VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat had UTI treated, still won't use litter box

Posted by Kristen Kraft 
Kristen Kraft
Cat had UTI treated, still won't use litter box
January 04, 2016 08:00PM
Hello,

I am currently watching over a friends cat. It was supposed to be a temporary thing but its ended up being 4 months now.. Anyway when I first took her in I noticed she has a lot of eye boogers and since I was taking my cat to the vet I took Nora too. As it turned out she was ill and had a very bad fever which they prescribed her antibiotics for 2 weeks. Shortly after the antibiotics I noticed she began peeing on the floor. Unfortunately it was about a month later before we got her treated for a UTI. Now for the past three months she has been peeing on the floor right by her litter box. It is a smaller apartment so I can't put the litter pan somewhere else but we did move one to a spot we noticed her peeing on in the living room. The other is still in the cat closet. I cannot keep living with this situation so I told my friend she needs to figure out what she is going to do with her cat. She said she could put her outside (its very cold here and she is an indoor cat...) but then her mom said no so she asked me to take her back to a shelter... Which to me seems awful. So, I have a few questions. First, do you think the antibiotics are what caused the UTI? Secondly, how can I get her to stop peeing on my carpet?! I am at my wits end... I did see some stuff at the pet store it looked almost like catnip(but thats not what it was) and it said you add it into the litter to help attract the cat to the pan. Do you think that would help? My boyfriend wont let me put a pan somewhere else in tha apartment or else I would have done that. My fear is she has conditioned herself to believe the pan is what causes the pain to the point she won't use it again... She does use it to go number 2 however.

Any advice is appreciated as I do not want her to end up without a home again sad smiley

Thank you!
Kristen
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved