VetClick Discussion Forum

breeding my cats

Posted by tinka 
breeding my cats
June 08, 2005 07:56PM
Hi iam trying to breed my two cats at the moment but i seem to be having problems the female is in season and rolling around the floor flirting the male is mounting her and trying to mate but he doesnt seem to be able to get it quite right she keeps on rolling onto her side which doesnt really help this is the fourth day of her season and iam worried that iam running out of time they are bothlovely pedigree cats and i have alot of people who would love to have one of there kittens but i dont think theres much chance of that at the moment i just need to know if there is anything that i can do to help them and once he has found the right place do they stay inlocked for long any advice would be gratefully recieved thankyou

Post Edited (06-12-05 20:23)
Re: breeding my cats
June 09, 2005 08:11AM
Hi, Tinka,
Just let nature take its course?
If they are both being bred for the first time they may have a few problems in getting things right.
If you have never bred cats before, you must realise that it seems to be quite a painful business, owing to peculiarities of the male anatomy, and a few screams and yowls are to be expected. That is an essential part of the process, and actually stimulates the female to ovulate.
Remember also that if it fails this time, there will be another opportuity in about three weeks!
Walter
Walter
June 09, 2005 02:41PM
Thankyou walter for your imformtion it has been a great help sorry to be a pain but could you tell me if this is normal my female cat is 13months old and this is her third season she only seems to come into season every two to three months i thought it might be due to the weather being winter like also hopefully now that we have the male cat living with us it will bring her back into season on a more regular basis i dont know what do you think? just one more question is it alright to let the two cats spend alot of time together when she is not in season or will this cause them to become to friendly with each other and then they might not mate the boy cat lives mostly in our conservatory and he has access to an outside encloser the two cats seem to be very happy together and so it seems a shame not to let them spend time together thankyou for your help and any further advice would be gratefully received thanks again from tinka
June 10, 2005 07:34AM
Hi, Tinka,
Female cats are 'seasonally polyoestric') - they come into season at shorter inetrvals in the breeding season - spring and early summer, many cycling every 3 weeks at this atime of the year.
I would be all for encouraging them to spend time togther - I am sure that it will not 'put him off'!
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved