VetClick Discussion Forum

Newly diagnosed Hyperthroidism

Posted by PopeyeCat 
Newly diagnosed Hyperthroidism
March 26, 2013 06:39AM
Hi,

My elderly cat (estimated 20 as he was previously a stray) was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 4 days ago. He has been prescribed 2.5mg Felimazole twice a day. I'm managing to get him to take them hidden in some chicken. I would like to know when to expect to see an improvement?
He hasn't lost a vast amount of weight but it is his beahaviour that has really changed which is why I took him to the vet. A friendly cat has turned in to a nervous wreck. He is currently hiding under the bed most of the time, I have to take him back in 3 weeks for blood tests to check thyroid again, but wonder if he should go back sooner if not better. Any advice on how quickly the treatment should make a difference would be most appreciated as I'm not seeing any improvement currently.

Thanks

Cath
ps Popeye is the cat in question
Re: Newly diagnosed Hyperthroidism
April 22, 2013 05:08PM
Hi

I would not expect to see a rapid improvement, it is a case of very gradual weight gain and lessening of the symptoms including the voracious appetite in most cats. The nervous hyper behaviour also tends to calm down gradually over a number of weeks. Hopefully by now things have improved. Your vet is right to monitor the response with blood tests as the thyroid level needs checking along with the possible unmasking of any hidden kidney disease. The tablet dose can need adjusting in some cats because of these issues.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Ted Jones
April 29, 2013 06:48PM
From the UK. We have 2 Rescue Cats, Misty - 18 year old Torty - and Mishca - 15 year old Tabby.
Two years ago both were found to have hyperthyroidism, were operated upon and the result was an immediate improvement. Unfortunately Mishca became very poorly again in Feb this year. Her second thyroid was failing!. She was prescribed Felimazole. The two cats, when rescued, - 8 years ago - were in a very sorry state but Misty bonded much more quickly and Mishca, a very lonely little cat took much more time. She ABSOLUTELY does not like being handled so we have devised various strategies to get pills into her. We were determined that we were not going to have an unhappy little cat!!!! She seemed to know that we were being devious and in a very short time she forced changes of plan on us! As it is with these affairs if it had been Misty then we would have had no problem getting her to eat the bottle as well! It soon became apparent after she had bit the Vet and scratched the nurse we were in trouble!!! The two cats were given a small portion of Tuna - one with a pill and one without - in the evening. A shiny pill at the bottom of the bowl meant both cats having more Tuna. As Michca became more aware - and we more frantic! - the small portion became large! We had to get an answer to this! THIS seems to work! Half an egg cup full of MOIST cat food COVERS the pill and the bowl covered with a saucer 3 or more hours before the evening feeding time. At feeding time the pill should have dissolved and the whole is mashed up THOROUGHLY! This is left until it has been eaten, any left is munched up again with a SMALL amount of food. This system has been operating for 2 months and so far we have had a 100% success rate!
May 14, 2013 07:13PM
Hi Ted

Thanks for giving us the benefit of your experiences in treating your cats, especially Michca. Its always more tricky when they don't want to take their medication.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved