VetClick Discussion Forum

cat dragging bum

Posted by lee 
lee
cat dragging bum
February 20, 2005 08:18PM
My cat is nearly 3 years old and he started the bum dragging a few months ago. My vet said he might have a fissure or worms. The cat was given an anti-inflammatory and worming tablets. He again weeks later started dragging his bum. Another visit to the vets and another anti-inflammatory and worming tablets.. The vet checked the anal sacks and found nothing. My cat is still dragging and constantly cleaning the area. What should I do now?
Re: cat dragging bum
February 21, 2005 07:58AM
Hi, Lee,
Your vet seems to have considered all the possibilities - tapeworm, anal fissure and anal sacs.
I think that anal sac impaction or infection is the most likely, with an anal sac infection at the top of the list. If that is the case, maybe the vet would give him a GA, and irrigate the anal sac with an antibiotic. It is impossible to do this in a conscious cat, and antibiotics by mouth or injection do not work nearly as well.
To complicate the matter, a cat's tongue is very abrasive, and constant licking his backside will in itself cause an irritation.
W.
April 07, 2005 12:29PM
tapw worm is a possibility, my dog used to drag its bum, we only found out when we took her t the vets.

X MARY X
Pak
April 22, 2005 06:16AM

it could also be caused by Anal Gland ...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved