VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat with Epilepsy

Posted by Lauren 
Lauren
Cat with Epilepsy
March 11, 2013 04:26AM
My Cat is only one but two months ago he suffered from two seizures, we took him to the vets and they didn't know what was wrong with him as nothing came back on his blood tests or MRI Scan, she said the problem may be from testosterone so we got him snipped and he didn't have any seizures after that but two days ago he was fast asleep and he just jolted up, ran around the house and had another seizure, we took him to the vets and she said that he suffered from epilepsy, she put him on some tablets phenobarbital but said that we should have him put down because he will be in pain from it. Is this the best solution because i've heard that cats with epilepsy can live a normal life and that it isn't painful?
Re: Cat with Epilepsy
March 29, 2013 01:44PM
Hi

I think you need another discussion with your vet about this diagnosis. There are some other causes of seizures such as viral diseases, metabolic diseases or parasite problems-have these all been ruled out? If they are certain there is no other underlying cause of seizures then cats can live with primary epilepsy, it is not a painful condition and can be treated with phenobarb or other drugs. So I dont understand why they have said this to you. Discuss it with your vet or seek a second opinion.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved