VetClick Discussion Forum

Fat Cat - Which food?

Posted by jessicamcmichael 
Fat Cat - Which food?
March 01, 2013 10:12AM
Hi

I recently rehomed a stray cat. We think he's about 3 years old and he was neutered about a week before we took him on 5 months ago. He is also an indoor cat at the moment.
He had an upset tummy and blood in his poo for quite a while so i tried him out on a couple of delicate foods and the only one he seems to be able to tolerate is the Purina Pro Plan Delicate. His stools are now fine but he has become incredibly greedy and has gained quite a lot of weight. I have tried reducing his food a bit but he now acts like he's being starved and runs over to his food bowl every time I move. I've tried to give him chicken or tuna as well as his dried food as I thought these may be less calorific and fill him up a bit more but he's really fussy and not interested in the meat.
I'm thinking about having a go at integrating another type of food slowly, but not sure whether I should go for a "light" food, food for neutered cats or food for indoor cats.
Are you able to advise?

Thanks
Jessica
Re: Fat Cat - Which food?
March 29, 2013 12:29PM
Hi Jessica

I certainly think you should try using a lower calorie/light diet as he's a neutered cat who has been a stray and is now an indoor cat. Cats that have been strays tend to always eat as if its the last meal they will ever get-because they have previously had to grab and gobble whatever food they could find. It will be a while before he changes that style of eating and some cats never do. Becoming an indoor cat is a big change for him too and his activity is no longer matching his calorie intake, plus neutered cats have a lower calorie requirement anyway. All these things are making it harder for you to keep him at a healthy weight. Of course be careful what food you switch him to-a sensitive stomach formulation remains a good choice and introduce it very slowly. I would avoid offering him the extra chicken etc especially as he doesnt seem to care for it-its all extra calories which will make it harder for you to control his weight. There's toys you can buy that make him work a bit more for the food, like a feeding ball that he would have to chase around to make the biscuits drop out. They provide entertainment for cats as well as stimulate them to exercise. Any set backs in the tummy problem should also merit a vet check up if it continues.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved