VetClick Discussion Forum

Dog tapeworm treatment

Posted by jerry 
Dog tapeworm treatment
May 31, 2013 07:48AM
Hi,

We have a 2 year old Boxer, we have been using Advocate treatment, I wrongly assumed that it was a tapeworm treatment as the box seems to suggest it covers a lot of things.

Later this year we are taking her to Europe, she has her pet passport etc, My question is can we use something like Drontal plus as well as Advocate as both say they treat roundworm and other things, or are doubling up and overdosing on drugs?

Should we stop using Advocate and only use a separate Flea treatment and dedicated wormer?

While I'm on am I correct in saying that the Rabis injection lasts for 2 years as far as the Pet Passport is concerned?

regards

Jerry
Re: Dog tapeworm treatment
June 15, 2013 10:42AM
Hi Jerry

Advocate has a broad spectrum but does not treat tapeworm. Drontal does do that and is often used as a round worm and tapeworm treatment both for routine worming and for the pet passport regulations. At the recommended doses for each drug there should be no problems due to overdosage.

Your pet passport should have the date of last rabies vaccination written in it and a date for when the next one is due if you check that. Normally these days Rabies vaccination is every 3 years but you do need to check in your own pet passport for this information and check the facts with your own vet about what vaccine was given last time.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved