VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet Students

Posted by Aoife 
Charlotte :)
Re: Vet Students
April 14, 2011 05:43PM
Hi there i am in year nine and i would like to know what options i have to pick to be a vet i undertsnad i would have to do all three sciences maths and english but i do not know what other subjects are necessary (required) to be a vet. Please help!!
April 16, 2011 07:39PM
Look at article 'I want to be a vet'
Charlotte
August 08, 2011 02:00PM
Hi!

I am 13 years old, almost 14, and really want to be a vet when I'm older. I have an idea on the subjects I will take and have quite alot of experience with animals etc.

I was just wondering if there is anywhere I could get more experience with animals at this age or do I have to be older? (There are a couple of vets and a pet shop locally)
Saskia
August 21, 2011 08:06AM
Hi Charlotte,
I am also 13 (in year 9) and I am determined to be a vet. At our age I think the most you can do it help out at local kennels or stables either cleaning out the cages or walking the dogs with an adult. I think you have to be older to do any work experience at a veterinary centre but still contact them and see if there's anything you can do.
Good luck,
Saskia
Leah
October 10, 2011 08:35PM
Hi im 13 and picking my options in school and was woundering what i should take
Holly x
October 16, 2011 06:12PM
Hi,
My names holly and im 13 (year 9). I have been reading this forum all evening and have gathered that I will be needing 5 A grades at GCSE in sciences, maths and english and all the others grades A-C. Also, at A levels I need AAB in biology, chemistry and physics/maths and as much varied work experience as I can. I was just wondering if GCSEs are easier than me and my friends think? Because I really want this and my older cousins say that they were easier than they think but they didn't take some of the subjects I will be. I hope someone can give me an idea of how hard I will need to revise in the future!!! grinning smiley
xxxx
13 year old who's confused!
January 12, 2013 08:47PM
Hi,

I am just looking round on the internet, seeing what sort GCSE's I need. You may be thinking why, at my age, but I have wanted to be a vet for as long as I can remember. I am confused because I don't have an idea what sort of subjects I need and grades too. I will be really happy if you could tell me what I need to know.

Many Thanks,

Summer
January 31, 2013 01:37PM
Hi Summer

I am not at all surprised that you are thinking about this now. I was 11yrs old when I decided I wanted to be a vet. Subject choice is very important. In short its mainly science subjects and high grades in them which are going to help you succeed. Here's a link to follow to get more information
[www.rcvs.org.uk]
Good Luck

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Elika
February 04, 2013 09:37PM
Hi I really want to be a vet I'm from the uk ,
I need to pick two options at my school and I'm in the top set for English maths and science and you have to do English, maths and science .So because of this I will do all 3 sciences but I don't know what,stuff for my options I will get to pick two options , every year from year 9 , so that makes 6 options . I was thinking I.C.T ? Because my mum said people need too use a lot of computers and machinery . I also thought Art ? Because of drawing stuff ? But I don't really know what stuff I need to pick ! But there is now vet or animal things for options , it's so annoying !!!!!!! So I don't know what to pick advice please .

Maybe Geography,History,P.E , Bussness studies ,Spanish , a language , whatever Cause there is loads ...
March 16, 2013 03:15PM
Hi Elika

Your Mum is right there is lots of usage of computers and complicated equipment in veterinary medicine. You do need the main science subjects for your eventual A level choices. I am not in a position to advise you about the rest of your particular subject options but if its of help I think you should consider picking your strongest subjects or those that interest you most. Good luck.

Georgia
June 05, 2013 07:52PM
Hi I am in year 10 and want to be a vet or a vet nurse, I was wondering what I need to get gcse wise
Here are my options:

Geography
History
Buisness studies
Art
Obviously I take science but not triple
I am In set one for English and do English lit which I already have a b in

My current grades or target grades

I have had a a* in buissnes studies mock exams giving a strong indication of my real grade later this year
Predicted c in maths As its not my best subject
B in my biology ISA
C in my phisycs ISA
still waiting to do my chemistry one
Predicted b in biology gcse and cs in only sciences
Predicted B in history could get A
Predicted b in geography
A in religious studies.

My dad is a farmer and I have grown up around animals all my life I've lamed many sheep and other important things
I also have 2 horses and know lots of things about them and recently had one put to sleep and delt with it really well considering I was the owner I am comfortable around animals at all times

My work experience is at a country park farm with many animals
Thanks georgia
June 15, 2013 11:16AM
Hi Georgia

It sounds like you've got a good grounding of animal experience there. Academically its much more challening to aim to be a vet than to get into veterinary nursing. For all the university vet colleges you will need high grades in science and/or maths A levels. For vet nursing the minimum is 5 grade C or above GCSE's but there are also Animal Diploma courses that you can take that lead onto vet nursing.

Take a look on www.rcvs.org.uk and also www.bvna.org.uk for more info

Good luck with your studies

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved