VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet Students

Posted by Aoife 
Vet Students
January 21, 2004 02:18PM
I'm a 3rd year vet student in Vienna, Austria. If there are any other vet students out there who would like to get in contact and have a bit of a chat, I'd be glad to hear from you!!

Re: Vet Students
March 07, 2004 05:07PM
hi,
i am sorry to bother you! but i gathered as you are a vet student you could help me!

i am a 13 yrs old, who luvz animals. and are hoping to become a vet nurse, and i was wondering if you could help me wit my options!
and also wat could help me to my sucess! eg. work experience etc!

i have to pick (the options) by 19th march 2004!

so if you cold reply very soon i would be very grateful!

thankyou

patchy!

i love animals!
May 02, 2004 11:18AM
Hi I think I may be a bit late in replying to your message, but to become a veterinary nurse there are a few options open to you. Some people I know have finished at GCSE level at school and gone on to do NVQs and training to become a veterinary nurse at a local college or such like. Other friends of mine have gone on to A level and then gone to university to try and get a degree in Veterinary Nursing (& Practice Management). Bristol university, the Royal Veterinary College with Middlesex uni and some other unis that you can find through the course search at www.ucas.ac.uk . If you email the admissions departments in each case, they will be able to tell you what they are looking for. Ive recently applied to the UK vet schools (for Veterinary Medicine to become a Veterinary Surgeon) and have four offers. I believe that my success was due to the amount of work experience I had done and how I was able to talk about each of my placements at interview. Try and get some regular work in a veterinary practice e.g. sat mornings, and try and get to some stables/kennels/farms etc for a day or two at each. This will show that you are determined that this is the career for you.
Should you require any more information I would try and contact the rcvs.org.uk (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons) as I believe they have a leaflet outlining processes to becoming a veterinary nurse.
Hope that this helps smiling smiley
April 20, 2005 01:27PM
Hi! I'm a second year vet student. How are you? Anything in particular that you want to chat about? How's your course going?
June 03, 2005 02:15AM
hi there

I know i saw this add too late, I am a second year veterinary student in ATlantic veterinary college and I am looking forward to talk to people from Europe, I am hoping I could practice there for a while too after I finish,

take care and hope tohear from you soon

Regards
Amer
June 25, 2005 02:18PM
Hello,I am veterinarian from India.I would like to know about veterinary education in Astria.I am ready to disscuss with you about veterinary field
August 15, 2005 09:53AM
hi patchy!

i'm a vet nurse student and i'm glad to help!!!

To start with you need at least 4 gcse's at c grade, so science (particularly biology), english, maths etc.
As long as you have those you should be able to do A levels or a national diploma in animal management!
Also, when you are 16 you can start work at a vets as an Animal nursing assistant, and then start the NVQ'S at college while you are working there!
If you decide to take A levels then the best option i think is to do a degree afterwards, this is a four year course involving science and veterinary nursing.
That way if you decide you don't want to be a just a nurse you have other options!!!
But as you are 13 you have a long time before that and you will find you will constantly change your mind!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps,
lois! x
Ana
January 30, 2006 11:57PM
Hi Aoife, how are you?
I´m a vet student from southern Brazil, who would like to hear about the experiences from other vet students.

Hope to hear from you soom

Ana
althir
June 13, 2006 03:35PM
hi there
I am third year vet student from Poland,

I would like to discuss about veterinary in other countries
I want to move to some other country after my studies so maybe could you tell my what are conditions in other places. Are there any exams that I should pass before trying to find a job,thanks for any advice
Verity
June 14, 2006 08:32AM
I want to no how you get on a course to become a vet. I am intrested in what gcse grades i need when i leave school to become a vet.
How long to you train to become a vet as this may be a problem for me. Thankyou for your time please write back to me with my information i have requested.

Yours faithfully
VERITY GOODHEAD. Age 14.
Charlotte
September 03, 2006 04:37PM
Hello Verity!!
I also dream of becoming a vet. Im going into sixth form in a week and have just got my GCSE grades.
I have attended a summer school at the royal veterinary college, london and work at my local vets every sat morning. I have also worked in a boarding kennels.
Work experience is the key with veterinary medicine. Get as much and as varied work as possible.
The veterinary medicine course is 5 yrs long except at cambridge where it is 6 yrs. There are 7 universitys offering the course-London, Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow and the newest opening this year at Nottingham.
On average the university requirements are 5A grades at GCSE in sciences, maths and english and all other grades A-C.
For A level they require AAB in biology, chemistry and physics or maths although london and nottingham allow the 3rd A level in any subject except general studies. Youll find out more about this later.
Hope this helps. Work hard, GCSEs are easy if you just put the work in. Good luck
Charlotte
XxX
p.s. find more info at www.rvc.ac.uk (this is the london vet school)
rachel 12345
September 08, 2006 02:50PM
I want to know what GCSE's you need in year 11?

What options do you need to take in year nine?

Thanks can you reply A.S.A.P cheers

From Rachel
September 08, 2006 03:49PM
Hi, Rachel,
The different universities with veterinary schools will have different requirments, but I beleive that you need a minimum of 5 A levels, with 3 at A or A* .
The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons web site at www.rcvs.org.uk may have more information.
W
Gabriel
September 09, 2006 05:41AM
Hi!

I'm an incoming first year vet student at the Royal veterinary College and would be mroe than glad to chat :-)

You may be interested in checking out a website I've recently created (spent my whole summer working on it...) for vet students, students in related courses, and animal activists. Please check it out - www.VetStudies.com

Cheers!
Charlotte
September 12, 2006 04:22PM
Great website. I did a summer school at the royal veterinary college this summer(yr 11).
No, I cant believe Steves dead either, im just shocked and so so sad. We'll never forget him.
Im really interested in your ideas about peta and other animal issues. I know obviously that to get into veterinary school you have to believe that testing on animals is needed. Whats your opinion on animal testing, dissecting, farming etc. I saw all sorts of animals dissected on my trip to both of the RVC campuses and we were told and reassured that they would never ever kill to then just cut up which is great.
We were helped out by some now 2nd year students who had worked in a chicken abbatoir and were going to work in a beef abbatoir. Have you done this yet?
...and finally, how long does it take to get used to the smell of dead dogs???I was really interested in the beagle being dissected at the camden campus but was obv. standing in the wrong place as i kept getting large whiffs of a not ver pleasant smelltongue sticking out smiley!!!
One last question, I worry about everything and at the moment Im worrying about getting into veterinary school, even though Ive only just started 6th form. I got 5A* 3A 1B and 1C but everyone I know who wants to become a vet got better. Im now doing Bio, chem, physics and art for A level.
Finally--do you know anywhere or anything I could do to help conserve wildlife???I really want to get involved. I leafletted before and donate money and I really feel like I want to make a difference. I want to work as a wildlife vet at some point and know work exp. work exp. work exp. is always advised.

sorry this is sooooo long,...im so interested in all of this, i love it
xx
-"Crocs Rule"
Charlotte B
December 06, 2006 04:58PM
Is anyone reading this going to the Vetmed link conference or has been before??
denni
plz help !!
February 10, 2007 08:57PM
i want to become a vet nurse but im really stuck on what to do and choice.
im in year 11 now and about to go to college.......what sort of courses can i chooose? and what do i do afterwards ? do i go to college or not? im really confused ! if anyone has gone through this before can you help me please, thanks for your help grinning smiley
Katie B
February 22, 2007 08:17AM
Hi,

CAN ANYONE HELP PLZ?????????

im in year 9 at st.leonards mayfield. Ive longed to be a vet all my life and am now choosing m GCSE options. I know you have 2 do all 3 sciences, Maths, english etc.But what optional GCSE's should I take?????
Is there anything that will help me become a vet??????

lastly, has anyone got any more suggestions 4 work experience????
i already own stables and have 4 horses of my own which I look after. What other things can I do for work experience????????

Tanks very very much 4 any help or suggestions. Also if anyone wants to chat about them plz talk 2 me.

love katie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
February 22, 2007 08:34AM
Hi, Katie,

Writing intelligible English would be a good place to start!

Since UK veterinary graduates are now able to work in all EU countries, one or more European langagues would be useful. (though with your problems with English you may find that difficult!).

You could ask the veterinary practice which attends your horses if you could spend a few days with one of their vets to see what veterinary practice is really all about. Helping in a kennels such as Raystede near Lewes would also be useful experience, as would working on a farm in one of your school holidays.

Good Luck!

W
katie
February 22, 2007 09:18AM
Dear Mr.Walter Beswick,

Please pardon my atrocious english. cough cough. you did make me laugh though. Have you ever texted before? but anyway thank-you very much for your advice, it really helped. Thank-you. Write back,

katie xxxx
February 22, 2007 10:10AM
Hi, Katie,

If you look back at the home page on this site, you will see that there are more than 2,600 postiings, and yours was the first ever to have such garbage, which I believe you mean when you say 'texted'!
It may be all right to communicate with your pals like this, but if you wish to have a serious response from people who may be able to help and advise I suggest to you that you use English correctly. I know that it is a disappearing art form, but those of us who have benefited from a decent education - like you and I - should do our best to prserve and use it!

W
Cagatay Sen
February 26, 2007 09:31PM
hi (:
I'm from Turkey..
I educate second year in Ýstanbul University..

you can learn everything for our congress which prepared by our unýversýty..
[www.vetstudentscongress.com]
nickson
March 12, 2007 03:54PM
HI
I'm a graduating student of veterinary medicine in the phi,care to chat and exchange our experinece in veterinary field
???
March 15, 2007 10:21PM
lois2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hi patchy!
>
> i'm a vet nurse student and i'm glad to help!!!
>
> To start with you need at least 4 gcse's at c
> grade, so science (particularly biology), english,
> maths etc.
> As long as you have those you should be able to do
> A levels or a national diploma in animal
> management!
> Also, when you are 16 you can start work at a vets
> as an Animal nursing assistant, and then start the
> NVQ'S at college while you are working there!
> If you decide to take A levels then the best
> option i think is to do a degree afterwards, this
> is a four year course involving science and
> veterinary nursing.
> That way if you decide you don't want to be a just
> a nurse you have other options!!!
> But as you are 13 you have a long time before that
> and you will find you will constantly change your
> mind!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Hope that helps,
> lois! xWhat would be the best options to take in school for vet assistant? help me 2nyt quick
SONIC
April 12, 2007 05:04PM
hi

i am a year12 studnet in england, and i want to ask some questions about vet,is it better to study vet in australia or england??which university is better in australia to study vet?or it is not that important to choose the better school?

i am really lose about choosing which university, hope u can help me
April 12, 2007 08:39PM
Hi, Sonic,

I think that all the veterinary schools in the UK and in Australia are very good. The question is, are you good enough to be accepted by any of them?
The entry requirments are very high indeed, and only the best qualified applicants are accepted.

W
Jess
April 28, 2007 08:44PM
HI
i am 14 years old and i have to chose my GCSE options,and in my school you do your sciences,maths and english but you also have to chose 3 of your own choices like Drama,PE,ART,Spanish,goegraphy and others like that. but i dont no which ones to take i was going to chose P.E because it would help me with biology to become a vet but i don't really no!!and also if i worked in a vets or kennels in the holidays would that help me get into a vetinary university in the future.
Jess.
Flaviu Tabaran
July 09, 2007 02:27AM
Hallo
I`m veterinary student in the VI-th year at the University of Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture science from Cluj Napoca, Romania, and y would like to chat and change somme information....y was also student in France a litle bit time ..so .....keep in touch smiling smiley
libby
July 25, 2007 08:25PM
i am 13 and want soo much 2 become a vet but i want to know what gcses i need and if there are any in particular i need 2 take. i have been researching and it has onky said 5 gcse's c or above in english,maths and i science subject is this right?
July 26, 2007 08:44AM
Hi, Libby,

The first thing you must do is to stop using texting English when asking for advice from old fogies like me! It creates a very poor impression.

Generally speaking, if you get CSEs at a good grade in English, Maths, a foreign language, and as many of Chemistry, Biology and Physics as your school timetable will allow you will be off to a good start but what University veterinary school entrance requirements will be in 4 or 5 years' time when you will be applying is anyone's guess

Good luck!

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved