VetClick Discussion Forum

Frontline allergy

Posted by Laura 
Re: Frontline allergy
June 19, 2010 12:47PM
Reports of suspecte adverse respones to Frontline continue to pile in, but Mrieal seem to refuse to recognise that there may be a prolem.
If you live in the UK, INSIST that yuor vet completes an 'Adverse Reaction Report' and sends it ti the Veterinary Medicines Directotare.
Maree
April 27, 2011 02:44AM
Hi there, glad to read your note, my 13 year old dog had 3 treatments as l was going to tick areas, 1st treatment vomited abit but did not connect, 2nd treatment vomited white foam 3 days after treatment for a week, was getting suspicious, 3rd treatment 3 days after had two seizures and thought she was dieing. Will never use again.

Maree
April 30, 2011 06:40PM
I have to say generally speaking Frontline is very safe (and a damn sight safer than what was on offer before it was on the market) so I would caution people about getting too melodramatic about it - some of the older flea treatments killed lots of animals over the years! What I really wanted to say is that in my opinion Frontline is not much use against ticks. The most effective treatment against ticks is a Scalibor collar (you cannot use it on cats) and if you are going abroad that is what you need.
L&L
June 04, 2011 10:05PM
We adopted an Austrailian Kelpie recently. She was given Revolution 3 weeks prior to the adoption. I noticed she had a doggy smell to her while we were at the kennel to pick her up, so a bath was in order. When we got her home she scratched & chewed & I thought it was from an unknown skin irritation & kept an eye on it; it got better by the end of 4 weeks. We then applied Frontline from our vets office this past Monday. There were no unusual symptoms until we came back from being away for 2 days (6 days after application) & she had hair loss & sore spot on her legs from what looked like chewing that she started up again. I did notice that a day or so after giving her the FL she was staring like she was seeing something that wasn't there. She also chews her feet like others have said. Has anyone else experienced the doggy smell to their dog? Thankfully she hasn't had a seizure!!!
By the time I saw this site it was too late in the day (Saturday) to call the vets office so we'll call the vet 1st thing Monday to treat her symptoms. Meantime we'll give her fish oil which someone else said helped. I'd like to know if it also kills good bacteria; which is a bad thing! We'll NEVER USE 'FL' AGAIN!!!!
June 05, 2011 06:06AM
I doubt very much that this is a frontline allergy. Your dog was scratching and chewing before you used it and did so some time after you used the frontline. This sounds more like a generalised allergy to either pollen, housedust mites or food, for example. Alternatively it could be mange (scabies) but the fact that there was a period of remission between the episodes makes this seem less likely. If this becomes a recurrent problem your vet can do some tests to investigate this or send you to a dermatologist. The 'doggy' smell may just be because he is a dog but I suspect you mean the smell is very striking - this suggests bacterial or yeast infection. You need antibiotics for the first and a chlorhexidine or selenium sulphide shampoo for the second.
daniwadd
June 05, 2011 10:55PM
hi could someone give mr some advice PLS? i applied frontline today to my 6yr old beagle and one of her eyes has swollen up and closed and the other is v red. any advice
June 09, 2011 10:45AM
I am unsure whether you used the 'spot-on' or the spray. If it was the latter then the dog may have got some of it in its eye. The alcohol in the formulation could have caused damage to the eye if the latter was the case. You should seek veterinary treatment promptly in this case.
ChrisHill
August 18, 2011 10:52AM
Fipronil is not a very nice chemical. Here is a FACT sheet = [npic.orst.edu]

We [on the recommendation/insistence of our vet] had been using Frontline Combi for a year or so - on our very short coated Whippet X - without any apparent problems.

However, over the past few months I have been suffering from Urticaria [hives/nettle rash/very annoying itching] which has got progressively worse each time and seemingly on a 2-3 week rotation.

The Whippet has experienced constant hair loss - which we had put down to the hot spring in the UK but now the weather has been normal [cold] for a while - it is not the weather. The once placid 4 year old whippet has also recently developed a really nasty streak whereby we cannot now let her near any other dog for fear of her attacking it. Random shivering has also been seen.

I had a nastier bout of hives a couple of days before our holiday - which cleared up in the two weeks of the heat of Rhodes [and several dips a day in the pool] - on return it flared up again but worse than ever before and all over my face too. The dog had been treated with FLC a few days before we got back off holiday.

Fipronil was only discovered [made] in 1985 - how can anyone yet know the true extent of what damage it can do to humans or animals? Asbestos was great once upon a time and so was tobacco, allegedly.

Based my own personal experience I would not recommend the use of FL on short haired dogs or cats. I had never had an allergy in nearly forty years until I came into contact with this particular insecticide.
Jocelyn
August 22, 2011 01:16PM
My beautiful Burmese cat died because of Frontline. I applied it to the back of his head just above the shoulders. He started to lose his fur. I took him to the vet who said that Frontline would not do that. I took him to another vet. Still his condition worsened and the hair loss spread all over the top of his head and shoulders. He was given antibiotics and creams and after about a fortnight he stopped eating. He was so listless and ill. The vet put him on an intravenous drip. He gradually responded after about three days. I sat with him for an hour while he was still on the drip and he looked great. He could not stop purring as he lay on my lap. Next morning the drip was removed and the vet put more Frontline on him because she said it was time for a repeat dose. He went downhill very rapidly after that and I was forced to have him put to sleep because I simply could not afford to keep this expensive treatment going any longer. It took me a full month before I could mention his name, Riley, or talk about what had happened. I loved that cat so much and he was only three years old. How could this have happened? Both vets said - "Frontline was not the cause." I am not so sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 06:30PM by MarkRicher.
willieharrison
August 29, 2011 02:10PM
The 2nd time using Sargaent's generic of Frontline [ fipronel ] she began to limp...it seemed to be her front leg. After several more hours it seemed to be both front legs.By the following afternoon it was also her hind legs. I called the manufacturer and of course was told this is not associated with their product. After reading these posts I'm really worried. She's a 15 year old gal, not used to any type of flea products, so maybe her system's too sensitive?
Tj
August 31, 2011 02:49PM
I am doing research on topical flea and tick applications for pets. The FDA have had over 4000 documented complaints for frontline plus alone.There are over 400 deaths of pets after application of frontline plus documented reports to the FDA .The best way to approach using products on your pets Is to pretend you are using them on a new born child and do your research before using these products.We are our pet's number one advocate and protector.Not Vets or drug companies.Btw watch out for any products you use in and around your home.Just because they are allowed on supermarket and lawn and garden shelves does not mean they are not harmful to human and animal life.Thanks for allowing comments.
Mark Black
November 29, 2011 04:13AM
I have a 3 year old rough haired registered Collie. I am convinced Frontline is causing him to have seizures and I was not warned about it by my Vet. He has had 4 seizures so far and are exactly as described above by others on this site. I originally thought it was caused by Interceptor heartworm medicine. Stopped giving my Collie that as soon as I saw him have a seizure. I refuse to give him any kind of heartworm medicine from now on. I live on a farm, have had dogs all my life and we never gave any of them heartworm meds and never had a dog infected with heart worms.
My collie has had 3 seizures since I have given him frontline and didn't put two and two together until now and began researching. His seizure hits about 48 hours after application of the Frontline. Not sure what other product I could use, but I don't trust any of them now. Plus, the Frontline DID NOT work at killing fleas or preventing them!
mike
December 11, 2011 10:07AM
Hi Walter, I put frontline on my dog monday night at 10pm, by 3.30am he was vomiting uncontrollably and licking his lips non stop. We have taken him to the vets twice on Tuesday and friday, who have given him anti sickness medication and zantac, he stopped vomiting which was a relief as he couldn't even hold water down, he tried a tiny amount of food on wednesday morning but vomited it back up later. It is now Sunday morning and he still hasn't eaten. He has gone from the most loving little dog to the most lifeless little creature who just lies in the living room, he doesn't want to go out or eat we have to carry him to the garden, he has no reaction when the children come home where as he used to be so excited .He shakes all the time and he can't lay on his side as it is too uncomfortable. Our vet does believe it is the frontline and is sending the form she also spoke to someone who said there had never been any reports of this kind which after reading all these stories he was obviously lying so as not to admit responsibility which is completly unhelpful and terrible customer care he also said the only way you could have this reaction is if the dog had licked it which he definately did not there's no way he could reach it. We are taking our dog back to the vets tommorrow but as it stays in their system so long we are scared that we are going to have to watch our beloved pet starve to death.
December 18, 2011 11:54AM
Although there appears to be clear evidence that frontline can cause severe adverse reactions the fact that the symptoms appeared after the application of frontline does not necessarily mean that that is the cause. Considering the severity of the symptoms it would be wise to do blood tests to exclude other causes. Inflammation of the pancreas for instance would fit very well with the symptoms you describe and this can be a serious problem. I would advise excluding other things more definitively before concluding that frontline is the cause.
Bob
August 25, 2012 03:41AM
Alot of the post I read, people are saying after the 2nd 3rd or even 4th application is when the reactions happen. People think they have to use it once a month, but if you read closely it stays in your dogs system for 3 months, so if u put it on 3 months in a row, your dog is being overloaded with pesticides. I usually do one treatment in may and one in september, and never see any fleas. This year I only did one treatment because I wanna limit the pesticide my dog is exposed to, and I only did that because I take him camping. If fleas are not a huge problem in your area there is no reason to use any of these products every month, at least stretch it out 2 months.
Monica
January 23, 2016 12:56AM
My young healthy cat developed a sore red very "bald spot" about the size of a quarter between the back shoulder blades exactly where frontline plus for cats was placed.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved