VetClick Discussion Forum

Frontline allergy

Posted by Laura 
fatbuttmut
Re: Frontline allergy
May 16, 2008 02:03AM
Going back to an early post, can I give Benadryl to my cat (18 pounds) and if so, how much?
He got his fur cut off today and it included a bath. About an hour after applying the Frontline on his neck the whole area, about 5 inches, turned all reddish and several hours later it has some dark red spots too. He doesn't seems to itch and this didn't happen with the previous 2 applications. At least I didn't notice since his fur then was so thick.
It's amazing that the company didn't even suggest something or even offered a refund. We all know Frontline and others like it is not really cheap and when this happens you're usually stuck with a few treatments you won't use.
I'm definetly going to report this to my vet.
Any suggestions for an alternative flea treatment? I also have a puppy and so far he hasn't had a reaction to Frontline.
May 17, 2008 11:09AM
Hi,

Benadryl is not licensed for use in cats and you would be giving it to yours at your own risk.
Your vet will be able to advise you on alternative 'spot-on' treatments. Be sure that he does report this adverse reaction to Frontline.

W
Karin
June 04, 2008 11:01PM
My sheltie walks in a trance-like state in "clockwise" circles after getting a dose of Frontline. I gave her a dose this morning and she did the usual circles and then threw up within a couple of hours. My other two dogs do just fine with it. Maybe its the breed or age of the dog. I'll keep using it on my big dogs, but I won't use it on my sheltie again.
June 05, 2008 07:08AM
Hi,

i think you have made the right decision here- use Frontline on the dogs which seem OK after using it, and some other make of 'spot-on' for the Sheltie.

W
Mclaughlin, Mary
June 11, 2008 12:58AM
I applied frontline plus to my 13 year old female dog and the next day she started coughing, and having seizures. The vet thinks she has an enlarged heart, but she has had that for years. A week after the application she is improving in that she isn't having seizures but is still coughing.
dee3221
June 11, 2008 04:19AM
My dog just recieved frontline for the second time and started losing excessive amount of hair on his back. Im not sure what exactly is going on, but it is spreading to other areas on his back. It happened about a day after he received the medication. Do you know what else we should look out for. The vet gave him steriods and bendryl and told us we should give him benedryl everyday. Whats causing this reaction, and is it true that internal organs get effected. How can we prevent something more serious occuring like seizures etc, if that is possible. Is hairloss common side effect?
June 12, 2008 09:59AM
Hi,

It is becoming clear that some dogs do react adversly to Frontline, and it should not be used again on dog when a reaction has occurred.
Insist that your vet does an 'Adverse reaction report' to the VMD on a 'Yellow Form'

W
Grace
June 13, 2008 03:57AM
We have given our 12 year old bichon frise Frontline every year since her first season of fleas and ticks. Last year we applied the Frontline in the same manner as we have for the previous 10 years (on the back of her neck). Last year we noticed shortly after the application that she was scratching her neck to the point that it was bleeding. We bathed her and stopped with the Frontline. This year after going to the vet for her annual shots and heartworm testing, we told the vet about the reaction she had to Frontline and asked if there was another flea and tick medication to use instead. We were told about Advantix. Our vet suggested that we might want to try Frontline again, reducing the amount of the dose to see if there is a reaction as the previous year. We were told that we could wash it off after 24 hours . . . that it would still have an effect against fleas and ticks. About 25 hours after the application we noticed that Bella was scratching the area where the Frontline was applied. After 24 hours we noticed she was still scratching and the area was becoming red and starting to bleed (assumably from her scratching). I immediately washed the area with shampoo and felt relieved that it was off her skin and there would be no more irritation. A few days later, I noticed that she was scratching the area again. Watching her closely,the area became red and to the point of bleeding. I then bathed her with puppy shampoo . . . making sure her neck area was very clean. Again feeling sure that it all the Frontline was removed. Days later, again, Bella was scratching. I would put cool compresses on her neck thinking that the coolness would take away any itch she might have. Tomorrow I will call the vet and find out what needs to be done, because apparently even though the area was washed with shampoo and her body was bathed with puppy shampoo and for 3 days since, I've sponge bathed the area with cool water . . . she is still scratching. I will contact the vet tomorrow. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you.
June 14, 2008 11:30AM
Hi,

Another case of a pet being sensitive to Frontline. Next time, insist that your vet gives you something different.

W
Alex&Barker-puss
July 15, 2008 02:17PM
Hi!
I have been putting Frontline on my dear cat and this recent time the hair fell out where i had put it. Also he has been scratching furiously - big tufts of hair coming out. He sleeps in my bedroom and it keeps us both awake.
I know fleas are awful which is of course why i decided to use the product. But this latest result of using the Frontline has meant we are both suffering. There's so much cat fur flying about that i'm getting some kind of allergic response too! - nostrils affected. Or maybe my response is to the Frontline. I don't know. I'm not a hayfever sufferer and used to snuggling my face in Barker's fur without swollen, itchy nostrils.

I found it interesting to read about one batch of Frontline possibly being differently balanced/inconsistant to another as i have noticed with these last three doses (the latest pack) he has seemed a bit "run down" after i've applied the dose. He gets really nervous too. For example. we went outside together yesterday, there was no wind or wild weather, it was very calm. But he was really lacking in confidence, something that happens when he's poorly. He was looking around wide eyed and nervous and any sound he'd dive into the bushes. I'm going to watch this. And yes - i think i'll go to the vet and report this batch of Frontline - just the fact of his hair falling out like that is good enough reason. It is strong stuff for sure! I mean, the fact it smells so strong and acts for so many weeks. Barker once had a tick on him. I put some Frontline on and the tick fell out immediately! So it works. But then for some animals it's not surprising that they can't withstand it well themselves. Poor Barker must lick the stuff up in grooming too.
I'm so sorry other owners/animals have suffered so, for whatever reason. It's possible it could be a reaction to the chemicals, i can believe that. Some people die of eating peanuts of course. Nothing is 100% safe. I know that's not much consolation. I love my cat dearly. It's the fleas i want done for, not him.

Thanks for this forum! It's good to find a place to share about this stuff. With visits to the GP there's the option these days of sharing some of your experience and having it respected and taken into account. With a visit to the vets there feels like there is far less room for that - it's like the vets know it all and we put our pets fully in their hands. Unfortunately that's the way it goes. You certainly can't call the vet and ask for advice - they always want to see the animal. I trust know my animal, and i know myself, pretty well. If i were to go he'd undoubtedly be given injections to be on the safe side with "the vet knows best" attitude. It's a tricky business. I can understand the caution, but could vets listen and pay respect a little more to the owners and less to the chemical manufacturers?
July 15, 2008 03:47PM
Hi, Alex,

Wow! I am sorry that you have such a poor opinion of vets, that they never listen to you. If that is the case with your vet, I hope he/she is the exception. I hear far more about people saying thay they wished they could attend the vet for themselves - their pets always got better attention than their owners did from their medical GP!

I cannot tell from which country you are calling - I can only speak for the UK from my personal experience.

Wherever you are, you should be able to discuss the adverse effects of Frontline, and ask for it to be reported to the VMD in UK, or FDA in the US.

W
Gary
July 23, 2008 03:08PM
I have a 18 month black-lab that I applied Frontline to, a month ago. He soon started vomitting and eating weeds and grass like horse or something. Then, a couple weeks later he developed a quarter of inch blister on his right cheek of his face and a small leision on his left lip. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms to their dog.
July 23, 2008 04:25PM
Hi,
You will see from reading some of the other posts on this site that many dogs do seem to respond badly to Frontline, but I do not think that the signs you describe will have been caused by Frontline.

W
bob garton
July 23, 2008 08:11PM
I used Frontline for the first time today on my 11-month-old Norfolk terrier. After a few hours she developed itchy pink lumps on her skin. The vet says she may have an allergy... not necessarily to Frontline, maybe something in the garden... but I think the coincidence is too much. The vet has prescribed Piriton for her. She has stopped itching but her eyes are rather puffy. I hope she gets no worse. If Frontline in fact can provoke allergic reactions in animals I am sure that no responsible owner will want tro use it. The makers should be oblliged to warn owners, or withdraw the product from sale.

Bob Garton
Cornwall
July 24, 2008 08:44AM
Hi,

This sounds like an adverse response - I think it is stretching coincidence a bit far too attribute it to anything else.

W
kristie
August 03, 2008 05:43PM
I gave my dog frontline plus she had a bad reaction within 24hrs. I have been up for to nites with her, last nite I called vet at 2 am and the only thing he told me to do is to give her a bath. I had the idea for Bendryl, which he said was a good idea. Now she is very sleeply and won't get up. She hasn't eaten in 2 days and was panting for hours. Frontline dosen't pick up phone until monday 8am. This started on Friday nite...;
August 03, 2008 08:59PM
Hi, Kristie,

The sleepiness may be the effect of the Benadryl, not the Frontline.
Although an increasing number of pets do seem to be reacting badly to Frontline, it is very rarely fatal.
if you bought the Frontline from your vet or a pharmacist and not from a pet store they should be giving you more help - the vet especially. If it was from the vet, it is up to him to make an Adverse Reaction report to the medicine authorities - the FDA if you are in the USA, and the VMD if you are in the UK.
By all means contact the makers tomorrow yourself.

W
Amy
August 10, 2008 08:28PM
Hi,
My dog Sophie has a terrible skin reaction to Frontline. I had always used Biospot before with no problem but because of other medical conditions the Vet recommended that I used Frontline. BIG MISTAKE!!!!!. It all started with a couple of little lumps that I thought were flee bites. Then the skin started to get red and irritated. My dog is a Shepherd mix and has tons of short black hair (about 1inch long) with a thick undercoat. Hard to see the skin unless you part it with your fingers. I saw some moisture on the hair a couple of days later and I almost died when I saw what was underneath. The skin was bleeding and oozing. I took her to the vet right away. They shaved the area which is now 7 by 4 inches. It was totally raw and oozing. A week later she had a scab as thick a 1/4 inch on the whole area, which was cracking because of the folds of the skin, just like the skin on a bruised knee or knockle The vet cleaned the whole thing again. Now she is taking heavy duty antibiotics and I am applying an ointment twice a day. It really does not look any better than it looked three weeks ago. It is still scabby and oozie. Needles to say than when I take her for a walk I have to explain to other people with dogs in my neighborhood that this is not contagious. She looks like she has LEPROSY. Because she is so black and the area is between her shoulders you can see it right away. I wish I could post pictures. I have not contacted Frontline or Meril. I really doubt they admit to anything. My poor dog is almost 11 and has other medical problems. THIS IS THE LAST THING SHE NEEDED NOW.
August 10, 2008 08:48PM
Hi,

This certainly may well be another reaction to frontline

INSIST that your vet reports it to the FDA as a suspected adverse reaction to medication. if you can provide photographs as well as the vet's own report, it could help to persuade Merial that they have a problem.
I hope your dog gets better soon.

W
sv
August 12, 2008 03:06AM
My Black Lab has been breathing hard and acting anxious after receiving frontline. the past couple of times. The frontline was bought online from a reputable company. Could it be an allergy?
Jimmy Ayres
August 12, 2008 01:03PM
I had a 6 year old Malemute. She was perfectly healthy on the day I treated her with Frontline on 8/9/08. The next day she laid around and would not eat or drink. The following morning she was worse, breathing very fast and short. An hour later she was dead. I have no doubt that this was a reaction to Frontline. I have lost a treasured member of my family do to my own ignorance. Dog owners, please be aware of this possible reaction. I would give anything if I could go back and NOT put that poison on my dog. Jimmy Ayres, jlayres@yahoo.com
August 13, 2008 03:50PM
Hi SV,

This could have been an adverse response to Frontline, but since you bough it online you will have no easy comeback on the suppliers.
Next time you need to use a 'spot-on' ask your vet for something other than Frontline. He will be on the spot ( no pun intended) should you get another adverse reaction.

W
August 13, 2008 03:53PM
Hi,
iIam so sorry to hear about the death of your dog after applying Frontline. There are now many apparantly related adverse reactions to Frontline being reported. If you bought it from your vet, make sure that he reports it to the drugs licensing authority in your country.

W
August 21, 2008 09:05PM
Hi Walter,
Just wanted to let you know that my dog, Sophie, has now a huge new spot on her head and the rash extends to the middle of her back. About 12 inches. I am washing it every day with a antiseptic shampoo given by the Vet and coating after with Silvedene, a medication given to burn victims with second and third degree burns. I tried to report it to the FDA but here in the USA, Frontline is considered a pesticide or insecticide and therefore is handled by the Environmental Protection Agency hotline. Their phone number is 1-800-858-7378. They were very nice and helpful and I have sent them pictures to make a case report. They would ask you a few questions and if you have the actual package of Frontline they would ask you for some numbers on the package. Their website is www.NPIC.ORST.EDU.
I hope this help some of the people having the same problem and that if enough of us report it something can be done about it.
Amy
August 22, 2008 08:43AM
Hi, Amy,

I live in France and cannot access USA 800 phone numbers. Nor do I have any Frontline.
I suggest that you ask the EPA to look at this web site and see the various complaints that have been received, just as a sample.

W
August 23, 2008 05:46AM
Hi Walter,

I sent this link to the EPA. The reason I posted their name and phone number when I wrote you is so that other people can hopefully see it and take some action reporting their cases.
Thanks for all of your help.
Amy
August 31, 2008 03:30PM
Hi
My bulldog has recently just suffered an awful reaction to Frontline./ He is 4 years old but we have only had him for a year and I only used Frontline on him and my other dog as we have a puppy staying during the week.

I WILL NEVERUSE IT AGAIN, his back and up to his head is such a mess, we took him to the vet as soon as we noticed the reaction and they had to sedate him (not a good thing to do in bulldogs unless you have to) to clean it all up.

He has lost a huge patch of hair acorss his bac an dup to his head, despite medicatation it is still red and sore and he has now developed sores all over his body which keep on coming.

Having read other posts it would seem that this will last a while as the Frontline is in his system for 3 months! I can't believe that I have put him through this and feel so responsible.

My vets have filed the appropriate forms with Frontline and they have said that I might here from them, but doubt it. The vets couldn't beleive the reaction was caused by frontline and kept coming up with other ideas, but the reaction started in the exact two spots I put Frontline on his back. They ar ehappy it was the cause of it now.

My other dog has had sores as well since we used it on him.

I am so sorry to all of you who have actually lost pets because of this poison (which is what my vet called it).

Best of luck to you all.
xx
August 31, 2008 07:22PM
Hi Lozlu,

I am really sorry about your doggies. My dog Sophie has been a mess for about two months now. Her whole back and head had to be shaved. It is about a foot long long. It really looks like she has Leprosy. It is awful!!!!! It is getting a little better but she also has developed other spots in her tummy and under her arms. Because she is taking Prenisone for her other ailment and cannot be stopped, the healing process is very slow. Prednisone suppresses the immune system.
Even though Frontline has been in the market for a very long time, I suspect that the formulation has been changed or there are some bag batches out there. If you live in the USA, I beg you to report it to the Environmental Protection Agency. 1-800-858-7378. Please read my post above regarding this. If you have pictures you can e-mail them to them.
I have not reported it to Frontline because in the package it says not to give to older or sick dogs. My dog is 11 and she has cancer. I just trusted the vet when she told me that it would be SAFE for her to use because it has less chemicals than what I have been using before. BIG MISTAKE!!!
At least your dogs are young and healthy. I hope they get better soon.
Amy
Kristin
September 01, 2008 01:22AM
I'm not sure if my dog is allergic to frontline, but my mom thinks it's a possibility. My dog is a cocker spaniel and we rescued her from SPCA of Orlando. When we first got her they said she was anemic from fleas, so we had to give her this medicine. Well we didn't get frontline until a month later, because they already applied it to her, and when we used the frontline she had all these scab things all over her. They seem like dandruff, in a way, but they are in certain spots, and when you run your finger over the area, the skin is risen there. Now they are a pinkish/red color. She also continues to scratch and bite herself. Yet we also started this cheap shampoo from Wal mart, so we are debating which it is, the shampoo or frontline. Or if it's another cause. Obviously just from her symptoms it can't be determined, but if I try a new shampoo from Petsmart and that doesn't work, would taking her to the vet to find out be a good idea? We took her once for her checkup and the vet didn't seem to notice them then, so I don't know if he didn't notice or didn't think of it. But still I was wondering if maybe the vet would be a better help then me and my mom guessing and checking with everything. Thank you.
September 01, 2008 07:52AM
Hi, Kristin,

As you might expect, my advice is ALWAYS to go to the vet if you are worried about your dog. The anti-flea shampoo the vet will sell you may well be more expensive than he one from Pet-Smart, but is should do the job better and safely.
Explain about the reactions, and ask for something other than Frontline - there are several spot-ons available, and reports of possible adverse reactions do not seem be be as common as with Frontline.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved