VetClick Discussion Forum

abnormal growth on cat's paw - NOT a wart or prehensile claw

Posted by post 
abnormal growth on cat's paw - NOT a wart or prehensile claw
June 30, 2013 10:56PM
A cat was abandoned in our neighborhood by a family that moved away. At least they didn't leave him locked in the house =\

We've befriended this cat, we call him "Ebony" - a black short-haired domestic with polydactyl paws - he has a extra "thumb" digit on each of his front paws, and my guess is a year or less old at time of posting.

We are a little concerned about an abnormal growth on his right front paw. it appears to be cutaneous material, up to a centimeter long, but seems to break off at times and regrow. It is brownish, like a horn, and grows from the side of one of his digits. that digit has a fully functioning / retractable claw besides the abnormal growth. It doesn't appear to bother him a great deal, though it drags on the ground when he walks, and his gait looks to be adjusted for that on hard surfaces. He doesn't react with a great deal of pain or anger if we try to touch this growth, but fusses enough to let us know that he doesn't like us messing with it. my first thought was that he had a small twig somehow lodged in his paw, or a very large thorn, but it is obviously some growth.

my concern is mainly that this makes walking uncomfortable for Ebony and wonder if I ought to take something like dog's nail clippers and try to keep it trimmed when I see him. Ebony is a stray, and I don't know any medical history for him - he is not neutered and I can't say whether he has had any vaccinations at all. Could this be indicative of some disease or condition? or just an abnormality, more common in polydactyl cats? I have been around cats all my life, many of them, and never seen this before, though i've known a handful of "mitten kittens"

i'm trying to link some pictures here -- hope these show up right in the forum post --

Re: abnormal growth on cat's paw - NOT a wart or prehensile claw
July 20, 2013 04:31PM
Hi

Yes I can just about appreciate the problem from your photos but would need to be able to touch and manipulate it to know what it attaches to and so how to manage it. You may be able to trim it if it is composed of keratin but it would be better if a vet assesses it initially before you start doing that. Any chance of you also getting him neutered and vaccinated. Those two things would also contribute hugely to his well-being.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved