VetClick Discussion Forum

What's wrong with my cat?

Posted by Kathleen Allden 
Re: What's wrong with my cat?
November 03, 2012 04:46PM
Hi Ian

The bad smell and discharge sound like they are due to infection in her mouth. The fact that she is too uncomfortable to eat properly as well means that she is going to get quite ill unless you take her to a vet for treatment. Even if the tongue is healing she still needs antibiotics.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
MM
November 21, 2012 02:36PM
I have a male neutered cat approx 12 yrs old (we got him from a shelter 10 yrs ago, they estimated he was 2 then) Recently he seems dis-orientated at times, turns in circles before he gets moving and stays close to walls/furniture when walking & his gait is sometimes unsteady. His appetite seems fine, uses litter tray normally, but has stopped going outside. Any ideas? I'm in rural UK, & vet is both distant and expensive, would take him if he seemed distressed in any way, but he's just got this disorientation, my daughter has started calling him 'Wobbles'. Appreciate any advice
November 23, 2012 11:16AM
Hi

I am concerned about your cat. His symptoms show he has problems with his balance which are making him unsteady on his legs and he is certainly disorientated because he feels giddy. The circling, probably always in the same direction if you check, is also a significant and serious symptom. Sounds like he's doing his best to cope using walls and furniture as a guide because he feels wobbly and its no longer safe for him to go outside, so he is being sensible. I appreciate you have problems about getting him seen by a vet but as your cat could have disease in his ear or his brain, it really would be the best thing to do. I am pleased he's still eating OK but his problems might only get worse without you getting him some help.

john royce
December 06, 2012 06:54PM
My 1 yr old cat, is suddenly more vocal than normal meowing sadly, she is less active and appears to be very clingy. Her appetite is slightly reduced. This has been for about 12 hours. Could this be serious?
December 08, 2012 10:37AM
Hi

The symptoms are non-specific but the fact that she is eating less is significant, especially if her appetite drops off further. I cant say what the problem is but she doesnt sound 100% so I would advise you to get her checked over by a vet, just in case.

Rebecca123
January 19, 2013 04:58AM
My cat Noel is about 10 years old. I got him from the SPCA about 9 years ago. Recently he has been unable to make it to the litter box in time. Everyday is poos in various places throughout the house. They are also extremely odorous which is new. We have tired switching his food to a special cat food for older cats and that only made it worse. We have started limiting it's food intake and that has helped it go from 3 times a day to once. I am worried that something may be wrong with him. Please help.
January 29, 2013 06:54PM
Hi Rebecca

It certainly sounds like there's a problem with your cat's digestion. There's a long list of possible causes especially as he's now an older cat. Your vet really needs to be the place you take your question. The problem could be due to overactive thyroid glands , maldigestion or inflammatory bowel disease. Without tests to check for these conditions its not going to be possible to know for sure what's causing your cat to poo so much round the house.

Dawn cliff
February 08, 2013 08:25AM
Hello there I wonder if you can help me my cat is about 7months old and is female she has not been neuted yet. About 2months ago she started cocking her back legs and her tail goes up and to the side and making a horrible meowing as if she was in pain I took her to the vets and they said its gastro something in a cat she has a poorly belly but I don't think it is its very strange and I have never seen another cat do it she started it again wed and I would like to no if any one can help me
Erika Trevino
February 09, 2013 04:43PM
A few days ago my cat got into a fight with another cat. Since then he hasn't Been eatting it drinking a lot if water but he sleeps almost all day. He is normally every energetic and playful. Lately he hasn't let anyone touch him on his back and won't let anyone pick him up. Can someone please inform me what may be wrong. I'm starting to get worried.

-Erika Trevino
February 19, 2013 02:57PM
Hi Dawn

I can't speak for certain but the symptoms that you describe are suspicious for a cat who is in season. Female cats in oestrus, to use the technical term, crouch down and present their rear with the tail to one side and make a loud yowling noise that confuses many cat owners into thinking their cat is in pain. It is highly likely that your cat has now fully matured and will repeat these cycles roughly every three weeks for the next few months unless of course you decide to have her neutered, or if she is going outside she is likely to get mated. You might want to her checked over with your vet and get them to confirm that if she is healthy, in which case neutering her is the option to prevent these symptoms.

February 19, 2013 03:04PM
Hi Erika

The history of a cat fight is highly suspicious for a bite wound on his back that is now becoming infected. These types of wounds often become infected from bacteria in the cat's mouth which are implanted along with the teeth!. It's paniful and he may have devloped an abscess by now which confirms the infection in the wound. If he has, and he's not healing up and is still lethargic I really think he needs some treatment at a vet clinic.

Anna lucy
March 11, 2013 09:19AM
My cat has started chewing the bottom of her back, pulling out clumps of hair and making it bald and red, and is swishing her tail in a strange way a lot as though trying to brush something away?
March 29, 2013 01:24PM
Hi Dawn

Your cat is clearly irritated and the skin is uncomfortable. She is making it worse by overgrooming and causing self trauma. the simplest possible cause is a flea dermatitis-do you treat her against fleas regularly? She will need treatment from a vet even if you do treat for fleas and the skin irritation and soreness still continues.

mica
June 03, 2013 08:30PM
My 5 yr old cat won't eat it's been almost a week, he is still drinking a
Little bit of water but not much, his signs are sunken eyes, meat loaf position
and weak, and with drawn from me, I switch his food from wet to dry for 1mounth
and he eat it for a while then stopped so I switched him back to wet today
and he has not eat any of it what should I do?
June 18, 2013 05:05PM
Hi Mica

I hope you took your cat to the vet because this sounds serious. A week is ages for a cat not to eat and the symptoms you describe of sunken eyes suggest he was dehydrated through not drinking enough. There's many possibilities for these serious symptoms and I can't diagnose the problem but anyone whose cat shows these signs plus the weakness described should take their cat along to a vet.

Julie Luxton Dunn
August 06, 2013 10:00AM
My 2 year old Tonkinese male (desexed) marks my bed, this is due to male 8 month old (desexed) male cat vying for attention. I can close doors this is not the problem however the smell of the Tonkinese urine is similar to burnt paper or fabric, I find this to be unusual, can you enlighten me.
Both cats have a very healthy diet. Fresh and varied foods, brushed regularly and loved daily. PS Country cats spend a lot of time out doors.
August 08, 2013 06:55AM
Hi

Yes you have got the behaviour issue identified. Cat's seem to want to get their owner's attention and increase their own security by marking things close to the owner -its unfortunate when its your bed! The two cats are competing for your attention. Closing the door is about the least complicated thing you can do. I can't tell you why the urine would smell different. Most cat urine is quite pungent in odour, even in neutered cats, especially when its sinks into fabric and stays around.

Tressa Dialogue
January 21, 2016 12:33AM
My kitten has been sitting weird for the past day and a half. She will lay on her front paws like normal, but sit on her hind legs like she is ready to pounce. She kind of grunts every second or so but still purrs normally and with meow at me normally. There is a wetness near her tail that she tries to keep clean, and will lick fairly regularly. When she sits or lays down, she will start sitting normally then sit higher on her paws. I am thinking it might be constipation or a uti. Is there any way I can help her because we can't get to the vet till the morning.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved