VetClick Discussion Forum

My Cat is old and getting thinner

Posted by DAB 
DAB
My Cat is old and getting thinner
May 28, 2013 03:30PM
My Cat is now 19 years old and in the last couple of months has lost weight even though he still eats regularly. He also drinks water a lot recently, but not if I put it in his bowl only from a puddle or pond so I put milk for him instead which he laps up. He doesnt have diarrhoea or vomiting and he seems ok in himself. His back legs are starting to give out on him however and he finds it difficult to walk sometimes without looking as if he is going to fall, but he still tries. He doesnt cry an awful lot except when he his hungry. My question is do you think he is okay to carry on living or am i being cruel letting him carry on like this? I dont think he would like me taking him to the vets just for a check up as I think this would probably scare him if anything because he has not been to the vets in about 17 years.
Re: My Cat is old and getting thinner
June 15, 2013 10:14AM
Hi

Hear what you are saying about the scary trip to the vet but without it its impossible to give a full assessment of his problems which might be helped with diets or medication. My criteria for if a pet is still enjoying life are 1. is there still an appetite, 2.does the pet interact with their owner and surroundings, 3. can they get around reasonably well.
Your cat is still meeting all that so you aren't being cruel but if you really want to be sure to help him there's still a whole list of possibilities for his problems. I certainly can't diagnose him for you and if you go the a vet they will need to do blood tests for kidney problems, diabetes, overactive thyroid plus it sounds like he may have arthritis. A vet can also decide from a clinical point of view how severe any of the problems are and guide you in what you to decide to do to help him.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved