VetClick Discussion Forum

Loosing weight and excessive eating

Posted by Jo2000 
Jo2000
Loosing weight and excessive eating
July 11, 2013 04:55PM
Hi.....my tom cat is 10 years old and in the last couple of months he has changed considerably - He has an uncontrolable appetite...cries for food all the time...i'm sure he would eat non stop if i let him!! He's also drinkig so much more than previously. Over the last month i've had to start putting him out at night regardless if he wants to go or not because he has been weeing and pooing in the house (something he's never done before).....he's also wee'd in the house and he hasn't realised he's done it....i've come to the conclusion that he may be incontinent. I'm really worried but i know if i take him to the vets it will mean lots of tests which i'm sure will be very costly. Do you have any ideas what could be wrong with him?

Thanks

Jo
Re: Loosing weight and excessive eating
August 07, 2013 06:17PM
Hi Jo

I have a couple of possible causes that these symptoms could be caused by. Excess drinking and eating plus weight loss can be due to diabetes. Another quite common problem in older cats is an overactive thyroid gland. Sure these tests will cost you money but unfortunately without them, you won't be able to get him diagnosed or helped. Treatment is available for both these problems.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved