VetClick Discussion Forum

Dental Issues.

Posted by Corinne 
Corinne
Dental Issues.
July 20, 2004 04:19AM
My 13 year old cat has dental problems. He has a coating of brownish plaque all over his teeth along with a green subtance along the right back side of his gums. His dental problems has been ongoing. What do you believe this problem is? What can be done? Is it very expensive to treat?

With my first check, I would love to fix this and hopefully prelong his life. I'm 16 and working part time and I don't have alot of money. My mother refuses to pay for vet bills. Please answer, your advice could maybe convince her into helping me pay.

Thank you,
Corinne
Waltervet
Re: Dental Issues.
July 20, 2004 07:13AM
Hi, Corinne
Sorry to hear about your cat's dental problem. This is very common in older cats, especially those fed a soft food - commercial or home-prepared. Short of getting the teeth cleaned by a vet, which could be quite expenisve, there is little you can do.
You do not say where you live, but if you are in a area covered by one of the animal charities - the Blue Cross or the PDSA for instance - they would probably be able to help. The local branch of the Cats' Protection League might also be able to help.
Walter
Re: Dental Issues.
July 30, 2004 09:00AM
I would like to add, as an employee of a PDSA practice, that you do have to be either in reciept of housing benefit or full council tax benefit to be eligible for free treatment.

In any case, bacteria from these dental problems can enter the bloodstream and damage organs such as kidenys, liver, and heart. It would be beneficia to your cats health to have her teeth cleaned / possibly extracted under general anaesthetic at the vets.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved