VetClick Discussion Forum

What's wrong with my cat?

Posted by Kathleen Allden 
Re: What's wrong with my cat?
February 19, 2009 08:52AM
Hi,
There are several things, virus infection, swallowed something causing an obstruction or a gastritis, and only a proper examination by a vet will distinguish them. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

W
jmt
July 16, 2009 11:03AM
my cat is 2 years old. she is a hairless sphinx. she has lost her appetite over the last couple of days. her nose has become dry aswell. she has become a lot more lathargic too and just wants to sleep all the time. she has also vomited a couple of times over the last couple of days. she is up to date with all her jabs including rabies. what could possible be wrong with her? she will be going to the vet, just wanted to know what could possibly be wrong with her beforehand.
July 16, 2009 02:11PM
Hi,
It is difficult to say without being able to examine her. She may have acquired a virus infection - not all cat viruses are covered by vaccination.

W
paulAlexander
August 11, 2009 07:32AM
Hi,

The last few days my cat has been acting very strange, She is about 10-11 years (we dont know exactly) and the last few days she doesnt really want to eat and she is usually constantly begging for food.

She is also just sitting on the stairs all the time away from people, she doesnt want to be touched and doesnt want to be around us.

She also seems (if possible) very depressed... Nothing unusual has happened that I can think of. There are no wounds or anything unusual like that, she just doesnt appear to be happy at all.

If she were ill would she be crying and mewing or generally silent (which is how she is).
August 11, 2009 07:45AM
Hi,

Your cat may be in the early stages of renal failure - very common in older cats.

She really needs to be check out by a vet, and have a blood test. If it is postive for renal failure quite a lot can be done at this stage.

w
Alco
August 26, 2009 08:33PM
Hi, My cat is about 16 years old and has been with me for two years. He has been going outside to do his business, but this last few weeks he has weed in his basket, weed on the kitchen floor and this evening weed in the hall by the front door on the carpet. (Thats 3 times over two weeks, and dose otherwise still go out for a short time.) He is neutered. He is also now more fussy than usual over food. The wee smells strongly sickly sweet. He also now walks with his head at a strange angle.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions you can give.
August 27, 2009 08:11AM
Hi,

I does sound as though your cat may well have either Diabetes or kidney failure. He will need blood tests to tell which, and to prescribe appropriate treatment.

W
laura1088
November 19, 2009 05:46PM
my kitten is nearly 6 month old and for past two days he hasnt eaten and been sick once each day. he is a ginger tom and very playful sometimes getting carried away with scratching and biting. he doesnt look like he is ill as he is still acting as normal but he has stoped attacking my arm. has ne1 got any suggestions?
November 19, 2009 05:50PM
Hi,

If he does not try to be sick, and starts to eat in a couple of days or so, I would not be too concerned, but if there is no change over the weekend, take him to you vet.

W
mrs savin
January 22, 2010 05:11PM
Hi my 5 month old female cat has sickness and diarrhoea and is sleeping all the time whats wrong with her? please help
January 22, 2010 06:41PM
Hi,

Probably s bowel infection. If she is not improving after the weekend take her to a vet.

w
kay
February 10, 2010 06:22AM
I have a sprayed four year indoor cat, and when I got up this morning I sort of notice she isnt feeling well, she doesnt eat or move. So i took her to the vet in the afternoon. The vet told me that she has a fever of 106, and given her an injection and some antibiotic to take home with. The doctor told me that he would take some blood from here but being a college student, I dont really have the extra money, so I took her home with the medication, and after a few hours, she ate and drink a little, she also use her litter box. But can someone tell me, what else I can do to make her feel better? She just lay there, and I did not want to bother her..I'll try to pat her and talk to her every 10 mins. Will that help? Please help..what should I do to ease her pain, and how would I know if she is feeling better, thanks.
February 10, 2010 09:32AM
Hi, Kay,

If she has a non-viral infection it will take the anitbiotics a little time to work, and lots of TLC will help her!

However, virus infections are much commoner - especially respiratory viruses - and they do not respond directly to antibiotics, though the AB's do help by controlling secondary bacterial infections which 'ride on the back' of the vius.

I do not think that a blood test could help very much- it may only identify the particular virus she has, but will do nothing in the way of helping her recover from it.

W
Jamie
March 09, 2010 03:23AM
My cat is 7 months old and I just noticed today that he isn't acting right. He is usually very hyper and playful but since I got home from work he has just been laying around, his nose is dry and eyes a little dilated but other then that I can't see anything that could be wrong. I've looked around to see if there was anything he could have gotten in to but haven't been able to find anything.

Thank You, Jamie
March 09, 2010 09:46AM
Hi,.

Sorry, Jamie, but there is not nearly enough information here for me to tell you what may be wrong with your cat.
Is he neutered, and when?, Is he vaccinated,? Does he go outside?, are there other cats he comes into contact wit?, does he have a raised temperature,?Is he eati9ng? and so on.
If he shows no improvement in 2 or three days I can only suggest that you take him to your vet.

W
Cliffy
April 28, 2010 02:10AM
Hello, could anyone help with advice about my 3yr old cat (moggy),
My house cat keeps biting her tail etc and she seems to be in pain when i stroke her down her back near the top of her tail, she has frontline on monthly and i checked she has no flee's etc.
I took her to the before xmas and vet but she didn't seem bothered can anyone help?
April 28, 2010 07:46AM
She may have impacted or infected anal glands - much less common in cats than in dogs,but it can occur.
If so, they need to be emptied by a vet who knows what they are doing.
marie71146
May 08, 2010 04:35PM
my cat is 3 years old and has gone off his food the last 4 days. he is normally very active but just wants to lie in the chair now. any ideas what it could be
May 09, 2010 08:23AM
If only making a diagnosis were so easy! There is not nearly enough information even to make a guess!!

If he is not improved over the weekend take him to a vet.
India
May 25, 2010 09:49PM
My cat has been sleeping a lot and also he is been a bit snappy and scratched and bit me (not a lot but more then he would normal) and not always just playing, is there something up with him i am not getting!!!?
May 26, 2010 07:08AM
Sorry, but I cannot make any suggestions from the very little information you haver given me - age,neutered etc.
kirsty89
May 28, 2010 08:57AM
Hiya
my cat is such amischeif maker he's called spudz and from the minute he was a kitten he got into trouble. he has feel from my bedroom window twice which is about 15ft high but always afterhe seemed okay carried on eating as normal was happy as ever, he recently got into a scrap and had 3 cuts on his back however these are healing well since we have prevented him from scratching them. All of a sudden he has a swollen bottom lip and two little lumps under his chin. He eats and cleans himself just as well and still miows like usual. any idea why this has happened to his chin? i heard it could b an allergic reaction but i have tried him on anti alergeies and this has not worked. any rough idea what culd be wrong with his mouth . . i am going to take him to the vets as well.
May 28, 2010 03:35PM
This could be a tumour, a 'Rodent Ulcer'
Your vet will be able to tell you.
Jasmin trim
June 05, 2010 07:54PM
my cat is feeling odd and off her food what is wrong with her?
June 06, 2010 09:00AM
She is feeling odd and off her food. That is all that I can tell you without a good deal more information: how old is she, is she neutered, is she a house cat or does she get out-of-doors. Are there other cats in the household. How long have you had her???That's just for starters.
sjp
March 24, 2011 07:31PM
my cat is urinating blood she's eating normally she doesn't seem to be in any pain I've felt her belly and she fine with me doing that should I be worried
March 28, 2011 07:03PM
This sounds like cystitis and can be uncomfortable. Cystitis usually results in the cat going to the litter tray to urinate very frequently, with small amounts of urine and may pass in a day or so without treatment but if not you should see your vet. If the cat is not going to the litter tray very often but is passing blood then this may be a bleeding problem or possibly a kidney infection, which is more serious and needs prompt attention. Sometimes cystitis is due to stones in the bladder and these may need to be removed if they are the cause. Sometimes the stones can be seen on an xray or ultrasound scan.
Nic
April 03, 2011 05:43PM
Hello,
My female indoor cat is approx 3 years old and was spayed two years ago (when I first got her) and there are no other cats in my household. I think she may have had cat flu whe she was a kitten, but her health history before my ownership is vague as I was asked to take her by a friend who couldn't look after her properly and didn't even know for sure how old she was.
For the last 2/3 days she has been quite lathargic, her nose is pale and dry and her gums look quite pale too. She has had a small amount of brown coloured discharge from both eyes, however she has always had eye problems so this is not unusual for her. She is eating, drinking and toileting as usual. She seems to be a bit unsteady on her feet after just getting up from sleep. Her ears have been feeling cold to touch as well.
Do you think she is a bit under the weather or should I take her to the vet?
Thank you,
Nic
April 04, 2011 08:12PM
The fact that your cat is pale, lethargic and unsteady on her legs could mean that she has anaemia or poor circulation such as heart disease. Regardless of anything else you should take her to the vet because there is the possibility that this might be serious. Make sure she gets looked at soon.
Miss D
April 21, 2011 08:58AM
My cat is 2 years of age and hasn't got much of an appetite and has not been moving much, when he does it looks slow and uncomfortable. He is sometimes shakey as if he's cold. This has been like this for 5 days now.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved