VetClick Discussion Forum

Fat/Protein Content in Dog Food - Older Dogs

Posted by kevinblack 
Fat/Protein Content in Dog Food - Older Dogs
January 18, 2005 09:24AM
Hi,

I've 2 11 year old boxers (desexed females). We have been looking at 'senior' dry foods (and lite dry foods) as the dogs are less mobile and getting a little tubby. I'm totally confused. Lite foods have 7% fat and 17% protein. Senior fodds 6.5% fat and 18% protein. Regular PAL canned dog food says 4% fat and 7% protein which seems low on protein (probably not good), but also low on fat (probably good). So regular canned dog food sees 'liter' than the special diet stuff??

At the moment we have gone for the a brand here called Supercoat - Special Care - Senior with 18% protein and 7% fat. In addition they get fed pasta, rice, chicken, beef, vegetables (green beans, carrots etc) and some canned foods.

My questions are:
1. 'is this the correct option for the older dogs?' and
2. 'how come the canned dog food is so low in fat (and protein)?'

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Kevin

Re: Fat/Protein Content in Dog Food - Older Dogs
January 18, 2005 04:16PM
Hi, Kevin,
I think that your interpretation of the analysis shown on the label of the dry and canned petfoods does not take into account the moisture content, which skews the total fat and protein %age figures. In both the examples you give, the RATIO of fat to protein is quite similar.
What you need to calculate is the TOTAL fat and protein fed - mutiplty weight of food consumed by the % fat and protein content.
Older, less active dogs do require less fat in their diet, and since many older dogs have a degree of kidney impairment the protein content of the diet is better reduced, though the quality of the protein content should remain high.
The reputable petfood manufacturers take all these factors into acount when formulating there senior diets, which are to be recommended. Remember that in all cases, especially when a dry diet is given pleant of clean drinking water should always be available.
I hope this helps.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved