VetClick Discussion Forum

Bone chip

Posted by Naomi Hewitt 
Naomi Hewitt
Bone chip
June 18, 2013 04:56PM
I am interested in rehoming a retired greyhound. However when I asked why he had stopped racing I was told that it was because he had a bone chip the size of a small flake. The vet has been hard to get hold off, and when he finally got in touch the reply was a brief text saying it wont be a problem. Is this entirely true, or will it put the dog at risk from arthrits in his future? He seems ok at present.
Many thanks
Naomi
Re: Bone chip
June 18, 2013 06:56PM
Hi Naomi

Because they have to be such high performing athletes, many racing greyhounds are retired for such types of problems and other minor injuries. I don't believe a small bone chip in 1 joint would be likely to cause a major lameness problem for a dog who was going to be a pet. Any older dog can suffer from arthritis in later life but we can manage and treat that to ease discomfort. Retired greyhounds do often make good pets so as long as you accept this small risk then go ahead. I am sure he would love a good home. If you aren't entirely sure, ask if you can take him on trial and get him checked over by your own vet.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Naomi Hewitt
June 20, 2013 08:26PM
Thank you for your reply Cathy. Wish you lived locallysmiling smiley

I don't suppose anyone knows if the treatment for arthritis would be covered in dog life insurance if it is located at the site of a previous injury/bone chip? I know they don't cover for the treatment of previous injury's as such.

Many Thanks
July 20, 2013 03:11PM
Belated thanks, sorry haven't been able to post for a while. Depends if he's classed as having a pre-existing condition. Only a vet looking at him would be able to say. Sorry can't be of more help.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved