VetClick Discussion Forum

golden retreiver biting

Posted by nick shopland 
nick shopland
golden retreiver biting
December 23, 2004 06:55PM
my 2 year old golden keeps biting areas till they are raw we have had all allergy tests etc and monthly jabs change of food etc to no avail
Re: golden retreiver biting
December 24, 2004 01:33PM
Hi, Nick,
Far and away the most likely casue of your dog biting lumps out himself is FLEAS! Look deep into his coat for little black specks, about the sise of grains of salt. That is flea dirt, and eher there is flea dirt, there are flease.
A second possibilty is canine scabies, sarcoptic mange. An easy test for this is to rub the back edge of his ear between your thumb and forefinger - if his hind leg on the same side starts to make scratching movements, that confirms it.
Food allergies ar rare.
Have you consulted your veterinary surgon about it!
Happy and itch-free Chrstmas!
Walter
nick shopland
December 24, 2004 05:21PM
no response to ear test and is treated every 28 days for fleas and ticks plus weve been to the vets more times than we can remember and goes to vets once a month for allergy injections a year later still biting any other ideas would be appreciated
December 26, 2004 05:08PM
What are the 'allergy injections'?
nick shopland
December 27, 2004 01:34PM
we have been told she is allergic to cats stiinging nettles and some forms of grass(we have no cats) she has had the allergy injectins for over a year now a coupl;e of good months without biting but mostly months with
December 28, 2004 01:14PM
What EXACTLY is the content of the 'allergy injections'?
dawn
March 08, 2005 12:48PM
My golden retreiver puppy has been scratching causing bleeding for months now - she is just over a year. I changed her puppy shampoo with a de-flea solution. I found she stopped scratching as much it has caused her less stress. I hope you find whats causing the biting.
March 08, 2005 03:50PM
Hi.
Certainly, some dogs have an allergy to grass - this shows up particularly when they lie on a freshly cut lawn ,and the skin comes into contact with the sap from the cut grasses.
There are skin test kits now available for allergy testing, but I am not sure how reliable they are.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved