VetClick Discussion Forum

corneal ulcers

Posted by pru 
pru
corneal ulcers
June 05, 2005 10:26PM
my old dog had what we believed to be hayfever,runny eyes , he gets it every year. we treated as we always do but it did not get better. the vet said he had an ulcer on his eye[our guess is it is where he rubbs it on the carpet when itchy]she gave him antibiotic cream and after 3 day it seems to be no better we have another apointment on thursday does anyone kown what sort of treatment we can expect next or indeed if there is something we can be doing in the meantime as we hope to take him on his holidays soon. [he has diabetic cataracts if that makes any diffference]
Re: corneal ulcers
June 06, 2005 07:20AM
Hi, Pru,
In many cases simple antibiotic treatment does help corneal ulcers to heal.
You don't mention the breed - some dogs with protuberant eyes (e.g. pekingese) are very prone to corneal damage.
Under no circumstances should any treatment not prescribed by your vet be used - steroid eye ointment or drops can prove catastrophic and can result in the eyeball rupturing.
If it is not responding to the antibiotic drops, your vet may advise a minor operation, stictching a flap of conjunctiva over the ulcer and maybe suturing the eyelids together for a few days. This usually works quite well.
Walter
pru
June 06, 2005 06:10PM
thanks walter, i do hope that it does not come to that as i feel my poor old boy, who is 14,diabetic and having acupuncture[sucessfully]for his arthritis , is to old for surgery so fingers crossed
June 07, 2005 07:40AM
Hi, Pru,
The sort of surgery I propose is not complicated nor drastic, and would give him a great deal of relief.
Walter
pru
June 10, 2005 09:39PM
good news, my boys eye has shown dramatic improvement, with only a tiny bit of staining after the last dye test. we are going to continue with the fucithalmic for another week to clear up the last trace of the ulcer. thanks for your help
pru
June 11, 2005 07:46AM
Hi, Pru,
Sounds good.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved