VetClick Discussion Forum

goldfish is dying

Posted by fodi 
fodi
goldfish is dying
July 17, 2004 12:06PM
Hi

My goldfish is dying. He is 5 years old in a tank on his own. He has developed a growth on his mouth which had now grown so large his mouth is just about closed. Therefore he can't eat anymore. He has been lying on the bottom of the tank for the last 10 days, he keeps his fins close to his body, he will swim in a fashion for about 1 minute but then goes back to the bottom for hours. Yesterday he was swimming to the top and sticking his head out gasping at the surface but not for long.

It's really distressing to watch him like this, I have tried all sorts of treatments. Is there anything I can do to stop him suffering.

Fodi
Re: goldfish is dying
July 18, 2004 07:12AM
Hi, Fodi,
Sounds like your goldfish is definitely on his way out. Euthanasia would be an act of mercy. The most effective way, if you can bring yourself to do it, is a smart tap on the back of the head. Otherwise, just take it out of the water, and it will quickly 'drown' in the air.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved