VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat with inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic involvement

Posted by Sue 
Sue
Cat with inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic involvement
January 22, 2007 04:56PM
I have a male neutered persian 8 years old who was born with only one kidney.Last September he was noticed to be losing weight.On examination the vet discovered he had only one kidney and urine and blood tests showed that it was only in the very early stages of renal failure if at all as the levels of creatinine were only slightly elevated. Blood tests were sent to America and revealed he has inflammatory bowel disease, low levels of B12 and moderate pancreatitis.During this time his weight loss continued to where we are now at 2.45kgs.
He was started on a hypoallergenic diet which he has taken to well in an attempt to stabilize the condition and avoid steroids in view of his one kidney. He is also having weekly B12 injections.However he continued to lose weight and was started on a locally acting steroid two weeks ago.He is very frail now has loose stools and sickness at times and he is generally lethargic.The vet is planning to try a more general steroid if the locally acting one isn't stabilizing his condition but is worried about the kidney function.
Do you know if a treatment exists which would be prefential to the steroids and would referal to a small animal hospital at a vet school be helpful?He is fully insured and a relatively young cat.
Re: Cat with inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic involvement
January 25, 2007 12:48PM
Hi Sue

Such a complex case as this requires a complete work-up by a small animal medicine expert.
Ask your vet to refer you to the nearest University Veterinary School. There should be no difficulty in obtaining a referral.

Walter

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2007 12:54PM by Walter.
January 26, 2007 10:44PM
He has been diagnosed with polycystic kidney and renal failure by the vet school team.We will talk to them tomorrow about treatment or whether to continue life for poor Teddy.
January 27, 2007 09:47AM
Hi, Machair,

I am sorry to hear that your cat's condition is so serious, but glad that at last you have a definitive diagnosis.
You must consider his qauity of life, and put his interests before yours when you, naturally, want to keep him as long as possible.
It is a privliege, and a responsibilty that we, as owners of animals have, to be able to spare them further suffering when they are terminally ill.

Walter
January 30, 2007 08:07AM
Dear Walter
We are going to see them at the vet school hosptal on Friday.They have got him hydrated and his electrolytes are now normal for the time being and he is coming off the IV support today.They are hoping to be able to give him 1 to 3 months quality time at home in peace as long as he can tolerate injections of fluid under the skin which we will have to give him.
My daughter is a vet student and is coming home this weekend to see him.
In your experience he will obviously soon deteriorate again and may need fluids again to make him comfortable but as long as he is happy we would like to give him the chance to live as even 2 months is a long time to a little cat as long as it is not in pain or discomfort.Have you any suggestions about how to make him comfortable and when I will know it is time to let him go.
Finally for anyone reading this if you are planning to buy a persian cat please go to a breeder who is on the PKD negative register [www.fabcats.org]
This inherited disease takes the cat at or before middle age and it is heartbreaking.
January 30, 2007 09:14AM
Hi, Machair,

I am pleased to hear that the vet school have managed to improve Teddy's quaklity of life. Advnaced renal failure cases in cats ( sadly, very common in older cats) do respond for a time to treatment, but the condition IS terminal, and cannot be 'cured'.
He will tell you by his behaviour when the time has come for him to be put to sleep.
Walter
January 31, 2007 07:32AM
Teddy is coming home on Friday.We are going to be giving him fluid injections under the skin to help keep him hydrated.Do you know if there are any dangers for him associated with this procedure and in terms of his drinking do you think it would be useful to get a water fountain for him as normally he drinks from the running kitchen tap which with his weakness will sometimes be difficult when I am out as he can no longer jump up there even with steps.
January 31, 2007 01:12PM
Hi, Machair,

yes, it would be a good idea to put water down for him. Whenm he can no longer drink from the tap he will find water where you have put it for him. However, as I said earlier, do not let him get so weak and helpless that he has no quality fo life

Walter
February 21, 2007 05:21PM
Walter I just wanted to thank you for all your advice.Teddy was readmitted to The RVC on Sunday and his urea and creatinine levels failed to improve despite the intravenous fluids.He was put to sleep today.
Words can't say how wonderful the team were with him.He had some more time with us in reasonable health but was spared any more suffering before he became too weak.
The way in which they handled his situation was with dignity and with kindness beyond words.
I am so glad we had the insurance cover and were able to do as much for him as we could.
February 21, 2007 09:59PM
Hi, Machair,

I am sure that you have made the right decision, and you have acted in Teddy's best interests all along. The end was inevitable, and I am so pleased to hear that you had such support and kindness from the staff at the RVC during this difficult time.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved