VetClick Discussion Forum

Pup with a disgusting habit!

Posted by momtoabrood 
Pup with a disgusting habit!
May 31, 2005 05:27PM
I know that some dogs do it but, our 14 week old pup eats her own poop. Is there a reason why she would do this as she is fed as advised by our vet and is growing on target. I am just bemused why she would do this, and is there a way to stop it as we have children, I don't really fancy them receiving poopy kisses.

Many thanks
Cherry
Re: Pup with a disgusting habit!
May 31, 2005 07:15PM
Hi, Cherry,
Your pup does not think it is a disgusting habit!
To get her out of it, you must always get there first. Use a poop-scoop to clean up after she performs, wherever and whenever. Take her out after every meal, keep her out until she performs, and scoop it up immediately. Do not punish her for doing it - she may think that you are punishing her for pooping, and she will try to remove the evidence.
Walter
kim
June 01, 2005 11:16AM
Hi Walter,

I'm glad that someone else has been having the same problems as I have with my 4 month old Staffie, Blue. He's exercise regime is very good and on average he is exercised 4-6 times daily, the toliet training is going really well as well, but the eating he's own poo seems to happen at night,(although he does not poo regularly during the night)or, if he is left on his own, which is very rare.

I wondered if it may mean that he is lacking in something. I feed him on the puppy lamb and rice by Nutro, at this point I'd like to point out that he is a picture of health and is gaining weight as he should. The vet I take (Blue) to see commented on how healthy he was.

So do I have anything to worry about?
June 01, 2005 12:42PM
Hi, Kim,
Have you ever chastised Blue in the morning , even by your tone of voice, when you have found poo where he sleeps? If he realises that you do not relish poo about the place, maybe he is trying to remove the evidence and avoid a telling off!
When you do find that he has pood, just remove it as discreetly as possible, without comment or signs of annoyance - even better, when he is not there.
Walter
June 02, 2005 10:28AM
Thanks Walter, now I'm off to set you another question! ;o)
Cherry
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved