VetClick Discussion Forum

painful ear

Posted by Deborah Courage 
Deborah Courage
painful ear
January 07, 2005 05:23PM
Hello Walter,
I found a little pup in a gutter 3 years ago and since becoming an adult he has been suffering something awful with his ear.He scratches at it non stop and cries out.This is not a daily thing, it comes on at anytime and then goes away- or at least subsides.I took him to the vet and she said she saw no ear mites, we flushed his ear anyway, put him on steroid tabs ( prednisone) and even antibiotics. Wjat can it be. I have given up.
Re: painful ear
January 08, 2005 05:19PM
Hi again, Deborah,
The most likely cause of your dog's ear problem is ear mites - it needs only a very few mites to cause a severe irritation. Another posibilty is a foreign body, such as a grass awn, but your veterinarian would have seen that, and the ear flush should have removed it.
If it is mites, antibiotics would not help, and steroids may well make it worse. I would suggest a commercial ear drops containg a miticide applied daily and massaged deep into the ear, for at least three weeks.
Happy New Year to you too,
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved