but can you recommend any others. He is also considering do a Higher Diploma in Society, Health and Development. This is run over two days a week then three days in school doing the other subjects. If he passes it is the equivalent of 7 GCSE AT GRADE A-C. I'm not sure if it is worth him doing it(and how he will cope) or just concentrate on the initial GCSE'S Please help.

A concerned Mother
January 14, 2010 09:53AM
Dear Mrs Gowler,

There may well be others who are closer to the issue than I who can make relevant comment, but as far as I know as wide a range of subjects at 'O' level is advisable, followed by Chemistry, Biology and Physics ( or Maths) at least, at A level, aiming for A or A* passes ,
Equally important at vet school application stage is being able to show evidence of activ participation in animal-related activities - experience of work with fam animals, at a stables, in kennels and so on.
amy
January 25, 2010 10:45AM
hi i am having to pick my options for my GCSE's and i want to know if theres anything i have to take to become a vet. i am thinking of studying a diploma but would this help me become a vet?
January 25, 2010 10:53AM
Diploma in what??
Joe D
February 24, 2010 09:56AM
Hi.

I have wanted to be a vet for years.

What kinds of work experience should I be doing?

Thanks.

Joe D
Laura Marie
February 24, 2010 12:13PM
Hello. My name is Laura And i am 14 years old i've always wanted to be a et but i do know what Qualifications i need can anyone help me.
February 24, 2010 02:18PM
You will find all the information you require in earlier psost if you will take the trouble to look at them
Julianna
March 29, 2011 11:32PM
I am 13 and i also want to be a vet and be an all around big and small animals vet so does that make a difference?
lynn browning
March 31, 2011 05:09PM
help i am a 29yr old who would love to become a vet,but since i have no highers or really gd standard grades!! Is there any other way(s) that i could go about becoming a vet??
Thanxs
Gillian.L
April 23, 2011 09:55AM
Hi.

I am S2 and live in Scotland. I really want to go to university and study to become a vet. I have just chosen my subjects for standard grade but I am not sure what to take for higher. If possible I would like some feedback on the subjects I have already picked, but that is not so important. What I would really like is some help on what grades I should aim for and what I should do for higher. If anyone knows, please remember that I will be marked using the Scottish education system, not the English. Can anyone help me?

G.L
Sara-Jade
April 25, 2011 04:30PM
Hi my names Sara-Jade i am 10, i have always wanted to be a wildlife rescuer but evrebodyelse says the are the same as vets qualifications as becoming a vet please help!!!!
April 26, 2011 06:03PM
I Want To Be A Vet

This is a guide for those people who are always asking what they need to do to get to be a vet.

It is not enough to just ‘love animals’. There is a lot of competition to get into veterinary schools and generally speaking the minimum grades at A-level are AAB in 3 of Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Maths (Sometimes other subjects are accepted but this is unusual).

At GCSE it is worth having a broad range of subjects with good grades that show that you have a good grasp of many things. It is also important that you have other hobbies so that you can show that you are a well rounded individual.

What is also very important is that you can show that you are dedicated to becoming a vet and understand what it is all about. This means having worked on farms, in riding stables and in animal shelters. If you have not done any of this then you will probably not get very far. Being a vet is much more than fixing sick animals and it is important that you understand about farming and the vet’s role in making sure that the animals we eat are healthy and well cared for. You only need to do a couple of weeks in your holidays in 3 or more places – don’t spend all your holidays doing this because the vet schools will think you are a bit desperate. You also need to spend some time at veterinary practices seeing what goes on there – if you find you do not like the sight of blood or don’t like the idea of clearing up the animal’s mess then this is probably not the job for you. Many practices like having students so are usually willing to let you spend time with them. Make sure you write them a sensible letter and don’t just say ‘I love animals and want to save them all’.

There are websites that are useful. First look at the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons website (rcvs.org.uk) where you can find lots of useful information. After that look at the websites for the universities that teach vets. These are:

Bristol University
Cambridge University
Dublin University
Edinburgh University
Glasgow University
Liverpool University
Royal Veterinary College, London University
Nottingham University

The specific requirements for each university will be available on their websites and also allow you to look at the differences in the courses to help you choose where you would prefer to study.

Good Luck!
Em scott
May 06, 2011 06:38PM
hi! i am a vet in england but i used to do wildlife rescue... you definately need to take chemistry and biology and some sort of maths!!!!!
becoming a vet
September 21, 2008 03:36PM
Hello,
I'm lauren i am 14 years old.
i am in year 9 at school.
i want to become a vet but i dont think i am clever enough. i'm in 2/8 sets in maths, 1/4 in french and 2/4 in all sciences.
i was wondering what i need to take for my options (im chosing them this year).
can you help me?

i hvae 2 horses a dog and a rabbit, and i keep my horses on a farm that has cowes on it aswell, i interact with animals everday so i'm good with animals.

is it true that you hacve to be 16 to work in a vets? so i couldn't do work experience in a vets?

thank you.

lauren.
Re: becoming a vet
September 21, 2008 04:18PM
Hi,Lauren,
The veterinary course in UK universities is one of those in highest demand, and consequently one of the most difficult to get into.
You need a science based grup of highers - Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Maths. all at A* or A grades.
If you cannot achieve these, you could think about becoming a Veterinary Nurse, where rather lower grades are required.
You would not get much benefit from working with a vet before you are 16.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved