VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat with Spinal Damage ''Pulled Tail''..will he urinate?

Posted by Laura Stiff 
Laura Stiff
Cat with Spinal Damage ''Pulled Tail''..will he urinate?
February 11, 2013 09:43PM
Hi all,

I have a poorly kitty, Brutus who is 2 years old. It would appear that on 23rd January 2013 he was involved in an RTA. Brutus was x-rayed and it showed a damaged pelvis and a 'pulled tail' with a significant 'gap' in the sacral (spelling?) area; perhaps significant the tail is not pulled to an angle/diagnoally but straight. We were told he had little chance of recovery and was transferred to hospital for the weekend, during which time he failed to poo or urinate on his own - at this time he had no anal tone whatsoever.

On the 29th January 2013 and meeting a more optimistic surgeon, he underwent surgery to have his pelvis pinned and his tail amputated. He was catheterized at this time and given two weeks to recover. We were told at this time chances of recovery are around 30%.

His catheter was removed on the 4th February 2013 but put back in on the 6th February 2013 as there were no wees in this time.

Good news..on the 8th February 2013 the nurses and surgeon confirmed (after finding a number of stools in his litter tray and other indicators) that they were now convinced Brutus was pooing & knowing that he was doing it!

His catheter has been removed today and the vet has said he wants to give him a few more days.

We are encouraged to think he has gone from no anal tone whatsoever to now pooing regularly. Also, the effort the vet has gone to I perhaps naively believe means he sees some 'potential'. Heartbreaking, and I know common, is that Brutus is eating, pain-free, affectionate, and generally happy in himself so the worst seems unthinkable!

I have read about people who express their animals, but I am unsure on whether this is a long-term option particularly as Brutus is an adventurer in his very nature, and I feel expressing would require making him house-bound (we also have another two cats who have free roam in and out of the house to consider!). I think this would just make him miserable.

Brutus has been on liquid paraffin to help his bowel movements and is on medication to help his bladder contract (although he has not been given this whilst the catheter was in).

What I want to know is how likely do people think a recovery is..have any of you experienced this yourselves? Should we be encouraged about his bowel recovery or are the bowels and bladder COMPLETELY independent of each other? I understand the nerves are in the same area..

Any advice would be welcomed. I want to whats best for him, but how do you draw the line..if we had given up when they wanted us to, he never would have had the opportunity to regain his bowels which he obviously now has...
Re: Cat with Spinal Damage ''Pulled Tail''..will he urinate?
February 19, 2013 09:39PM
Hi Laura

Sounds like you and Brutus have both been through rather a lot of trauma. I can't give a specific time frame because every case is different but in my experience it can take many weeks before you find out the full extent of recovery of function in cases similar to Brutus. Bladder and bowels nerve control are quite closely related so you should feel encouraged that at least he has regained bowel function. It hasn't been a month yet and bladder control could yet return as nerves repair only very slowly, but full function is not guaranteed. You should consider the option of learning to manually express his bladder. I can think of quite a few of my clients who have successfully learnt to do that for their cat. I hope you can discuss trying that with your vet, I am sure they would be keen to help you. That way you would be gaining him more time so he can continue his recovery. If Brutus is happy I am sure this is worth it.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved