VetClick Discussion Forum

Lump on my cats head, she seems in pain :-(

Posted by buzz-b 
Lump on my cats head, she seems in pain :-(
June 28, 2006 07:09PM
My cat has a lumpon the top of her head and whenever it touched she whimpers or hisses at us. I am really worried as she does'nt seem herself. Hopefully its just an injury from a cat-fight, or could it be somthing more serious?
Re: Lump on my cats head, she seems in pain :-(
June 28, 2006 08:30PM
Hi, This is most likely to be an abscess from a bite from another cat. It may nne do be opened and drained by a veterinary surgeon.
Walter
Catie
Two lumps on top of my kittens head?
August 11, 2006 05:54AM
It first started with just one bump on her head and I thought it was from her running into something. Today I noticed another one right next to it. The lumps are small but big enough to see looking down on her because her hair kind of separates where they are located. Please help me figure out what this is. I have done some research on it just through google and it says it could be a tumor or cancer? Please write back as soon as possible.
-Catie
August 11, 2006 07:25AM
Hi, Catie,
My best advice is still take her to a vet. I cannot possibly make a diagnosis over the internet, though I think an abscess is still the most likely.
Walter
Jennifer
August 08, 2007 04:12AM
My 4 month old kitten has lump right on top of his dome (head), when I press it, it seems to move a little and bother him. I also have a 1 year old cat. What is that little lump on his head?

Jennifer
August 08, 2007 07:39AM
Hi, Jennifer,

No vet could make a reasonable diagnosis from the description you give without actually seeing your kitten.
Hs he had his vaccines yet? If not you could ask the vet to have a look at it when you go for his vaccination.

W
emma c
August 21, 2007 05:19PM
My 12 year old cat has developed a lump on the top of her head by her right ear.It started as a small bump but in the space of 2 months has grown almost as big as a golf ball. I have taken her to the vets and they said that it could not be removed. They thought it could be a tumor but would not be able to diagnose it without doing a biopsy. I thought it would be kinder for Daisy if she didn't have a biopsy as the lump couldn't be removed anyway and due to her age i didn't want to cause her any unnecessary upset. She is acting completely normally and still has a healthy appetite, she looks like she has lost a little weight but that could be down to me feeding her organic fish, meat and broccoli and cutting out the cat biscuits. I also give her cat vitamins. I would like to know if you can recommend any therapies, treatments, medications that may help her. Also what are the signs and symptoms of cancer in cats. I feel sure that the tumor is not cancer as she seems fine in herself.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Emma
August 22, 2007 07:35AM
Hi, Emma,

You do not say if the lump is soft, is firm but can be moved with the skin, or is on the bone of the skull.
Only the last of the above would have been inoperable.
Even now, if it answers either of the two first descriptions above, I think it would be better to have it removed.
Short of surgical removal I can offer no suggestions for treatment.

W
Cindy
September 09, 2007 06:50PM
Our 10 1/2 year old cat had a fast-growing lump on his head. We scheduled an appt. for him, out vet aspirated it, removed it, but couldn't remove ALL of it, due to the apparent growth under his skull. He healed well, but the lump is back, growing, after 2 months. Today I noticed a small bit of blood on it. He continues to eat,play, and do everything just as he normally does.

Our vet has not seen anything like this, she is quite sure it is some form of cancer. I'm only concerned about his quality of life-which has been very good. Is it possibly for this "lump" to open up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Cindy.
September 10, 2007 08:23AM
Hi, Cindy,

This sounds very nasty. Did your vet send a sample away to a laboratory for examination?
It may well be a tumour of the bone which will almost certainly be incurable, and, eventually, uncontrollable.
If in the meantime it does not appear to be causing him any pain or inconvenience, a 'wait and see' policy is advisable.

W
ian
Re: lump on my cats jaw bone
September 20, 2007 07:20PM
hi my cat disney is 11 a few mths ago a lrg lump appered on his left bottom jaw bone , that felt soft to touch , after a trip to the vets , the treatment worked well, two jabs and 7 days on pills but after 24 hrs from the jabs the lump had gone, great i thought 2 wks later and it was back , another trip to vets and they kept him in over 2 nights for tests, no absess from teeth and x ray showed nothing the lump went again , 2 wks again and it came back , same events at vets and now 2 wks again its back now going to vets at 6 today wot the hell is it they have no idea, i am worried the a biopsy will be be a big op for my cat but fear it may have to happen , the vet feels it can not be a tumour as it goes straight away with the jabs please help me i do not want to loose him
September 21, 2007 09:18AM
Hi, Ian,

Difficult to comment without seeing it, but I wonder if it might be a salivary gland getting its duct blocked from time to time?
Next time it comes up, try pressing it very gently and see if extra saliva is produced in the left side of her mouth.
This condition is not common but I have seen it.

W
lee
September 28, 2007 11:41PM
i bought a kitten with a lump on his heag hard lump she said it was nothing to worry about that he was born with the lump well i took kitten to vet today cause he got a virus i only had him one week,the vet told me to return kitten cause of lump that it could lead to serious problems later on what do you think
September 29, 2007 07:25AM
Hi, Lee,

I agree 100% with the advice given to you by your vet.
This kitten should not have been sold to you - as well as the unidentified lump on his head he has a virus infection.
Take him back immediately, tell the seller that you are returning him on veterinary advice, and demand a full refund, NOT a replacement.

W
Arthur Smith
November 05, 2007 08:22PM
Hi

My 1year old cat Siobhain has a lump above her right eye. It is sort of grey in colour with 3 small scabby cuts on it. I just noticed it yesterday, and now it appears the she has aquired a second bump on her head of a similar look. I'm bringing her to the Vet tomorrow but maybe you can tell what it might be?

Kind Regards

Arthur from Ireland.
November 07, 2007 08:17AM
Hi, Arthur,

I suspect that this swelling is a cat-bit abscess and may need draining and anitibiotics.

W
Kimber
September 04, 2008 01:42AM
I noticed a lump on my cats head tonight that reminds me of what I get if I bump my head good (not hard, but not real spongy). I goes from just between her ears to just above her forehead and goes almost all the way across her head. I am wondering if my kitten (actually 5 yrs but still plays pretty hard) caused her to bang her head on something or if this is something I should be very concerned about sinces she's almost 15. I put a cold pack on it for a while tonight, and it does seem to have helped it go down a bit, but she it does seem to bother her as she won't let me pet the top of her head (which she normally loves).
September 05, 2008 07:22AM
Hi, Kimber,

If this mass appeared almost overnight.it is probably a haematoma (blood blister) arising from an injury, or an abscess from a cat bite..
If the former it will go down slowly. but will result in the skin becoming distorted, if the latter it will probably burst and discharge nasty pus. ( no pun intended!).
Both will be painful, and cause her to dislike having her head touched.

W
rockjamgirl
Lump on my cats head, she doesn't seem to be in pain
October 06, 2008 05:21PM
I found a lump on the back of my kittens head just below her left ear this weekend and it was the size of a golf ball that came on suddenly, but has since gone down to the size of a goose egg, like we would get if we got our head knocked. She doesn't feel warm, nor does the lump, there are no nicks or cuts anywhere around the lump and she doesn't seemed to be affected by it. Not even when we touch it. It feels like a hard large marble under softness and does not feel like it moves hardly at all when I try moving it. She doesn't scratch it, she doesn't seem to act like it's there. She's still playful, but does seem to want to be cuddled more and rest more. Not sure if I should leave it alone or if I should start applying the Tresaderm I have left over from her last vet visit in August when she had little nicks from the other kittens she had been living with before we got her. I can't afford what i know will be a high vet bill, any suggestions for homeapathy treatments. I hope this helps.
Re: Lump on my cats head, she doesn't seem to be in pain
October 07, 2008 07:03AM
Hi,

Without seeing your cat, and not knowing her age, I cannot make a diagnosis, but I suspect that this may be an abscess.
You really should make the effort to get it seen by a vet.

W
sheena
Re: Lump on my cats head
June 07, 2010 04:21PM
Hi my cat - she's 11 years old and a siamese - has a lump on her head just above her eye. I have taken her to me vets 3 times since it first appeared about 5 weeks ago and they have no idea what the lump is but have given me metacam to reduce the swelling, this works but the lump is definietely getting bigger. It is very hard and the vet said it feels like bone although there are times when it feels like there is a bit of fluid around it. It doesn't move about when pressed and the cat is not showing any discomfort from it, in fact she spent about 4 hours cleaning her head the other night and it looked much better in the morning almost as if it had reduced in size slightly. She occassionally has weepy eyes - once a week at most. She does have an intermittent cough as well which sounds like a hairball cough but she does it 2/3 times a day. Any ideas?
June 08, 2010 07:43AM
Has this lump been x-rayed?
sheena
June 08, 2010 11:20AM
No not as yet - the vets have suggested xrays and a biopsy but say there's no rush so to wait and see.
janeil
May 12, 2011 12:25AM
Hello, my 11 year old female cat cleo has a lump by her eye and she wont let anyone touch it. As soon as it was discovered i took her to the vet and they thought it was just an infection so they gave her antibiotics..a week later (yesterday) she was back to the vet and the antibiotics didnt work and the vet thinks it may be cancer. Ive done my research and 84% of tumors turn out to not be cancer..but my mother thinks she should be put down if it is cancer. Cleo is going to the vet again tomorrow to inspect further. I am wondering what you can tell me about your knowledge of lumps..cancer and if it is cancer would it be treatable? I dont live with my cat since leaving for college, so my mom is taking her to the vet and she said if it is cancer she thinks she should be put down right away..i completely disagree and am very upset with my mom's way of thinking. What do you suggest?
May 16, 2011 02:34PM
The first thing to say is that if the lump has not responded to antibiotics, it does not necessarily mean it is not an infection, as abscesses may not resolve completely without being lanced to let them drain. In this location (if it is below the eye) an abscess of the tooth root may be the problem and if the tooth is not removed to let the infection drain then it also may not resolve on antibiotics alone. Secondly if this is a tumour then as you say it may not be malignant (cancerous), although te figure you quote of 84% of tumours are benign I think is not to be relied upon. What needs to be done is a fine needle aspirate from the lump so that a pathologist can look at the sample and say what it is. You do not describe the appearance of the lump but the location is not common for malignant tumours, unless they are in the bone below the skin. Get a biopsy and go from there. As far as putting the cat to sleep is it is malignant, this very much depends upon the cat's quality of life, not what sort of tumour it is.
A RED
Re: Lump on my cats head, near his ear.....
August 12, 2011 03:43PM
Good Morning....thank you for your professional time.....My little male cat......believe he is 2 years old now -- inside and outside cat............i found him outside where he was dumped ......he is always getting into fights.....he was bitten by the ear.....and a lump appeared near his ear......i cleaned him, and his cuts and scratches are healing good.....and lump is getting a little smaller......he does let me touch it......can i wait a few more days to see if this lump starts to shrink........before i take him to the vet.....please advise
Re: Lump on my cats head, near his ear.....
August 13, 2011 05:14AM
If it is an abscess then bathing it with salt water 3 times a day will help it burst and heal. As long as it is healing and the cat is not unwell there is no need to go to the vet but remember that once it burst try and keep it open and keep bathing it until it heals properly
Helena_and_Chalky
August 31, 2011 07:21PM
Hi there
My lovely 17 yeard old cat has a lumb above her right eye. Her right eye is pushed half close, her right nostril seeps puss/blood. The lump is hard and does not move.I went to the vets today who gave her an anti biotic injection it didn't seem like much treatment for this.
Am so worried this is a tumour please could you advise, thank you
September 05, 2011 06:56AM
presumably the vet thought it was an abscess which would be the first thought to me without having examined the cat, and antibiotics would be a good first treatment if the vet was not sure what it was as otherwise you would have to cut it off which I suppose they were trying to avoid initially in a cat of this age. If antibiotics do not clear it up however, then surgery to remove the lump and check out what is will be needed.
anet
July 31, 2012 01:41PM
I have a 9 year old male cat and he has come in this morning
with a large solid lump on the left side of his head that seems
to be coming out of his skull it is solid and the siz of a golf ball
please can anyone help?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved