VetClick Discussion Forum

coumatetralyl in cats

Posted by benduffy 
coumatetralyl in cats
July 17, 2011 04:14AM
This morning i woke to find the that the rat bait in one of our cupboards has been eaten, and the cupboard was open. my 5 to 6 month old kitten has been running around the house all night.

i haven't checked this cupboard in a while, so the tablets could very well have been eaten by mice, but my cat likes cupboards, and either way id like to be safe about it.

The tablets contain coumatetralyl, at a concentration of 0.0357%

my cat is lying on my bed, underneath the blankets, which is nothing unusual, and he seems happy (he's purring)

doing some reading on the internet, my understanding is that coumatetralyl has to be present for more than 1 day to be highly toxic, but it doesn't specify whether thats humans, mice, rats, or animals in general

has anyone had any experience with this particular rat bait in animals? the "antidote" is said to be vitamin K, would it be wise to have him treated with this even if he HASN'T eaten the bait? or would that do more harm than good?

also, if he has eaten the bait, there is little information as to what symptoms i should look out for, can anyone help with this?

I gave him and another kitten half a can of food between them and he seemed eager to eat, and filled himself up, but i also don't know if that was a good idea

i thought i might be "diluting it"

i didn't want to induce vomiting in case he hasn't eaten the rat bait, because i thought that would be unnecessarily cruel

the only thing i have noticed is that we hasn't had any water, but he generally only goes for that when he's eating dry food

can anyone help?

regards, ben
Re: coumatetralyl in cats
July 17, 2011 05:12AM
This is a first generation coumarin like warfarin and so is reasonably short acting but could still be potentially fatal. I would treat every animal suspected of exposure regardless. Symptoms are usually of bleeding into a body cavity and may manifest as lethargy or acute collapse, but better to treat before these arrive.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved