VetClick Discussion Forum

collie with blood in urine

Posted by Sheila 
Sheila
collie with blood in urine
January 14, 2005 06:14PM
I have a 13 year old border collie, that for the past month has been passing blood in her urine. She is otherwise her lively and healthy self. Eats and drinks as normal. She is terrified of the vet, and the last time we took her along she got so stressed that she bit the vet, (this was quite a few years ago). Part of me also doesnt want to take her in case she needs to be put to sleep. She doesn't seem to be suffering at all. Have you any idea what this could be and if she needs veterinary attention the best way to keep her calm.
Re: collie with blood in urine
January 15, 2005 10:26AM
Hi, Sheila,

This really a case for a vet to sort out. You do not say if there is increased frequency - for instance, can she go all night?

The cause could be cystitis ( inflammation/infection of the bladder wall), or a growth anywhere in the urinary tract from the vulva to the kidneys.

I always dread to hear someone say they do not want ' to take her to the vet in case she has to be put to sleep' . The number of times I have heard that, and had to reply 'If you had brought your pet to see me three months ago, I could have saved it, now it is too far gone to treat'.

Maybe try a different veterinary practice - she will remember the one where she had a bad experience. May be go in and talk to the vet before you take her, to make an appointment and maybe ask if they could give you a mild tranquilliser for her.

I hope all goes well for her./

Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved