VetClick Discussion Forum

Dog Eating Sticky Weed

Posted by Paul Hosier 
Paul Hosier
Dog Eating Sticky Weed
April 11, 2008 03:29PM
Hello.
My dog has recently been eating a lot of sticky weed (Also known as goose-grass or cleavers) for a couple of weeks now (since it started growing our way). He only goes for that specific weed and can sniff it out.
He is around 8 years old, and a Border Collie/Lurcher cross (we think!)
Although we have been feeding him a can of Pedigree Chum Light a day, he sometimes leaves it. He has gone without eating his own food for days at a time, but he gets a lot of our table scraps.

I read that sticky weed is rich in copper. Could he be eating it because of a deficiency?
Re: Dog Eating Sticky Weed
April 11, 2008 03:42PM
Hi,

If your dog is normally fed on a good proprietory brand of dog food he is unlikely to have a mineral deficiency;

As far as I know cleavers is not a poisonous plant, but on the other hand I do not think he is likely to benefit from eating it, and I would advise you to do your best to prevent him from doing so.

W
jess
March 28, 2009 04:32PM
hello
my dog keeps on eating sticky weed but he is still eating his normal dog food.what is in it that he likes do you think that its good for him or not?
thanks for reading this letter
from jess
March 28, 2009 04:37PM
Hi,

I am not sure that I know what 'sticky weed' is, so I cannot comment on whether or
not it is likely to have any adverse effects, but as a matter of principle I would try to discourage your dog from eating it.

W
KD
December 07, 2011 11:11PM
jess Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hello
> my dog keeps on eating sticky weed but he is still
> eating his normal dog food.what is in it that he
> likes do you think that its good for him or not?
> thanks for reading this letter
> from jess

My dog goes out of his way to eat sticky weed too. He's 18 months old now and has been doing it ever since he was a puppy. He remembers where the plants are on our walks and visits them for a bit of a chomp on a daily basis.
December 18, 2011 11:59AM
I do not know what the plant is but if there are no adverse effects then I am sure your dog just likes the taste - it may have a lot of sugar in the plant.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved