VetClick Discussion Forum

Frontline allergy

Posted by Laura 
MEL WALLIS
Re: Frontline allergy
September 16, 2008 05:37PM
HI,

I HAVE A 5 MONTH OLD COLLIE PUP WHICH I TREATED WITH FRONTLINE, WITHIN 2 DAYS I HAD TO TAKE HIM TO THE VET AS HE DEVELOPED A VERY HARSH COUGH AND WAS QUIET AND MISERABLE. THANKFULLY, HE SEEMS TO HAVE RECOVERED. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH FRONTLINE BUT I WONDERED IF ANYONE ELSE HAS NOTICED THIS CONDITION OR WAS IT JUST A COINCIDENCE. IT DOES MAKE ME WONDER WHETHER I SHOULD USE IT AGAIN.

REGARDS MEL
September 16, 2008 08:13PM
Hi,

I would not think that coughing would be an adverse reaction connected with the use of Frontline.
If he was in contact with a dog in the vet's waiting room it is more likely that he contracted an infection then.

W
zulu dawn sue
September 24, 2008 12:53PM
Just to add to this growing list. My 4 year old rottie has also suffered severely with scabs and massive damaged done my him as he was suffering so much. My vets bill has amounted to £350 so far. I also contacted Frontline who were not interested. Their attitude hard luck its just something that happens rarely. I have contacted my vet to ask them to send a yellow form. Fortunately they keep records of purchases from them so I have proof of purchase.

STAY CLEAR OF FRONTLINE !
LilDog
October 07, 2008 02:20AM
I bought FL for the dog that my ex has, because she has terrible flea allergy dermatitis and will hotspot like crazy if she gets bit. (And my ex doesn't deal with it so it often ends up getting infected and a vet bill.) She is too big for where i moved to, so I let him keep her and I got a smaller AmStaff terrier. When i ordered the FL for ex's dog, I ordered some for mine. I don't remember her scratching much, I think I just wanted to be pro-active. She started itching though, and I thought it was fleas and the FL wasn't working. I bought new shampoos thinking maybe that was the problem. Itch itch itch. At 4 weeks I put another FL on her. She's still been itching like crazy, and itched a spot on the back of her head so much it bled. That is still healing. I saw a flea on the cat's bed today, so I got her flea stuff, sprayed the bedding, etc, and put another dose of FL on the dog. Well sure enough she start scratching. Not just where i applied it, but shoulders and stuff (i guess as it distributes). So finally a lightbulb goes off and i find this site and others. I definitely think she is allergic, and the bleeding hotspot on her head was no doubt from it last month (it was a small round spot)..

I just went and washed her with dish soap and now she is sleeping peaceful and not scratching at all. Hopefully I got most of it off her in time..
Donna Goodhue
October 10, 2008 08:19PM
Our spaniel has red spots that cause itching all over her belly. These spots scabbed heavy over as they each had hair lost in the area of redness. The first time this occured, we thought at first she has been repeatedly stung by hornets or some type of bug. We couldn't imagine what would cause the hair to leave the skin bare in dime size, and red itching scabs. She was promptly taken to the vet who really could not tell us what had caused the hair loss red sores. We were given an Betagen Topical Spray to apply on the area. These sores cleared after 2 months of continued care, and cleaning. We recently applied frontline on her for the next session of treatment, and found the sores appearing all over her belly again. I have no doubt this has been caused by the treatment.
Jenn
October 13, 2008 07:56PM
We bought Frontline for our 3 cats and dog Sophie. She started walking in circles a few hours after application and panting heavily.
She has started to bite her skin and caused it to be very red and swollen.
She is very distressed and we rang the vets. They said it was a reaction to fleas not the treatment. I dont believe this as she wasnt doing this before application.
I am worried about her as she is 10 years old and will be taking her to see our vet first thing in the morning.
This treatment is obviousley causing worries to some dogs and I wont be using it again.
October 15, 2008 03:04AM
Hi Jenn,

I used Frontline on my Sophie July 1, 2008 for the first time. You can read my story a few posts back. We have deat with this for the last three and a half months. It has been a nightmare. It is just beginning to heal and her hair to grow back. She still have scabs in her stomach and legs. She is 11 years old and is sick. If you read the small print on the box, it says not to use on old dogs or weak sick dogs. Little did I know . My Vet recommended it as the best and "SAFEST" product in the market. It almost killed her.
The best thing you can do is give her a bath and wash all of the poison off as soon as possible. I hope you do not have to go what I went through and my poor dog.
Best of luck!!!!

Amy
MelissaNYC
October 17, 2008 11:18PM
My cat is experiencing the same symptoms from Frontline Plus as Bren mentioned on her dog. Bald spot about size of a quarter became red and inflamed at the site of the application. The site is red, oozing, and the fur fell out. The first application did not produce these symptoms, but the second application produced this effect. Also, the product doesn't seem be working well. I've tried Advantage, which is a good product, but produced bumps in the applied area. No hair fell out and the bumps finally disappeared after almost a month (Advantage). I'm going to call my vet to see if there is any way I can provide a solution to this Frontline issue. No product should cause such a reaction if it is a safe one. My poor baby Gracie. I would highly discourage anyone from using this (Frontline, Frontline Plus) product. Bald spot, inflamed skin and oozing are words that shouldn't be used to describe a "normal" reaction after application.
Pauline
November 16, 2008 10:05PM
Hi Margie - I have a 10 month old Sealyham Terrier. I dosed him with Frontline a couple of months ago and he started to shiver and had a really high fever. After numerous visits to the vets he was diagnosed with Addisons Disease - although he showed no symptoms of Addisons. He has been on medication (steriods) for Adddisons ever since but I was convinced he had seperation anxiety so booked a session with a 'dog whisperer'. Apparently he was being subtely bullied by our older dog. We put into practice her suggestions and he was doing so well - more like his old perky self until I dosed him with Frontline the other day - he was off his food this morning and has started shaking again. I'm convinced he is reacting to the Frontline.
November 17, 2008 08:43AM
Hi, Pauline,
I am sorry to hear about your dog's problems, anf I hope he makes a rapid and complete recovery. Thank you for telling me about it - I trust you will not be using Frontline again.

W
Carol
November 19, 2008 03:38AM
I have been using frontline for several months now. My papillion does not act like himself for the day of the application. He walks in circles and seems very nervous and has no interest in playing or eating until about 24 hours later. The first time it happened I brought him back to the vet and they watched him etc. and they said he would be fine and it was not an allergic reaction and I should continue using it because it is the best prevention and safe so I have been using it and dealing with watching my dog( 1 year old) act like this. I am worried after reading so many posts I may be harming my dog letting him by still giving it to him. I did speak to Frontline and they did not think its a reaction to it.
November 19, 2008 08:23AM
Hi, Caro,
I think that adverse reactions to Frontline do occur, and anyone reading the other messages on this site would have to agree, though you could hardly expect the manufacturers to think so!!
There are other equally effective 'spot-on- treatments, which can be used on those few animals which have been shown to be sensitive to Fontline, and you can insist that your vet gives you one of those.

W
Cheryl
January 17, 2009 11:23PM
My dog never had fleas or used frontline until he spent the night at a pet sitters house. We had to put frontline on him for the first time (he is 13) and he has had
3 seizures. Tell me that is a coincidence!
January 18, 2009 07:56AM
Hi, Cherly,

If yuou read some of the earlier posts on this site you will see that others report the same sort of theing, but the manufacturers insist that Frontline is not responsible.
If you live in the UK, and bought it from your vet, insist that he reports it to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate on a 'yellow form'

W
Centar
January 19, 2009 07:06PM
Yesterday we applied Frontline Plus to our 13 month old 65lb. Shepard/Lab mix. We had applied it before maybe 3 times but this time she immediatly started acting wierd. At the very moment that the liquid hit her skin she hunched down like there was some discomfort. Then she was very restless going from room to room laying down then getting up seconds later to go to another site and then back again. She acted disconnected to us and would not stay still for us to inspect her or comfort her. Last night her breathing was really different (labored) and she has less energy and is moving around less than normal. I washed the area with soap and water and am going to put her in the shower for a full bath as soon as I'm done here. Thanks to everyone for their stories. It very well may save my dogs life or someone's else's dogs life. Frontline Plus is not good for our dog and we will NEVER use it again.
Good luck to everyone with your pets.
January 19, 2009 08:25PM
Hi, Centar,

I am sorry to read about your dog's unhappy response to Frontline.

Have you checked the expiry date on the Frontline pack? Some medications deteriorate in storage and that can cause problems, but please see my reply to Cheryl above.

It is very unfortunate that the manufactuers will not accept that Frontline may cause problems.

Only if EVERY adverse effect is reported to the authorities will any action be taken.

Walter
Springer02
January 19, 2009 10:23PM
Yesterday we applied Frontline Plus to our 13 month old 65lb. Shepard/Lab mix. We had applied it before maybe 3 times but this time she immediatly started acting wierd. At the very moment that the liquid hit her skin she hunched down like there was some discomfort. Then she was very restless going from room to room laying down then getting up seconds later to go to another site and then back again. She acted disconnected to us and would not stay still for us to inspect her or comfort her. Last night her breathing was really different (labored) and she has less energy and is moving around less than normal. I washed the area with soap and water and am going to put her in the shower for a full bath as soon as I'm done here. Thanks to everyone for their stories. It very well may save my dogs life or someone's else's dogs life. Frontline Plus is not good for our dog and we will NEVER use it again.
Good luck to everyone with your pets.
January 20, 2009 09:31AM
Hi, Spriber 02,

I have already replied to an identical message from Centar! See above.

W
Helen Powell
April 26, 2009 05:36PM
Hi there
My 3 year old maltese had never really come into contact with other dogs and so had never needed flea treatment. He started going out with a dog walker last October and she treated him with Frontline when he stayed with her for a few days, In January we noticed he was itching a lot and had the odd "heat lump", the vet suggested re treat with frontline, he was no better, since then we have had a 2 week course of steroids but no better, a week break and then 2 weeks of antibiotics, no better. Today he had had a seizure, he still itches and has spots, the ones today are on his forehead and have scabbed over. I have spoken to the vet on the phone and he says the fit and the itching/spots are unlikely to be related. Chico seems fine now, but still scratching. I lost my last maltese age 3 with a brain tumour, any suggestions?
Thanks
Helen
April 26, 2009 08:33PM
Hi,

If you think your dog's signs are related to the Frontline treatment you should report it as a 'suspected adverse reaction'.
If you are within reach of a consultant veterinary dermatologist I would suggest that you ask your vet for a referral.

W
Jeanne Stewart
April 29, 2009 01:15PM
Dear Walter,
I have not used frontline but for a few times in the past 8 yrs when my dogs have come in contact with flees such as one time when kenneled, another dog, and so on. We live in a region that is of clay.
I have been trying to find the source as to what my 3 out of 5 papillons have been alergic to, as it only has happened maybe 5 times. I have taken all treets from their diet coming from China, have ruled out chicken and various snacks, and dog foods. They now are currently on blue buffalo and doing wonderful. Last September for some unknown reason 3 out of my 5 started loosing clumps of hair from itching and itching and itching. They tore out their fringes in clumps, their petty-coats in clumps, their beards in clumps. I had clumps of hair everywhere. My papillons looked atrocious, brutal, and extremly uncomfortable. I don't remember how long this went on, possible a month. At this time I thought it was chicken jerky, which was a new brand, so I discontinued use. When this happened to my 6 yr old in 05 and 07, I took her to the vet for a shot of prednisone. I have kept her sister from another litter and her daughter. These three seem to have the problem. Last Fri I applied a dose of frontline ( I have never applied more then one dose a year) as a friend of mine insisted because he saw a tick. Two out of the three were spinning in circles trying to rub it off like they do after a bath, for the next half hr. My new pup Maiolaine kept itching the sight. Starlights eyes were bloodshot, she was panting, in distress, and in a panic. I took her to the tub along with Gracie and scrubed it all off. They were immediately better. The next morning ( 14 hrs later ) after not washing Zuliaka the one who has had the prednisone shots had torn out two clums of hair. I at the time did not put the conection together. Allthough puzzled because nothing new had been added to her diet. The next morning ( 24 hrs later ) I got up and there were clumps of hair everywhere. Clumps of hair 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Globs of hair. I took her to the tub and scrubed her. This morning when I got up Zuliaka "had not" torn out "one" hair. She is now fine. Had I not gotten the frontline off of her she would have itched and dug and torn her hair out for the next month. It takes a year for my papillons to get their full coats back after this dabilitating episode. I will never use frontline again. I never suspected frontline as I trusted this product with my dogs. It was used so sporadically and hard to pin point. I'm very elated that I have finally figured it out. Now my dogs don't have to suffer anymore, nor do I. No more vet bills as well.
Jeanne
Blaze
May 17, 2009 07:57PM
My Pug has been having skin issues for about a year now. His skin problems consist of red hives/bumps, dandruff, loss of hair, dry bumps with white stuff. He stratches like crazy and bites his feet.

The vet gave him antibotics because it was so bad. He got better but shortly after it started back up. I've changed foods multiple times, got special shampoos, hot spot sprays and start giving him fish oil pills that started to work. I thought I had figured it out since the Vet couldn't.

I didn't want to start him on an antiobotic again but after getting sensitive skin food prescribed by the Vet and that not working I didn't know what else to do. He's been on Clavomix and Benadryl for a week now. He seemed better once again. Then, yesterday I put Frontline on and I noticed he start scratching and biting his feet again? I noticed dandruff today too.

My next assumption is he's allergic to Frontline and this makes so much sense now. He would come home with skin reactions after the dog park and around my house and I figured someone just sprayed a chemical on the grass for insects. Then the itching from Frontline since its in his blood. He's allergic to pesticides, which I didn't realize similar like ingredients are in Frontine.

I called my Vet and an waiting to hear back. I started to research online in the meantime and notice that the same symptoms are with other pet owners. I've searched over 5 places and see the same thing. I'm going to try a new chewable flea protectant and see if that changes it for him before I completely talk bad about Frontline. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Jen
May 20, 2009 10:01PM
Walter,
I have 3 animals. A Great Dane who is 10, a Calico cat who is 9 and a Chihuahua who is will be 3 in August. We have always used a monthly flea medicine on them prescribed from the vet. We recently moved to North Carolina and their new vet put them on Frontline Plus. All three of them have had reactions...which is what caused me to search for information and find this site. They all get swollen, itchy and lethargic. The Calico was the worse and she gets dizzy and uncoordinated as well as losing her fur. We were also told that it wasn't the medicine. Yesterday morning I gave them their monthly flea medicine. Last night around 9, which was about 14 hrs after their doses, our cat had a horrible seizure in front of our kids who were terrified and traumatized. In 9 years, she has never had a problem until Frontline and now she has had 2 seizures and is still trembling from head to toe. I believe that Frontline Plus is causing animals to be sick and more people should know about it before they witness what we had to last night. Our daughter was so traumatized (Sassy is her cat that she received as a gift on her 3rd birthday) that she cried all night long and refused to go to school today for fear her cat would die while she was at school.

Jen
May 21, 2009 06:58AM
Hi,

Please ask your vet to report this as a 'Suspected Adverse Reaction' and if he is not willing to do so, write to the manufacturers themselves (Their address wiil be on the packet)

W
windycrb
June 06, 2009 10:14AM
Hi.
That was terrible that your dog died from frontline. I have been using frontline on all 6 of my Shitzu dogs like forver. I have one that has lost all his hair and the vet has been treating him for Yeast infection...And stating hes allergic to something in the air. we have spent our live savings trying to found out whats the problem with Benji.Well he wasns't as red .. but as soon as I put the frontline on him he started getting worse 2 days ago,,, so Iknow in my heart it has to be that Frontline. Maybe now he may get some releif.. Thank you for listening Jill
Catherine
June 07, 2009 03:28PM
The same thing has happen to my little Shih Tzu. She was a lively, alert, sweet little baby girl. Now she has no clue where she is at and just keeps walking around in circles. She can't sit down and rest. She has become neurotic. She hasn't slept in three days. She be walking and just fall down. Will probably have to put her down because she is old and and this will crush the family. My daughters grandparents are the ones who applied this product. They are the ones who feel the worst. This product should have warnings written clearly so dog lovers will know what the risks are and the harm they could due to their live ones.
Steve Parsons
June 13, 2009 10:25PM
I treated my 10 year old Golden with Advantage for years and recently started using Frontline and never heard about the problems people are have with it until today. She started having seizures about 4 months ago and I've been trying to figure out was has been causing them. I never thought about Frontline. Yesterday, I used Frontline Plus to treat her fleas and she had two seizures within 4 hours of this treatment. I took her to the Vets and they could see where she had been treated for fleas but no one there apparently had heard about the connection between Frontline and seizures. I will inform them soon. The Vet prescribed Phenobarbital and said she will have to have it the rest of her life. I'm hoping if I get rid of the Frontline from her system that hopefully we can get her off of these meds. Please pass the word on about Frontline and Frontline Plus...in my opinion, they should be taken off the market. Steve.
June 14, 2009 07:12AM
Hi, Steve,

Refer your vet to this site, and, if you are in the UK, insist that he completes a 'Suspected Adverse Reaction' form and sends it to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD). The onset of seizures in your bitch may be co-incidental, but there are a lot of these coincidences being reported!

W
Juliewithstanley
June 15, 2009 05:33PM
My dog has also had an allergic reaction to frontline. The symptoms are identical to many of the cases in this blog - clearly there is a corrolation. I am bringing my dog back to the vet tomorrow, as he continues to itch and have scabs, and lose hair despite a shot and pills. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can do at home to at least ease his itchiness?!?!?! He is miserable!
June 15, 2009 07:00PM
Hi,

The best tha I can suggest is that you ask your vet for a steroid cream to apply to the inflamed areas.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved