VetClick Discussion Forum

amputations

Posted by Jane Johnson 
Jane Johnson
amputations
May 18, 2005 08:58PM
My miniature schnautzer, has a growth on his toe, which has been diagnosed as cancer, He will definately have his toe removed, but the vet is now considering having the whole leg amputated. Will he recover and be able to continue a near normal life with 3 legs? He is 8 years old, and it will be his front leg that will be removed

Re: amputations
May 19, 2005 08:20AM
Hi, Jane,
How was the diagnosis made? Did the VS do a biopsy?
In black skinned dogs tumours on the foot may well be melanomas, which can be quite malignant. If that is the case, high amputation is the recommended option. Dogs, especially smaller breeds, get about very well on three legs.
Walter
Jane Johnson
Re: amputations
May 19, 2005 03:26PM
Hi, Walter
Thanks for getting back to me. The vet did do a biopsy on the tumour, and we are prepared for surgery of some sort. It was just a shock to hear he may have to lose his whole leg. My main concern is his recovery, and whether he will be able to get around to a simular degree that he does now. After receiving your reply, I feel a little more confident that he will. Many thanks for your time

Jane
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved