VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet Students

Posted by Aoife 
Emma
Scottish Highers
October 20, 2008 05:03PM
Hi,
Im a scottish student in S4 and the subjects i'm studying just now are-
Biology,Chemistry, Maths, Geography, English, Music, Drama and PE.
When it comes to choosing my 5 highers i was planning on taking-
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English
Drama
I was wondering if you thought Drama was a wise choice because the main reason i was going to take it is because its my strongest subject.
Re: Scottish Highers
October 20, 2008 07:11PM
Hi, Aoife,

You should really ask for advice from the Admissions Secretary at both Glasgow and Edinburgh vet schools - they are in the best position to advise you, though to me your selections sound OK.

W
Emma
Re: Scottish Highers
October 21, 2008 02:13PM
Thanks, I'll do that!
shauna
Re: Vet Students
November 21, 2008 12:29PM
you would need to take physics, biology, chemistry and maths, you would also need a very high expextancy level from you yr11 tests, high a's and b's,,,,,, you would also need to get 3 a levels to become a vet, i am 14 and i want to become a vet aswell,, i have done some research and found out all this information for myself, just look on the internet and you will find something
hayley
January 13, 2009 05:40PM
hi my names hayley Stephenson

I am 13 years of age and I am wanting to
be a vet when I am older because I love working and helping
with animals. I am just wondering but do you know what options I
need to take and what grades I need to get to get into Liverpool?
January 14, 2009 08:04AM
Hi, Hayley,

Your careers master/mistress at school should be able to give you more up-to-date advice than I can, but a good science based - chemistry, physics and biology - range of subjects at O and A levels is essential.

W
Isabella
January 31, 2009 11:25AM
Dude, I am highly educated, I studied at Cambrige and I am a quilfied vet. There is not a lot else you can do to help. I wish I owned my on stables with 4 horses! (Im so jealous!) owning horses and caring for them is enough work experience don't you think? the best thing you can do is read books. soak up all the info and they will help you a lot!!! i wish you all the best with your future carrer and hope to hear from you soon as a quilified veterinary nurse!!
lots of love,
Isabella
xx

P.S/ I wrote this reply in a hurry so exuse the gramtical error(s)!!!
Becky
February 10, 2009 04:54PM
Hey this is becky i am 14 yrs old and i live in cornwall i am choosing my options. I would like to know what grades you need to get to become a vet or somethink to do with animals because i dont really want to do operations i would like to check them over if you get what i mean and like say whether they need medicans or somthink. and i have a book from school and it says tha you only need to get four GCSEs at grade c or above but i was reading the messages from other peeps and it says that you need five GCSEs at grade A so im a bitt confused?

And i was wondering if i should take triple science and history and i was wondering about pe but i can only take 2 of them because i am taking study plus so that i will defo get a grade c in english and maths. I was just wondering if you could help me with any of that thanks Becky x
February 10, 2009 09:50PM
Hi, Becky,

I don't think you will have a ghost of a chance of getting in a university veterinary school if you think that 4GCSEs at C will get you in. I think that you would find it difficult to do veterinary nursing with that, much less veterinary medicine and surgery.
If you do not want to do operations, forget about the whole thing and do soemthing else. Both vets and veterinary nurses have to eb involved in surgery one way or another.
W
PS I think English might be a good idea!
Rachel.CWS
March 17, 2009 05:58PM
Hi i am 15 yrs old and am taking all my GCSE's this summer. I have my heart set on becoming a vet, i have got my final biology and chemistry results back and will receive an A in both. I am considering retaking to gain an A*, however do you think it is neccessary.

Thanks alot, would be grateful if you could get back to me as soon as possible, Rachael
March 17, 2009 07:00PM
Hi,

I assume that you are talking about O levels and not A levels?

I would have thought that A grades would be enough fro you to go on to A levels, but I am sure that there are others more qualified than I who can give you advice.

W
ruth
March 24, 2009 08:02PM
hey, ive just chosen my optiions for gcse and didnt choose a language because its not something i enjoy and i either want to be a vet or do something in psychology. recently though, a teacher explained that i had been recommended to take a language because im in the top sets but i dont want to unless i REALLY have to and there is no other way. so would i need a GCSE in a modern foreign language or not? im hoping to go to edinburgh but either way
please reply soon
thanks
Molly
March 24, 2009 09:34PM
Help! I really want to be a vet, but I'm not too great at Maths. I like science mostly, but we don't really do much biology, and if we do it's always leaves or human digestive systems or something. For my GCSEs there are no options that are science-orientated, but because I'm in top-set we have to take double science. Do I have to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at A level? I'm not sure whether I could do all of those. Is there any other jobs I could do that work with animals if I'm not qualified to be a vet? I know there should be plenty, but I don't really know what they are...

Thanks xD
Molly
Carleeey
March 26, 2009 09:47PM
Heey Im 12 Years Old And I Am In Year 8, I Am Taking My Options Soon And I Want To Be A Vet. I Am in Set 3 Which Is Out Of 4 Sets. I Am Good At Science And Biolgy But I Am Not Too Good A Maths. So Thats why i Am In Set 3. I Am Worried Since I Am in Set 3 That I Will not get the High Grade I want. People Are Saying If Your In My Set you Only Get A Grade C In All Lessons No Matter If You Get them All Right. And i Dont No If This Is right I Am trying To Move Up But My Maths Is Holding Me back So Much. So i Am Really Worried Maths Wont Let Me Be A Vet, What Should i Do !
March 27, 2009 10:42AM
Hi,

You must talk to your school Careers Teacher. You may find Physics easier than Maths if you can combine it with Chemistry and Biology.

W
Keleigh
need help
March 31, 2009 07:06PM
hi

i am 13 years old and since i was like5 ive wanted to be a vet and i need some advice on how it works and what payment you get in the UK and what qualfications you need to be a vet and when i do the exams i dont think i will pass because im rubbish at mathes so if you help me i will bw happy because at school were doing this coursework this on what you have to be when your older and i want to be a vet so somone please help me i only a little
Charlie
April 26, 2009 03:56PM
Hello, I need some help as to what to do for my GCSE options to be a vet surgeon/nurse. I know that I need to take English, Maths, Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physic's) but I don't know what else I need to take. ICT? Business? I need to know by the 8th May 2009, so please could you try to help. From Charlie.
trish
June 17, 2009 02:51AM
Hi,

I am currently applying to vet school however I live in the us, but I have looked at the websites for Scotland and the us. in the us you have to go through 8 years of school the first 4 as an undergraduate biology major and then apply to veterinary school which is another four years and receive a doctorate in veterinary medicine. however in scotland i think you apply as an undergraduate and its only 5 years.
here is the link to the admissions page for 2 vet schools in scotland

[www.gla.ac.uk]

[www.vet.ed.ac.uk]
Renee
Vet Students
August 06, 2009 05:14AM
Hello, i am sorry to be a bother, but i am a year 10 School student and am interested in becoming a veterinarian or a veterinary nurse.

I don't know if this has been answered but i live in Australia,

could any of you Veterinary Students help me choose subjects for next year??
i am terribly sorry if this has been asked before, but i do not understand the terms that have been used previously.

Many-thanks
~ Renee

(please e-mail me if possible)
August 08, 2009 07:59AM
Hi,

I do not know what the requirements are in Australia, and you will nned to make enquiries there unless someone reading this can help.

W
myra x
August 27, 2009 04:07PM
i am 13 years old iand ive wanted to be a vet all my life but i have a problem!
i heared you need 5 gcse's a-c in maths ,science and english but the thing is english is one of my weakest subjects and i dont know what to do ,could i still be a vet ?

also i am going into year 9 this year and have to choose my options .I know i've got to pick maths,english and science but what else is there to do that relates to being a vet?
Lucy
August 28, 2009 03:18PM
hello, I am in year 9 and I am having thoughts on what I want to be when I leave school, and I was thinking about becoming a vet as I like animals allot. we have our choices in year 9 and I don't know what to choose, obviously science, but I don't understand what I would need to take in science, and if all the topics in science would use up all my choices and then I am screwed if I don't want to be a vet any more when I leave school. if you understand? I just want to know what I can take in science.. or if I take triple or double science, biology, physics & chemistry is all part off the triple?
thanks,
Lucy smiling smiley
Mairead
August 30, 2009 04:37PM
Hi there!
I am 17 years old and from Ireland. I have just recently received my GCSE results and got 6A*s and 4A's. I have great ambitions of going to university to study veterinary medicine after completing my a-levels.The only problems is that I am torn on what subjects to chose. I am definately choosing chemistry, biology and maths and I want to study a fourth but am unsure between physics and art. I am aware that art would be of no use to an aspiring vet and is a very time consuming a-level but I thought it would be good to choose a non-science, practical subject to show the universities that I am a rounded character, as well as the fact that I love art!! However my teachers told me that I got my best score in the physics exam! I am completely torn!! They also suggested that I keep on 5 a-levels. What I would like to ask is would the extra stress be worth it and do the subject I love or should I just do the three sciences and maths?
August 30, 2009 09:07PM
Hi,

I beleive that chemistry biology and physics is the best selection, and a foreign language as your fourth subject would be ideal, but others may have a different view.

w
Haley Mument
January 11, 2010 07:13PM
Hello.

I am 13 years old, and have always dreamed of being a vet. I have a cat at home, and absolutely ADORE animals! I was wondering what GCSE subjects I should take. I am already doing French, English, IT, and the 3 sciences. I am thinking of also taking Geography and Economics, but I don't know if that would be the right choice. Could you please tell me what other subjects I should take, or if I should drop the ones I already have? PLEASE!?!

Thank you very much!!!

-Haley Mument
Phoebeey
Re: Vet Students, help needed
January 18, 2010 04:17PM
Hi please may you help me with my year 9 opitions there in may so please reply soon i am hoping to be a vet or a verterinary nurse i love any animals i live in the uk and i watch nearly all of the animal documentaries also at school me and my friends always do a sponsered silence or somethink we get money for all of the money goes to animal charitys like "RSPCA"&"BLUECROS" for example please please help me these are the one i think i need (english a language science ) but not sure what else

I'm 13 yrs of age and got a passion for helping animals

I love animals

From phoebeey
keleigh
January 18, 2010 05:11PM
hey
i am picking my gcses now
i am just wondering can i still be a vet if i do double sciences which is core and additional which gets me 2 gcses or do i have to do triple
riaz ali
January 22, 2010 12:59PM
im n search of anatomy book.would u help me for the best one
Sofia Alves
February 12, 2010 06:21PM
Hi! My name is Sofia, I'm from Oporto, Portugal and I have 17 years old. I want to be a vet when I "grow up" xD
I would talk with some people who are vet or wants so be a vet like me and, in preference, are english or works in England.
So, please contact me...
S
April 03, 2011 04:02PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I really want to become a vet but i want to take health and social care GCSE, is that a good option or not? Please reply.
Thanks.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved