VetClick Discussion Forum

Feral Cat Injury

Posted by starbeauty 
starbeauty
Feral Cat Injury
May 09, 2013 01:28PM
I have a wild outside cat which I have trained to let me pick him up. He has been limping badly for a couple of months on his back left leg. Basically he walks on the tip of his back leg. This makes the leg a little longer. When he lays down it is always on his bad leg side. When he eats he now lies down on that side to eat. He will allow me to pick him up. I have probed around the whole area and get no reaction from him. A couple of days ago I noticed (as he was walking toward me) that the upper leg area where it joins the hip was popping/jerking.
Of course, cage rest is impossible as is putting him in a carrier to go to the vet. What about an anti inflammatory?
Re: Feral Cat Injury
May 23, 2013 04:04PM
Hi

It sounds like he might have an old dislocation of his hip or even an old fracture there. You can't give any human painkillers to cats they can be toxic, and in the UK where I practice there are regulations that prevent me just handing out medication to pets without seeing them. If he lets you touch and probe his leg are you sure you cant try to get the cat into a carrier to be seen and diagnosed. Then you could get something safely prescribed for him. That would be best.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved