VetClick Discussion Forum

Relocating with a dog!

Posted by ilknur 
ilknur
Relocating with a dog!
January 27, 2005 04:12PM

Hello, I just wanted to ask a relocation question. I am planning on moving to Turkey or a different sunny country and want to of course take my dog with me. Hes 6 years old and in hot or even warm weathers he gets too hot and starts panting. I want to know if taking him to such country will make him uncomfortable due to the hot climate? Will the climate affect his health, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

Ilknur!

Re: Relocating with a dog!
February 01, 2005 10:57AM
Hi, Ilknir,
You do not mention what breed your dog is - heavy coated breeds do find it more difficult to cope with higher termperatures than short coated ones.
All dogs maintain their body temperature when they are hot by panting - they are 'air-cooled' - so that in itself is normal and to be expected.
It is important to find out what infections dogs in Turkey are exposed to - sorry, I cannot help you there. If for example, heartworm or ticks are a problem, take plenty of the right treatment with you to keep you going until you can contact a good veterinary practice over there to supply you.
Walter

ilknur
February 01, 2005 12:06PM
Hello again, thank you for replying to my email. My dog is a Bichon Frise. You say some dogs cope less well, could this cause big problems in his health if he cant cope? What would the consecquences?

Ilknur!
February 01, 2005 05:08PM
Hi, Ilknur,
A Bichon Frise shoudl be able to cope with the heat.
If he ever appears distressed by it, get his coat clipped short.
W

ilknur
February 03, 2005 12:37PM

Thanks very much for that, you've made my day by saying that he would cope.

Thanks again.

Ilknur!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved