VetClick Discussion Forum

Will neutering help?

Posted by Northend77 
Will neutering help?
May 22, 2013 09:03AM
Hi, I have a 7 year old entire British Bulldog who excessively scent marks out on walks and at his dog sitter's house. He is also very persistent with sniffing (and occasionally getting overly friendly) with other dogs which has led to other dogs either getting fed up and having to be separated from him or getting aggressive with him (but he doesn't learn and goes back for more!)
My dog sitter has suggested I consider getting him neutered as it might help. I want to do something as it's going to get to a point where she'll stop having him stay and it seems to be getting worse out on walks
I wonder though if you think this will work seeing that he is now 7 or if there are other options I've not thought about
Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated
Thank you
Re: Will neutering help?
June 15, 2013 09:43AM
Hi

Yes I do believe neutering would help the problem. These are classic male dog traits which just become antisocial for everyone when they become much more prominant. Discuss it with your vet and get him checked over. As long as your dog is healthy, he's not too old to be neutered.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Re: Will neutering help?
June 15, 2013 05:49PM
Thank you Cathy. Since my post we have now had our dog neutered and he sailed through the operation and healing process - he doesn't even seem to be aware of what was done to him - he just spent a day looking like he's been abducted by aliens; very confused!!! We are already noticing some changes in him and it's only been a week so now I'm working on some training to break any habits he may have formed
Thanks again for your reply
Helen
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved