VetClick Discussion Forum

cats broken tail?

Posted by Jools 
ChloeK
Re: cats broken tail?
July 15, 2009 07:51PM
My Cat Cant Sit Down Even If We Try Make Her .
She Won Let No One Touch Her Tail And Theres A Lump On It From Were She Has Got It Trapped Or Got It Bitten .

Could My Cats Tail Be Broken ?
Shall I Take Her Vets ?
July 15, 2009 08:13PM
Hi,

It may be broken, or it may have been bitten by another cat and if so an injection of antibiotics from your vet would be advisable.

W
VickyT
May 03, 2010 10:06AM
My Rocky was hit by a car last week, he has a broken pelvis and tail. He is currently unable to urinate himself, he is still at the animal hospital. Has anyone been in a similar situation and cat made full recovery?
May 03, 2010 03:31PM
I have seen cats make a full recovery from this sort of injury, but I have also seen those which did not.
It will take time - at least 1 month before deciding that it is not going to mend.

W
adrienne
March 21, 2011 02:24AM
My cat-same thing-dislocated tail and had no feeling in it and could not poop or pee. The vet said the same thing about 1 week. But I took him home and another vet said it could Take up to 8 weeks. In 2d week he could poop and regained feeling in the upper third of his tail-but he still can't pee-now in 3d week and almost 4k in bills-I want to give him the 8 weeks if I can-Anyone-know the chances? Any surgeries?--seems to be nerve related
March 28, 2011 07:45PM
If the cat's tail is broken the tail may or may not recover movement. What is important is whether the cat can urinate on its own. If it cannot then the bladder needs to be squeezed to empty it 3 times a day. Your vet should be able to show you how to do this but it takes a bit of practice, nevertheless you should be able to do this at home. There are also drugs which can help the bladder empty. Sometimes the bladder never recovers and I have had clients who have emptied their cat's bladders for them for the rest of their life. My own cat had this problem but it took about 3 months to get better. If their is no change after 3 months then the likelihood of things improving is low but if you are prepared to manage your cat's bladder at home yourself then although there can be problems which might need your vet to sort out then your cat can have quite a happy life.

Unfortunately because this problem is the result of damaged nerves they heal very slowly, if at all, and it is more a matter of whether you can cope emptying his bladder or not. It is certainly worth persevering.
stacey
May 19, 2011 10:35AM
HI I am unsure what happened to my cat her tail seems to be lame although she is able to urinate and poop with ease and still up and about it appears she has no feeling in it what so ever and is unable to jump please could some one shed a little light on what it could be thanks
May 22, 2011 06:12PM
This sounds like the tail has been trapped somewhere and the cat has pulled away separating the vertebrae at the base of the tail. If this does not affect the cats ability to got to the toilet then this is not particularly serious and the tail may or may not regain movement with time - if the tail keeps getting injured then it can be amputated short, but there is no need to do this initially. It should not affect the cats ability to jump so there may be further injury to the hips or pelvis - you probably should get the cat x-rayed to check there are no other broken bones in the pelvis, because if these heal abnormally the may affect the cats ability to go to the toilet in the future; also you cat may appreciate some pain relief.
T Hunter
June 26, 2011 06:08PM
I found my 8yr old cat injured yesterday. She had made it home, but was unresponsive, and did not look up when discovered(tho her eyes were open). She has a 1x1 scrape on her eyelid, a broken tail about 2" from the base. The break is highlighted by her wagging which does not affect the base. there is also some swelling on her cheek near the injured eye.
24hrs later she is more responsive and eating, but has not drank or used the litter(placed nearby) or moved far from the spot on the couch where we found her, tho she stretches periodically. We woke her every hour last night as with a human concussion, and made her comfy, but as is often the case it seems, are a bit broke and would like to avoid a vet bill, particularly if it is not required, and also avoid the added trauma of the visit for the cat.
June 29, 2011 03:39PM
Your cat has obviously experienced some traumatic injuries, but the fact that the cat is not drinking is of concern. There is no doubt from what you describe that your cat is likely to be in pain so that fact alone really means she needs to see a vet. I understand that there are financial constraints but these do not excuse giving your much loved cat adequate pain relief - there are always charities like the RSPCA/Blue Cross/Cats Protection that can help with costs. As well as pain relief these injuries may become infected and need antibiotics. You know what you need to do.
Rachael houchen
Cant feel his tail andnow chewing it
August 23, 2011 09:29AM
My cat got hit by a car in april hes fully recovered now just he cant feel his tail he can feel the base about 4 inches of it but not the rest we went to the vet when it happened and the vet said he doesnt have to take his tail off if he gets kept inside well there was no doubt he would never go out again not after what happened to my other cat finding him dead o the road, but hes started to chew the end of his tail n its bleeding he cant feel it but can wiggle is so can he feel it? When i touch is he doesnt feel it though! Please someone help me, thanks rach
Re: Cant feel his tail andnow chewing it
August 25, 2011 06:46PM
As your vet advised we don't usually amputate the tail unless absolutely necessary as most of the time it is not a problem. In your case however I suspect that it may be worth doing so see your vet and discuss it as if the cat cannot fell the tail then any injury may cause problems.
Luckyowner
August 28, 2011 02:29PM
our cat Lucky seemed fine until Thursday evening when he became a bit agitated and couldn't settle. On friday I noticed his gait was a bit off and his tail wasn't hanging properly. He was also listless. I took him to the vet Friday evening. (Another cat bit his tail last year and an abscess developed so I knew we had a problem immediately this time round.) She found a slight lump at the base of his tail and said his temperature was slightly raised and gave him a long last antibiotic by injection and gave me four painkillers for him, one per day. She said he had either been bitten again or possibly sprained his tail. She didn't xray him. Anyway, today is Sunday and he's not better. He finds it very difficult to use the litter tray - much howling - though he has peed. He has been outside too so he may be going to the loo outside as well which would be normal for him. His appetite is fine and he's drinking and he's not as listless but he's clearly still in pain and his gait is a bit off. I'm worried. Should I bring him back to the vet? How worried should I be? Thanks so much for reading and any responses.
kelly.H
August 29, 2011 07:29PM
Hi there i woke up this morning to my cat on the arm of the sofa so i picked her up as usual and put her outside .
she yellped i thought nothing of it . then all day she has been real quiet and her tail which is her main feature as she is a maine coon is all limp hanging down she is not liking being touched . at first i thought she may be pregnant and going into labour but i am nw thinking different please help me!!!
August 30, 2011 05:16PM
LuckyOwner

If there is still pain the concern would be that there is a fracture or even that there is pelvic damage eg from a road accident so I would go back to your vet for an xray as this is more than a bite.

Kelly

This may well be a bite at the base of the tail or it could be a fracture so see your vet.
Winney
August 30, 2011 05:57PM
I have a litter of three week old kittens. Mom is a rescue and a good mother, young as she is. I noticed one of the kitten's tails is curved and upon closer examination I believe the tail is broken. It is less than half way down the length. It doesn't seem to bother him. The rescue group will not allow for vet care. What to do? How does this happen?
August 30, 2011 06:00PM
This may well be a deformity rather than a fracture, although at this age a fracture should heal pretty quick. Any rescue group which does not allow vet care should not be operating in my opinion. In the UK this would be illegal.
Kayla
August 30, 2011 09:47PM
so I noticed that my cat has been acting differently... he is normally very friendly and has an excellent tolerance for my kids but for a couple days he was hissing when they held him... I noticed yesterday that his tail was down and the end bent... today my husband checked it out and there was a hair tie around his tail (similar to a rubber band)... his tail is very fluffy and I can't 100% tell if it has or has not cut into his skin but I think it may have... It was very hard to get off of him and caused him a lot of pain... my questions are will the tail most likely die and have to be amputated, at what point should I take him into the vet, and what is the best way to clean it to prevent infections... Thank you in advance!
September 05, 2011 06:46AM
Elastic bands round tails (I have even seen one round a dog's neck) will cut off the blood supply on many cases and cause the tissue distal to the band to die in many cases. The area needs to be clipped up and cleaned with salt water 3 times a day and probably needs antibiotics, especially if the end of the tail is cold or smells. It may well need amputation.
Tayjay
October 07, 2011 10:22PM
Hi,
I have a cat also with a broken tail (kink in the bottom) and a sizeable gash at the beginning of the tail. It is an outdoor cat and is one of the family, could it possibly heal on its own, or does it need to be taken to the vet - will it get amputated?
Thanks!!
October 10, 2011 04:15AM
If the break does not interfere with the cat then amputation is not usually performed. The gash may need stitching though; at the very least keep the wound clean with salt water bathing at least 3 times a day but if it gets infected then you will need to see the vet.
Jack
October 24, 2011 04:59AM
My cat also has a kink in his tail, any advice appreciated, as soon as I can arrange the insurance, will take him to the vet for an x-ray. He escaped (he's an indoor cat) and was out for 3 months so I don't know what happened, he was not hit by a car, I may have injured his tail when I tried to pick him up to bring him home, I picked him up and he unfurled out of my arms and ran off, it happened very quickly, but I don't remember pulling on his tail.
he doesn't seem to be in pain and doesn't have problems using his litter box. Are there chiropractors for cats? If the x-ray clears OK? Would hate to have the end of the tail amputated..!
October 24, 2011 06:27AM
If you take out insurance after an injury has occurred you will not be covered. If the tail does not cause the cat any inconvenience then nothing needs to be done with it.
leslye
October 26, 2011 10:21AM
My cat broke his tail 3wks ago, we had a splint put on it. He seemed to be cooping well with it but when we came home tonight he was acting different. When I looked at his tail I noticed he has chewed all the fur off in a small area and he has chewed all the way to the bone all the way around.(about 1.5inches from the base of his tail) I can not afford to take him to the vet. I love my cat like hes one of my children and I hate to see him like this. Ive been searching for hours looking for answers...please help me. I just want to know if this is natural? Can doing this kill him? Is he going to be ok if he does chew off his tail? I finacially cant do this but if I cant care for him at home Im willing to max out my credit card to save his life....I just dont know what to do....
October 31, 2011 10:18AM
I am sorry to say that putting a splint on a broken tail is not a good idea and is unlikely to work anyway. It sounds to me like the splint has interfered with the blood supply to the tail and the cat is chewing the tail because the tissue is effectively dead. The cat needs to have the tail amputated promptly and be given antibiotics or the gangrene will set in and the cat will become septic and die. See a vet promptly.
Bek
December 22, 2012 09:52AM
We just adopted a cat from the rspca, got him homecand although we were aware he has a broken tail close to his bottom, we have now noticed he has trouble keeping himself clean. His tail is painful although we were told the break is old, he's only ten months old, but he has feeling in the tail but just can't lift it past about 75 degrees. Would he need an amputation? He's quite fluffy so cleaning constantly is a major issue.
January 03, 2013 07:28PM
Hi

He could well need an amputation. If its a painful tail and he is soiling it, either of these two reasons would make him a likely candidate for that surgery. Presumably if you've adopted him with these known problems the rescue centre should be able to help with his treatment.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
yara
January 13, 2013 05:26PM
A few weeks ago I noticed that when I would pet my cat on or near his tail he would squeal and run away. About two weeks after that I noticed a hard lump on the unerside of his tail that was never there before. What should I do about it?
January 18, 2013 03:22PM
Hi Yara

I think your cat most likely got bitten by another cat a couple of weeks ago. He certainly sustained an injury which was why he was showing pain. The hard lump that remains now may be scarring of the bony tail structure, there's not much flesh on a cats tail. As long as he's bright and eating and its not painful now when you touch him on the lump it is healing. If he can lift and use his tail normally then he's been lucky and is over the worst of the damage. If the tail is still painful or he starts to lick and chew at the area that indicates its still causing him trouble so you should get him checked by a vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Julie1967
Re: cats injury tail?
September 15, 2013 10:55AM
Hi

I was wondering if you could help? My cat came in yesterday and when picked up seemed to be in pain. When I stroked along his back and got to his tail he yelped and would not let me near his tail and I did feel a small lump in middle of tail. His tail is not dragging but is held up halfway and he is eating and drinking normally though when he tries to sit down for food his tail swishes from left to right as if cannot get comfortale to eat. I have stroked his tail today and he didnt cry so not sure what he has done? Didn't want to rush him to vet if not needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved