VetClick Discussion Forum

cats broken tail?

Posted by Jools 
Jools
cats broken tail?
March 02, 2005 07:14AM
Hi,
My cat has just come in, with his tail just hangingand he can't move it. It doesnt appear to hurt him but there is an obvious lump near the base of it. there is no obvious signs of any trauma, like being hit by a car .

A similar thing happened once before and the tail was fine the next day.

Should I take him to the vet or give a few days and see if it recovers.

He had a back leg amputated a couple of years ago, after being hit by a car.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Re: cats broken tail?
March 02, 2005 08:45AM
Hi, Jools,
Yes, give it a few days.
If the use of the tail has not returned, it may have to be amputated.
Is your cat's name Lucky?
walter
Jols
March 02, 2005 09:22AM
LOL, no he's not called Lucky ;-).

The thing is Spike is such a lovely cat, extremely placid with a fantastic personality.

But when I compare him to my other cat... he's not very street-wise and definitely not the brightest cat on the block, hence him getting into dangerous situations.

Thanks for your advice.

Jools
March 02, 2005 02:49PM
You're welsome.
Jols
April 15, 2005 11:19PM
Just thought I would let you know, that Spikes tail is now back to normal, it took around 3-4 to sort itself out.

Thanks for your advice.
April 16, 2005 08:20AM
Good.
Thanks for letting me know.
Walter
drothy singletary
August 08, 2005 10:16PM
my cat has a broke tail should i take it to the vet ? will it heal on its on ? should i give it any kind of medicine?
August 09, 2005 06:52AM
Hi Drothy,
Very often a broken tail will mend without any attention, but in some cases the blood supply or the nerve supply to the tail beyond the break has been damaged, and the end of the tail dies and requires removal - by a veterinary surgeon.
There is no useful first aid that you can give, but keep watching it, and if any problems arise, then see your vet.
Walter
bruce
Re: cats broken leg?
September 05, 2005 03:17PM
last nite i was watching tv while my three kittens were playing around on things. my girl cat went on to my stereo and the other one chased it they ended up knocking over the stereo with her still on it. she hissed and swermed for a minute and then went under the bed now she hardly walk and i was wondering if there is a way to tell that the cats leg is broken without a x ray?
Re: cats broken leg?
September 05, 2005 03:33PM
Hi, Bruce,

Yes, in many cases a broken bone can be detected by palpation, but you need to know what you are feeling for!.

Pain, swelling and abnormal movement are the signs of a break, but in such a young kitten one can get a 'greenstick' fracture where pain and swelling are present, but not abnormal movement.

If there is no improvement after 24-36 hours, you should let your vet see her.

Walter

Walter
Lina
September 21, 2005 06:54AM
Hi there.

My cat seems to have broken his tail, Its probably about 8 - 10 cm's away from the base of his tail. I've felt around and there seems to be a bump. He has some movement, (ie, he can hold his tail up, its not hanging limp) but not the usual "swishing" that he ususally has. I've felt the tip of his tail, just to ensure that he has feeling on the tip. And he seems to have some feeling. Should I take him to the Vet to check it out, or do you suggest I wait a bit longer. I'm assuming that the Break happened on Sunday morning, its not Wednesday, should I give it a few more days??
sandy
April 21, 2008 11:37PM
My cat has a broken tail and is unable to urinate. The vet says that in a week if that ability has not returned, we will have to put him down!!! Somebody plz help me!!!!!!!!!!! If you know anything that i can do to help heal the nerves in his tell...please let me know!! I have tried expressing his bladder but have bloody scratches and bites all over my arm because of it
April 22, 2008 08:08AM
Hi,

I suspect that thr break is at or above the root of the tail - the sacrum.
It is unlikely that a broken tail itself will cause a permanent problem with urination.
You can always ask for another opinion if the vet does advise euthanasia.

W
chris
April 22, 2008 01:50PM
hi sandy

it can take several weeks for nerves to recover and there is medication available to support the bladder function
i would not give up just after a week and would ask your vet for this medication or seek a second opinion

all the best
joelle
Re: cats hard tail
May 24, 2008 12:22PM
We have three kittens who are about 4 weeks old. The very end of their tails are very hard. "One of the cats seems to also have a extra skin on hits paw and foot near the nail. Neitrher of these things bother the kittens. They are the most happy kittens I have ever seen.
Re: cats hard tail
May 26, 2008 11:45AM
Probably nothing to worry about and will resolve as they get older.
carol
June 08, 2008 08:50PM
Hi walter/sandy

My cat has just broken her spine above her tail near where the pelvic bones are, she is unable to urinate. What was the out come with Sandys cat and if a recovery was made how long did it take? Walter can you let me know what the drugs are to help with urination so that I can suggest them to our vet.

Carol
June 09, 2008 05:58AM
Hi, Carol,

I know of no medication that will help, but there is every possibility that she will return to being able to urinate quite soon. She may have to have her bladder draine a couple of times, but your vet will be able to do that for you.

W
Carol
June 09, 2008 10:04PM
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply, our cat has had her tail removed today, it was also broken lower down, Cafiter in place for a day or two till sitches removed. Vet hopes this may make it easier for her to pee. Sorry It was Chris who said that there was medication available to help the bladder fuction, guess you have not come across this.
June 12, 2008 09:33AM
Hi,

Thanks. I would be very interested to hear what this medication is.

W
K
June 13, 2008 10:56PM
... hi, all; one of our puds got nailed by a car last Aug., the tail was amputated a month later, and she has no bowel/bladder function. i give her the 'squeeze' 3 times a day at roughly 8 hour intervals, and massage a bowel movement out her once a day. There is enough muscle tone so she doesn't dribble and the stools are solid. One post at another site said that a cat recovered it's function after a year, so if you have the endurance, it's worth a try. Bella chows heartily (raw meat diet, less roughage) frisks with the other cats and still brings in moths at night to destroy the living room, so i can put up with the situation if she can :-)
June 14, 2008 11:16AM
Hi,

Thank you for that. I hope other cat-owners will find it helpful

W
claire
June 26, 2008 04:44PM
Hi Sandy, I hope your cat is ok?
Our cat had a fracture at the base of her tail and she was unable to urinate. For 3 weeks we've expressed her bladder with quite a bit of ease and yesterday she had her tail ampuitated..
I've read that this isnt too un common and with some dedication and determination, our cat can lead a relativey normal life.
Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation xx
jan beaumont
July 21, 2008 07:38PM
Hello,

we too have a cat with a possible broken tail -it just hangs there and if you try to lift it hes not very happy with that - also has a lump at the base which filled up with fluid then burst and is now on its way to filling again - all this doesn't stop him having a healthy appitite it just makes him very grummpy

Do you think you might recover - or it it a trip to the vets ??
July 22, 2008 08:20AM
Hi,

It sounds liike a tail amputation is indicated, and that is a job for your vet.

W
eileen
July 23, 2008 07:00PM
Hi sandie,

I would like to know how your cat is, has the bladder returned to normal, as my cat has just suffered a broken tail, and it has been removed as it became necrotic. i was also advised to have him put down, it has now been nearly three weeks and he has come home from the vets today and i have noticed him standing in the tray and stooping to do small pee's . i would be grateful if you have any information for me as i
am having to express ollie's bladder for him.

cheers eileen
ruth
August 21, 2008 08:26PM
my cat went missing for two weeks when we found him we took him to the vets because his tail is limp, the vet told us that they will need to amputate as my may start to chew it as he doesn't know it is his - I really dont want to have his tail amputated if he doesn't need to as it doesn't seen to be bothering him - do you think he needs this operation???

also he has started to pant when he has been playing, is this normal???
August 21, 2008 08:46PM
Hi,
If his tail is dead, it is better amputated.
Mention his breathlessness to your vet - he may have a ruptured diaphragm if he has been in an accident. This is far more serious than an amputated tail.

W
Honey
November 30, 2008 10:52PM
Hi

I too have cat with broken tail. I would like to express his urine for him as I don't have a lot of cash, however I'm finding it difficult anyone have glues for me please.

Honey
December 05, 2008 04:36PM
Hi,

It is not difficult to do, but difficult to ex[plain how to do it!
I suggest that you ask your vet, or a practice nurse, to demonstrate for you.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved