VetClick Discussion Forum

Male Dog Swollen Nipple, Hard lump and Fluid pocket

Posted by SomeDude 
Male Dog Swollen Nipple, Hard lump and Fluid pocket
September 11, 2013 08:04AM
Hey there my names marty I have a Male Staffie cross Pitbull (Charlie) that's about 2-years old.
I also took on another dog that I found through a friend that wasn't being cared for properly (Sky), she's about 9-10months old and we can only really speculate from the way she acts and looks that she may have cattle and or shepherd in her.
Since the weekend one of the males nipples has been swollen, I wasn't too worried at first, but 2 days ago he got a solid lump underneath the skin where the nipple sits, and in the last day - day and a half it's begun to make a fluid pocket around the lump.

The only cause I can think of is because Sky is young and hasn't come from the best place she may be a bit rough when they play.

I took him to the vet but unfortunately after the consult and what not I didn't have enough for a biopsy of the lump. So they gave him an injection that was about $50 and told me to come back with the rest of the money tomorrow for antibiotics. All up this is only $176 but after reading something that sounds similar on the internet I thought I might just ask if you think this is the best course of action or am I likely to in two weeks when I have more money be told I need the biopsy anyway? .

Judging by the article I read it sounds like a seroma or a hematoma but obviously i'm no professional, the only reason I worry is because i've lived with other people and their dogs fought in the past and when this happened the vet always drained fluids and such. She may have just done that because there were actualy punctures on their dogs though, i'm probably just paranoid... But it can't hurt to ask. If you can get back to me i'd really appreciate it thankyou.

Yours sincerely,

Marty.
Re: Male Dog Swollen Nipple, Hard lump and Fluid pocket
September 23, 2013 03:31PM
Hi Marty

By this time you may know what was best to do. I would always advise a biopsy of any lump that persists over a period of time. Infection causing swelling or a big bruise(haematoma) or fluid build up(seroma) should gradually disperse with treatment or over a matter of time. If a lump remains a biopsy is the best thing to have.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved