VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet Students

Posted by Aoife 
esmay
Re: Vet Students
August 25, 2007 09:09AM
hey
i an 13 yrs old and i really want to be a vet and i love animals but i dont know what to choose 4 my options

please help me

animal lover ,esmay
August 25, 2007 11:39AM
Hi, Esmay,

If you read my reply above to Libby, you will see what you need to do to get a place at a University to read veterinary medicine.
There are no short-cuts to being a vet.
An alternative is to study to become a veterinary nurse. You can get the details for that from www.rcvs.org.uk.

W
claire
August 26, 2007 01:44PM
Hi there,
I am very intrested in becoming a vet when I am older, I have just finished my GCSEs and got 7Cs 1B 1D. I am now going on to study A levels, which are Chemistry, Biology, Physics, AS in Maths. Howver I am concerned that my GCSEs may Not be high enough to reach the entry requirments for Unversity.
I am planning on doing some work experiance in the vets and with my friend who is a vet, in the hoping that this may serve me a better chance in getting into university.
I would be very greatful if you could get back to me and give your opion on my GCSEs and the road I should consider taking!

Many thanks
claire
August 26, 2007 03:52PM
Hi, Claire,

I am sorry to have to tell you that I think it is very unlikely that you would be offerred a place at a UK veterinary school on the strength of your O level results, even if you were to get straight As in the A levels that you are taking.
Working with a vet will certainly be a help, and if you find you are suited to this sort of work, you could consider doing the VN course and becoming a veterinary nurse.

W
Aly
September 01, 2007 03:11PM
Hi,

I have wanted to be a vet my whole life. I especially want to work with horses.
I have to choose my options but i don't know what to take. What would i have to take to become a vet? Also i work at my local stables at the weekend does this help?

Thank you
Aly
September 01, 2007 04:02PM
Hi, Aly,

if you live in the UK you need to go to one of the six universities which have veterinary schools- London, Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham, Liverpool, Glasgow or Edinburgh. The university course takes a minimum of 5 years full-time study.
To get into a veterinary school you will need at least 3 highers, Chemistry, Physics and Biology at good grades.
Fo more information go to www.rcvs.org .uk and to the different university web sites.
Working with animals - stables, kennels or on a farm will help you when you apply for a place.

W

W
Amy
September 04, 2007 01:39PM
hi,
i am 12 years old and was wondering what subjects (for my options) i would have to take to become a vet. i love animals and have been around them all my life.
and is it a good idea to do some work experience before qualifying to be a vet?

thank you please could you write back as soon as possible.

Amy
September 04, 2007 03:41PM
Hi, Amy,

If you look back at earlier correspondence on this site you will see my response to similar questions.
To get a reasonable chance of being offered a place at one of the six veterinary schools in the UK you need a good set of '0' levels at good grades, preferably science orientated, and A grades at A level in Chemistry Physics and Biology.
Work experience on a farm, stables and kennels will also stand you in very good stead when you apply for a university place.
You cannot become a vet without getting a degree in veterinary science which then enables you to register with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.

W
wally
September 05, 2007 05:16PM
Hi I am 13, in year 9 now and deciding my options. I am destined to be a Veterinary surgeon but I am confused and worried about the three sciences.

In my school for your GCSE options you have to take double science(science lessons with bio, chem, physics all in one except you have the lesson twice as much as normal). Only if you are in the top set for science in year nine you can take bio, chem, physics seperatly. Unfortunetly I am in the second top set in science out of eight sets.
So if I do double science for my GCSE might I still be able to get seperate grades for bio, chem, and physics (As/A*s) and maybe be offered a place in a university for veterinary?
Or will I probably just get grades in double science?
If i do end up getting grades in double science (A*-C/1-3) then could I still be offered a place in university?
Or does it just depend on schools or universities?

Please can you tell me about veterinary - what I should be doing now. e.t.c.?

Thank you very much - from Wally

P.S - I am sorry if this is all jibberish.
September 06, 2007 08:26AM
Hi, Wally,

I am afrid that for such specific information you (or your careers master) will need to ask the six indivdual university veterinary schools what they will accept.
To the best of my knowledge - and I may be out of date - you require Chemistry A level at A or A* grade, together with Physics and Biology at B or better even to be considered. A good range of subjects with good grades at O level are also required.
W.
Anna
September 09, 2007 04:30PM
It says on all the uni websites that they accept double science or triple, but im not sure with the new science system, because obviously this is the first year for that.
In order to be accepted in to uni you have to do work exeprience.
Liverpool aks for the most they want 4 weeks with 2 diff vet practices and 6 weeks animal husbandry eg farms kennels stables. But the more you can get the better.
GCSE subjects dont matter too much but a language or 2 is definitely a good idea. try to choose academic subjects, but i found that PE did include a lot of biology stuff, and Drama would help with public speaking etc. Just make sure you pick subjects you can get good grades in, you need 5As atleast!
make sure to do ltos of extra curricular stuff as well such as sports, debating etc. to show you are a well rounded person etc etc.

Try reading the book "getting into veterianry school" by Mariod de clemante for lots of advice. Its really v.v.v good
Alicia
October 13, 2007 04:31PM
Hi,
I am in year 9 and i long to be a vet when im older!!!
Just after christmas i need to take my options and i have no clue of what subjects to take, could you please help me, just to give me a few ideas on what i need to do.
Also, What grades do i need to get from my GCSE's to become a vet.
I live on a farm and i own lots of animals and i really do love them,
please help!!!!

Thankyou very much,
Alicia xxxxxxxx
October 14, 2007 07:40AM
Hi, Alcia,

If you look ay earlier replies you will see the answer to your question.
Whilst eavh university veterinar school has its own entry requirements, you do, broadly, need a goo range of subjects at O level, with good grades, and Chemistry Physics and Biology at A grade ( or Higher, if you live in Scotland)

W
November 16, 2007 09:02AM
Hi,Hannah,
With a CV like yours I would not expect you to have any problem getting a place in a University vet school.
One question - why leave Glasgow off your list ( I was there a long time ago, so maybe I am prejudiced in its favour!). However, if you do not live in Scotland your chances of getting into Glasgow or Edinburgh may be reduced. I would not discount Liverpool, either, it is excellent.
I do not think you should go for a gap year before applying. The work experience you already have, and another year or two years to get more, that should be quite enough.
Very few, if any, students get an opportunity to work in an abbatoir.
A couple of weeks on a sheep farm at lambing time would be a useful addition.
I do not think that missing out on a dairy farm will be too great a handicap.

Good luck!

W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2007 09:25AM by Walter Beswick.
Maddy
November 23, 2007 01:43PM
I AM PLANNNING TO WRITE MRCVS IN 2008 AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ALREADY PASSED THIS EXAM RECENTLY
Sarah S.
December 16, 2007 08:03PM
Hi Alicia!
I'm in Year 10 and I chose my GCSE options last year.
At my school you can do double or triple award science - I went for triple award as I thought this would be best for vet science. So, if I were you, I'd try to do the 3 sciences for GCSE.
As for the other options, it doesn't really matter, as long as you choose what you enjoy - I ended up going for Latin, History and Geography. I'd try to pick a wide range of subjects, as this will keep your options open, especially if you decide you don't want to be a vet anymore (although I'm sure this is unlikely!!)
Also, speak to students higher up the school about GCSE options, as they will be really helpful. Does your school have a careers adviser? I talked to mine and she gave me some good advice. smiling smiley
Grades: Ideally, you need to be getting as high as possible, so A's and A*s. As there are SO many applicants for vet school it is really competitive, so a good set of grades will help you out! As long as you work hard for them, you'll get your grades.
Finally, I'd start applying for work experience now - it really is never to early to start!! As you live on a farm you already have a head start, but you should spend a few weeks this summer in a vet surgery or kennels. I did, and it was really rewarding.
Hope this helps & good luck!!
Sarah xxxx
Tom
Hi
January 05, 2008 12:15AM
Hi,
I'm 14 years old and I am very interested in becoming a vet. I've got to take my GCSE options in a few weeks time and I was wondering which options might be best to take.

Please reply soon!
Tom
January 05, 2008 09:22AM
Hi, Tom,

If you go back and read Anna's letter dated 9 September 2007 and Sarah's dated 16 December 2007 you will find the answers you are looking for.

W
Krinkz
January 10, 2008 06:49PM
Hi im in year 9 and im wondering what options i need to take to become a vet, i know that i need to take sciences and a language would be useful but we also have to choose two other topics out of:
Drama,
PE,
Art,
Business
Child Development,
Geography,
German
Information Technology,
Manufacturing,
Music,
Re,
+ 3 extra Science's physics, chemistry and biology,

i also have to choose from one of the three
Geography,
History or
Vocational GCSE in lesure and tourism
what out of all these choices would you recomend for me to choose
please reply thank you
January 10, 2008 08:13PM
Hi, Krinkz,

If you look back at soem of the earlier psts you will find a lot of info about the subects you need.

If you can do so,, chemistry physics and biology, plus English and a foreign language, Geography and information technology wouls all be useful.

W
beth
January 12, 2008 08:35PM
hi im in my last year of comprehensive school and im chooseing my a levels and i was wondering which A levels i am best to take as i wish to be a vet or vet nurse?

thank you for reading!!
January 13, 2008 09:08AM
Hi, Beth,

If you look at earlier posts on this site you will find all the information which you need.

W
Natasha
January 15, 2008 04:19PM
hey,
i was just surfing through the net trying to find out which subjects i should be choosing for my year 9 options. i am seriously stuck, and i need someone to give me advice on which subjects i should take. please reply back a.s.a.p. thanks.

Natasha
January 15, 2008 08:10PM
Hi, Natasha,

It does depend upon which country you live, the the thing to do is to check up on the university web site for their entance requirements.

W
Amy
January 20, 2008 11:02PM
Hi
I am just writing to ask about what GCSEs I need to get to become a vet and study at university. I have always loved animals and the environment, and have dreamed about becoming a vet all my life( although I am only in year 11). At the moment I am taking my GCSEs, and want to know what I need to aim for, I am also taking triple science. In the future I am hoping to take biology, chemistry, and two other unknown subjects at A level. I would like to know what GCSE grades I need to get in my triple award science ( separate biology, chemistry, and physics ), English , and maths, and what futher steps i should take. Thanks a lot .

From Amy
January 21, 2008 08:38AM
Hi, Amy,

If you look at past postings on this site, partcularly from Anna and Sarah, the information there is more up-to-date than any advice I can give.
Good luck!

W
Beth
January 21, 2008 08:12PM
Hi
I'm about to take my options and I've wanted to be a vet since I was little. I was wondering what GCSE's I need to take and anything that could help me
Thanx
Beth
x
January 21, 2008 08:40PM
Hi, Beth,

Just go back and read some of the earlier posts. You will get all the information you need.

W
Sarah S.
January 25, 2008 09:34PM
Hi Beth,
In reply to your post, quite a few of us have left some earlier comments about what subjects to pick smiling smiley Have a read of those & if you want more advice just leave a comment on here and I'll get back to you!
Two tips that I found so useful: talk to students higher up the school to find out what subjects they picked & what they thought of them; talk to your teachers (year head, form teacher, science teachers....)
Sarah xxxx
Beth
January 31, 2008 09:34PM
Thanks for all your help. Just tell me if these options sound ok.
We have to take like PE ,RE and other stuff.
I'm doing three seperate Sciences.
For the ones I'm choosing I thought Geography, History and German.
Apparently German is useful for getting jobs and I enjoy all of these subjects.
X
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved