VetClick Discussion Forum

What's wrong with my cat?

Posted by Kathleen Allden 
Re: What's wrong with my cat?
August 28, 2011 10:44AM
Unfortunately this is all rather vague but bad smells could come from ear or dental infections which you might not spot, otherwise the cat may have got something smelly on its coat. Bad breath can also be caused by kidneys problems or diabetes but by this stage I would expect the cat to be very unwell if that were the case. You could try and bathe the cat and see if the smell goes, otherwise see your vet.
Nancy
I'm worried about my cat's paw.
August 30, 2011 08:24PM
I'm a first-time cat owner, and i've noticed my cat protects its left leg: it won't land on it, and it also kind of limps around a bit. I've even noticed that its left paw is pigmentally different from its other padded paws. The left paw's palm area (not the padded finger pumps -- re: i don't know cat physiology...but someone who knows cats should get what i mean) is a dark purpley-dark blueish color.

The cat is 12 years old. I've inherited it. So i don't know if the paw always looked that way -- like many it's some kind of weird cat version of vetilogo -- i.e., the skin disease Micheal Jackson made famous.

Should i be worried? Is this like the normal bruising that might occur around an area that is sprained on a human?

I don't have enough money to go to the vet. Can someone who's either a veterinarian or gotten advice from a veterinarian about this problem please tell me what's going on with my pet.

The bottom line is, i wanna know if it can heal naturally, and what i can do to speed it up if it's in fact the result of an injury.

Thank you,

Nancy
Re: I'm worried about my cat's paw.
September 05, 2011 07:07AM
Well it is hard to say whether this is normal for the cat if you do not know what it looked like before so that I will have to leave you to answer, but what you describe sounds like bruising which could be from a bite wound for instance. Try and soak the cat's paw in warm salty water for 5 mins at least 3 times a day to try and draw out any infection then keep it clean once the infection bursts out (if that is what it is of course). If this does not solve the problem in less than a week then you will need a vet to examine the cat I expect.
Claire
Re: Paw punctures
September 05, 2011 10:23PM
Hi
Just wanted some reassurance really that my 10 1/2 month old kitten is on the mend. Last week he came home with a serious limp/crying - obviously in pain, and then we noticed he had bleeding from his back paw - we took him to the vets a couple of hours later who said he had 2 puncture wounds to his paws (probably due to a bite from another cat) and gave him 5 days of antibiotics. With only 1 tablet left his paw his definately on the mend and he is not crying in any discomfort but he is still not walking on it constantly, He will walk on 4 legs but then reverts back to hobbling around on 3 legs - is this to be expected? Also, we obviously have not let him outside since the incident, but as he improves he is wanting to go out again - how long would you recommend keeping him in for before allowing him out again.

With Thanks
September 15, 2011 07:24AM
Claire

An uncomplicated bite wound should have the cat sound in a few days on antibiotics. It is possible that there could be something going on at the wound site such as a chipped bone, or a piece of the other cat's tooth in the wound, or the cat may have strained a tendon or muscle during the fight.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on holiday.
September 15, 2011 07:29AM
Lori

The are hundreds of causes of vomiting but in most instances the cat has eaten something that has disagreed with it so starving for 24 hours and a bland diet for a few days usually sorts this out. In your case if your cat is straining to go to the toilet then it may be constipated or there may be a problem with the urinary tract such as stones. A teaspoon of liquid paraffin in the food twice a day can help relieve constipation. If these things do not work then best get him looked at.
Cha
September 26, 2011 04:52PM
Can soneone help me?????
I have had my cat for about 3 months now and when I got her she was a lovely cat (still is) but latly she aint been herself when i get home she normailly greets me at the door to run out but she aint for the last couple of days and she normally follows me around the flat from every room everytime I go somewhere but she aint she also seems to be sleeping in her bed alot wich is also not like her she normally gose out all the time when I am at home she seems to be eating ok and I dont know about her going to the loo as she dont use her litter tray she would rather go out. Is she ok? And should I be worried? Thank you
October 03, 2011 05:11AM
Unfortunately this sort of change in behaviour is very non-specific and although the change in behaviour indicates that something is amiss, it does not really help point to anything specific. If you are worried get her looked at by your vet.
Julie N.
My cat is off his food
October 09, 2011 10:26PM
My cat is 4 yrs and usually very lively and eats anything, even eats our other cat's food. He hasn't eaten for 3 days, just looks at it (even the biscuits he likes) but doesn't touch it. He has been drinking quite a bit of water, which he doesn't usually do and sleeps a lot and is very tired.
Re: My cat is off his food
October 10, 2011 04:24AM
Not eating is a rather vague sign which could be almost anything but the most common cause would be an infection requiring antibiotics. Cats that do not eat for more than a few days can get quite ill from not eating and will take longer to get better so see your vet.
Hannah Louise
October 15, 2011 07:50PM
My cat is 3 years old, a week ago she started coughing and sneezing and went off her food a little bit so we took her to the vets and they said she may have an infection inside and gave us some antibiotics as she also had a high temperature. That was three days ago and today she had some sort of seizure and started shaking and after looked like she was trying to be sick and she's also sleeping a lot sad smiley
Nils
October 16, 2011 07:52AM
Yesterday my cat came into my room and i saw that her tongue was sticking out, she had a little blOod on her mouth and on her paws. Now a day later its still the same but her heart is betting a little faster but she isnt running around the hous like usual. Do you maybe know what she has or what to do ??? Thanks
October 16, 2011 08:30AM
Hannah

Respiratory infections do not usually cause seizures but a persistent high temperature may do as may low blood sugar if the cat is not eating. It may be that the seizure was unrelated to the infection. It could be related to the antibiotics but this is unlikely. It would be wise to go back to your vet.

Nils

This sounds like a broken jaw - see your vet.
Plumstead Lady
October 19, 2011 12:47PM
My Siamese-cross cat,18 months,has been crouching as if needing to defecate but no result
Has been sick
Vet says no intestinal blockage and suspects cystitis but that doesn't explain the other symptoms does it?
Would value your advice:thank you
October 24, 2011 06:35AM
Sorry to disappoint but what you describe is a typical symptom for cystitis.
Cori-Lynn Wilson
October 29, 2011 03:57PM
My cat has a lump on his neck and I just now relized it. It is bald now because all the hair has fallin out. It seems like there is a clear fluid coming out of it.My cat likes to fight alot and he is13. I dont know if this has anything to do with it though. I put some proxide on it, and can't afford to go to the vet, Any idea what it is or what to do?
October 31, 2011 10:29AM
This is an abscess and really needs lancing to let the pus out or the cat will get sick. Hot compresses on the area may help it burst but ideally you need to get the vet to lance it.
tilda
December 12, 2011 07:44PM
Hi,
Are cat is acting strangly recently .
she meows most of the time and rolls around
and goes down low on her legs?
can you help?
thanks.
December 18, 2011 11:57AM
Is your cat entire (not been neutered) and female? If so she is in season and this is normal behaviour. If not then the symptoms are not indicative of anything in particular and you should see your vet for further examination.
Angel Tanner
August 06, 2012 04:39PM
my cat has been drooling like crazy for about a week now he's not even 1 yet. He's mutated though, he was from a litter that had only reproduced in that litter and he has and extra finger and claw on both front paws please tell me whats wrong i would appreciate it.
August 07, 2012 08:40AM
Any cat that starts drooling for no apparent reason needs to be seen by a vet. The most likely reason is that he's experiencing some form of mouth or tooth problem. It could be an abscess that would need antibiotics or it could be a loose or broken tooth or similar. If he's still able to eat, that's good but he still needs to be seen. If he's not eating then the sooner you can get him checked out by your vet the better.
JDGirl
August 20, 2012 09:01PM
Hi,
My friend and I rescued a kitten from the woods about 4 weeks ago. The vet thinks she is about 10 weeks old. When my friend found her, she had no use of either of her hind legs. She took her to the vet and had her checked out, however didn't have the money for an x-ray. Since then, she has gained about 50% use of her right hind leg, however, it seems to dislocate occasionally. Her left hind leg stays straight and doesn't bend at the knee. I took her home with me last night and to the vet today for x-rays. I won't know the results until tomorrow, however the vet said that in order to repair her leg, she would need some sort of pin put in, and over the next year, surgery multiple times since she's growing. He said it would cost me thousands of dollars and hinted that I should just have her put down. However, she doesn't seem to be in pain, scoots herself around, eats and drinks normally, and defecates normally. I'm not willing to put her down just because it might be too much work to heal her, however I am looking for more reasonable and inexpensive options to help her. Please help! Thank you!
Nicole
August 26, 2012 09:47PM
My cat is very out of character. He's usually really energetic and playful but he's really jumpy and has been out of it all day. We came up with the idea that he may have had a hair all but I'm really worried. Any ideas? We went away for eight days last week, the longest he's been seperated from us. Has he had a big scare and is still recovering?
John Carr
old cat?
August 27, 2012 07:57PM
Hi-
Our cat is almost 16 and up until a maybe a week ago has been fully healthy. We first noticed that he began to walk with his tail between his legs. That was followed by a strange habit of rapidly scratching his ear whenever we'd pet it. He still eats but seems to walk around with a 1000 yard stare that he's never had. Is he just getting old or do you think it is something we might be able to do

Thanks
Jane Dow
September 04, 2012 11:51AM
my cats been lethargic, always sleeping and rather grouchy over the last few days. this isnt like her. also she keeps going in the dog pen and lying in the middle of roads which only started 3 days ago. shes a 9 year old tabby. any advice? would be greatly appriciated.
jane
Erica
October 25, 2012 08:51PM
Hi! I'm not sure what's wrong with my cat. He keeps frantically licking himself, quickly running a couple feet, there's more frantic licking then he flaps his jaw and tongue, puts his tail between his legs, darts off and hides while still making smacking sounds with his mouth. Is something wrong with his tongue or mouth? This has been happening occasionally for the past 2 weeks. He still eats fine and still licks himself normally(not frantically) most of the time. It's a strange and new behavior. He's 6 years old and is an indoor cat. I hope he isn't in pain. We have been transitioning to a new house.. Would that be related? We've moved in the past with him and this never happened.
October 27, 2012 12:07PM
Hi Erica,

I dont know why your cat is showing this unusual behaviour. You should get him checked over by a vet in case there is a medical problem. Some of it could just possibly be stress related to your recent house move as a change of house does certainly create stress for cats. If that is the case there are products which can be used to help alleviate the stress caused to him by his new environment, plus gradually in time he should feel less upset with the new surroundings as they become familiar. Start with a vet check up for him then if there's nothing found then you can use products that have proven to help reduce cat stress such as Feliway plug-in diffusers. These release a synthetic feline pheromone that act to make a cat feel more relaxed and less stressed in its environment.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
mariam
October 27, 2012 11:46PM
hello,

my cat is nearly 2 years, he vomited twice, he doesn't eat, he sleeps all the time and he's eye is infected

what is wrong with him?
November 01, 2012 05:21PM
Hi Mariam

What you describe here are all significant signs of illness but there's a variety of possible causes. He may have a high fever which is why he is not eating and is so sleepy. I can't tell you the exact cause but you do need to take him to see your vet because it sounds like he needs treatment which might include antibiotics. I hope you have taken him along there by now, if he's still this poorly dont wait.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
ian
November 01, 2012 06:05PM
my cat came home with either a bad bite or cut on her tongue, it seems to have sealed ok but she is obviously having trouble eating, her breath is very bad and there seems to be some discharge around her mouth, any suggestions please.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved