VetClick Discussion Forum

muscles twitching

Posted by Dena 
Dena
muscles twitching
May 20, 2005 08:36AM
I was wondering if you could help me?
I have 10 yr old anglo arab who is very reluctant to move, he is prefering to stand in the same spot and call. When he does move he takes small slow steps.
From a general look at him he appears to be shaking but, at a closer look his muscles in his hind quaters and just above his forearm, and all the way down his legs are twitching. He then re-positions his feet and it stops for a while.
There is no heat in any of his legs/feet.
Hes eating normally.
This has only happened within the last 16-18hrs (yesterday afternoon)
many thanks.

Re: muscles twitching
May 20, 2005 11:42AM
Hi Dena....I am not a vet firstly...Have you felt his bottom is it hard to the touch? What colour is his urine? I don't think it is Azoturia as his distress would be very evident...but I would get a vet out a.s.a.p. Has your horse been in hard work? There could possibly be some nerve trapped in his back. A vet will be able to either assess this straight away or take further steps to isolate the problem. I would call the Vet to do some checks.It could be anything from a mineral deficiency or imbalance to an ingested toxin. Check the field for any poisonous plants or trees. Best of luck
May 20, 2005 02:29PM
Hi, Dena,
I AM a vet, and I agree that you should call for veterinary help ASAP.
Is the horse at grass - it sounds as if it could be acute laminitis which need urgent treatment if permanent disability is to be prevented.
Walter
Dena
May 20, 2005 04:54PM
yes he is at grass and has been for a while now.
Ive seen early signs of lamintis before and although i wouldnt rule it out is there any chance of it being a pulled muscle? as he is a compleat idiot at times in the field, and it wouldnt be the first time hes slipped ( our field has rutts and has a gradiant all over).
His movement is now better then what it was this morning (had sun all afternoon), he managed to walk all the way down the field.

May 20, 2005 06:25PM
Hi, Dena,
Don't take any chances - call the vet!
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved